Is the defense truly improving, or a byproduct of preseason?

Rubes

As a complete non-expert, the biggest thing I noticed at the game Saturday was what looked like solid communication on D. I remember many times last year, before the snap, heads whipping around, wild gesturing, because guys weren't clear on the play, out of position, etc. Just based on observing non-verbal cues and body language, which I am more of an expert at than X's and O's, I felt I was looking at a group of guys that were cool as cucumbers in a bowl of hot sauce, and knew what they were doing.

But, yeah, preseason, vanilla play books and all that. I'm optimistic though.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think his point was that the lions probably didnt look bumbling in preseason if they finished 0-4.... not that we should be focusing on the record.

Yep, I didn't know so I looked it up. The Lions gave up 10, 10, 6, and 6 that preseason -- which sounds pretty good -- yet went on to have a historically bad defense.

We just won't know until we know.

The Washington Redskins game last year was the absolute low point for the D...no effort, no organization, no adjustments, no answers--the Bills made Kirk Cousins look like Tom Brady (Cousins' agent probably points to that game when he asks for more money). It was the game where Pegula's teenage son tweeted -- "Where's the defensive genius?" or something to that effect.. (I have been calling him Hank Steinbrenner/Jimmy Irsay ever since)...

Maybe the Bills can return to the scene of the mugging/assault this week and show some improvement. I expect the Skins will show some motion, insert some packages, conduct pre-snap adjustments that are regular season like-- this is the only game in the preseason where I think the performance may in a limited way reflect what will happen in real games. Its a good challenge -- the Skins have talent...

Edited by JoeF

I think the Bills defense will be better. They weren't very good last season and I expect them to be somewhere around 10-15 this year. Not great, but able to do enough to win some games. I think what you take away from pre-season is if they look like they know what the hell they are doing. Last season...didn't necessarily get that feeling. This season, they at least seem to have some idea that they are supposed to stop the other team from advancing the ball down the field.

The Washington Redskins game last year was the absolute low point for the D...no effort, no organization, no adjustments, no answers--the Bills made Kirk Cousins look like Tom Brady (Cousins' agent probably points to that game when he asks for more money). It was the game where Pegula's teenage son tweeted -- "Where's the defensive genius?" or something to that effect.. (I have been calling him Hank Steinbrenner/Jimmy Irsay ever since)...

Maybe the Bills can return to the scene of the mugging/assault this week and show some improvement. I expect the Skins will show some motion, insert some packages, conduct pre-snap adjustments that are regular season like-- this is the only game in the preseason where I think the performance may in a limited way reflect what will happen in real games. Its a good challenge -- the Skins have talent...

That wasn't the defense. It was Tyrod getting pantsed by Cousins. :w00t:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You can never tell if a unit is great, or even very good, in the preseason. There is too much experimentation with players and scheme, variation in playbook usage among teams and differences in usage of talent to get a good gauge of how units (or teams) will fare in the regular season. What you can sometimes tell is that a unit or team is going to be very bad. The Bills defense doesn't fall into that category and that is the positive I'm taking away. What they'll achieve beyond that is anybody's guess. Don't get too worked up about the preseason and remember that the Lions went 4-0 during the preseason the year they went 0-16 in the regular season.

I agree with this premise and we really don't know if Ryan is holding back at all or showing everything he has to look better this year. Most teams run vanilla schemes in pre-season while keeping things very simple so they can evaluate everyone properly.

If the defense looks this good against the Ravens, Jets, Cardinals and Patriots then Bills fans can start to get excited about this year. I say this because of how great the defense looked last year against the Colts and then fell on their face against the Patriots in the very next game. The defensive game plan needs to be consistent every week against every opponent and not just division foes.

On another note, there were times that Eli looked like he had a ton of time to make a play and the Bills secondary just wouldn't let him. This was the case in a lot of games last year and the secondary can't stop an offense by themselves as they need a solid pass rush to help them. Time will tell with this as nobody really knows what to expect with the pass rush except Ryan himself.

The defense has been ten times better in executing and knowing their assignments alone. They seem to be communicating quite well and Rex hasnt really shown much of the playbook. Just common blitzes and schemes..With the DBs we have it wont really matter, the DBs are so talented he will be able to detach the LBs a lot more, giving more zone like responsibilities rather than man.

It's a combination. Not having Gilmore and Awilliams (or even a competent replacement) for that skins game hurt a lot. We had no one to cover Reed at all - Rambo was too small and lawson/tarpley were too slow/bad. Missing KW all year definitely hurts.

Mario williams had a single tackle in that game so... his production shouldn't be hard to fill.

We did have 240 yards rushing in that game, but i remember the ball being moved at will against our D. Penalties killed us in a few games last year, that one included.

It's a combination. Not having Gilmore and Awilliams (or even a competent replacement) for that skins game hurt a lot. We had no one to cover Reed at all - Rambo was too small and lawson/tarpley were too slow/bad. Missing KW all year definitely hurts.

Mario williams had a single tackle in that game so... his production shouldn't be hard to fill.

We did have 240 yards rushing in that game, but i remember the ball being moved at will against our D. Penalties killed us in a few games last year, that one included.

Speaking of Mario Williams.....anyone notice his play so far this offseason?

That wasn't the defense. It was Tyrod getting pantsed by Cousins. :w00t:

Cousins 21 Tyrod 0. Game over. Defenses fault halfrod forgot to score points.

Pantsed!

Guess you forgot 2015. Pm me if you need any other game recaps.

Thank god he didn't get pantsed by Mariota and Kellen Moore. He pantsed fitz 2x so that's a start.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Obviously a couple preseason games is not sufficient to know much, but I do wonder how much is due to the players learning the system, and how much better is the coaching staff at teaching and getting in calls, etc. They do look better organized so far. Is it Rex, is it someone else, how much does Rob help, etc? The late calls made them look in full panic at times last year.