At some point, is someone in the FO accountable?

Virgil

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That statement is probably closer to the truth than either preseason means nothing or preseason means everything.

I don't disagree. It is still difficult to say, "well this sucks, the Bills look pretty good out there. I hate that they are doing so well stopping the run." It is hard to make it a negative, that was my point.

Not really sure what is surprising about me being someone that beats my chest. I tend to be objective when it comes to the Bills. I will tell you when something is good and when something is bad. There are some people (cough, cough) that only see things great or terrible. This was the perfect test to see if you could view being the top graded team as a negative!! Does it correspond to regular season results -no (for the 2nd time). I think that we would all (or everyone but you) feel better about a team that has graded out 1st instead of one that has graded out last.

Read what they are saying in New Orleans about there play this offseason. Panic mode is setting in because of how poorly they are playing. If that was here you would be starting your typical doom and gloom thread every 10 minutes. It is okay to celebrate the good and criticize the bad. My question for you is how can you possibly view this as a negative?

Simple answer "because he chooses to"

Pegula made it clear that this is Year 1 or Year 1 just ended or whatever. (IMO we are definitely in Year 4, arguably 7, arguably 11)

In your opinion, when would the front office be accountable (above Whaley)?

If this season is bad (3-7 wins)... and next season is too... should they just try to replace the coach again? Replace Whaley and keep the coach? Fire and replace both of them? Do nothing?

Or should they cut a little deeper in this case? Bring in someone from the outside to build a full program?

The problem I have with the people who say we need to clean house is that they are living on the dream that anyone that is brought in will do better than a 16 year drought. That it can't be worse than it is now. That is not true in the slightest. Nothing against the Pegula's or whoever would hire a whole new regime, but there is absolutely no guarantee of success, and it can get worse. It's not so easy as saying "ok wipe the slate, let's build a winning football program".

It's living on the promise of the unknown.

Edited by What a Tuel

The problem I have with the people who say we need to clean house is that they are living on the dream that anyone that is brought in will do better than a 16 year drought. That it can't be worse than it is now. That is not true in the slightest. Nothing against the Pegula's or whoever would hire a whole new regime, but there is absolutely no guarantee of success, and it can get worse. It's not so easy as saying "ok wipe the slate, let's build a winning football program".

It's living on the promise of the unknown.

We are on the cusp of the playoffs now. If someone thinks things are horrible now, they have no idea what horrible is.

We are on the cusp of the playoffs now. If someone thinks things are horrible now, they have no idea what horrible is.

If they've been bills fans long enough they should have had a glimpse into some serious 'horrible".

But I'll be the guy to take the public fall, for the right parachute.

After the 5-2 season with Trent and the Fitzmagic start, we've see a lot of cusps of the playoffs.

I can never blame anyone for being jaded about our future until the final seconds tick away and we've officially clinched the playoffs

After the 5-2 season with Trent and the Fitzmagic start, we've see a lot of cusps of the playoffs.

I can never blame anyone for being jaded about our future until the final seconds tick away and we've officially clinched the playoffs

We should probably kickoff the 3rd preseason game though before we determine the outcome of the regular season.

I understand that the players are grown-men and responsible for their actions. I get that injuries happen. But at some point, when does it stop being bad luck and start being someone making poor decisions to bring all of these people together?

Historically speaking, short of a meltdown or losing the locker room, coaches have gotten three years and GMs five.

That's sped up a bit lately, but there's no evidence that speeding it up has produced better teams. A lot of suspicion that it brings worse, though no proof that way either.

If we win, say five games this year, I'd guess we cold see immediate consequences. Otherwise, three and five would seem like reasonable guesses to me. In Terry's time with the Sabres, he's shown he has patience.

Yes, yes, yes!! I was waiting for your response!!

At the present moment the Bills are playing as well as any team in football. Is it an indicator of regular season success? No, but you are seeing the scheme stopping the run, the 1st team offense looking sharp, McCoy looking quick, Hughes looking great and they have gotten a little healthier.

Why are you taking this as a bad sign?!? Is it because the preseason results 25 years ago didn't correspond to the team's record?!? It is mind-boggling that you can interpret this as a negative. It really just rains every single day in your world.

When you were watching the Giants game and they went in for halftime what was going on in your head? You must have just kept thinking about those Jordan Gay misses, Felton fumble or the 22 yard completion to OBJ. You never see anything objectively. Everything isn't sunshine and rainbows but its not a thunderstorm either. A respected analytics site has said that the Bills have performed at a higher level than anyone else and you are seeing that as a bad thing.

The Levy Bills are hardly the only data point that shows that the preseason doesn't matter a whole lot. Last year the Bears went 3-1 in preseason. Did they tear up the league in the regular season? The Titans went 2-2 in preseason before getting the league's worst record. The Steelers went 1-4 before making the playoffs. And some teams, Carolina for instance, really have their preseason foreshadow their regular season. But that's the point, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Because it just really doesn't mean much.

And while I didn't look back, at least in the post you're looking at, he didn't say the PFW rankings were a negative. Just that they weren't a very significant positive, which is really a pretty reasonable thing to say.

I'll take that PFW thing a bit more seriously if it's still true after the whole preaseason. Right now it could be just that we happened to play two teams that are playing pretty badly in the preseason. Or not. Again, it's just too early to tell.

It's interesting, though, I give you and PFW that.

• 2 weeks later...

According to ESPN's twitter, the Bills could now be subject to fines because they have 3 players (even though Karlos got cut) who are being suspended 4 games due to substance abuse.

I should let this die, but even the league thinks we are accountable for the players actions.

Whaley brings in talent, but he also brings in personal problems. I mean, we've had a bunch of angels on this team before, and we finished 4-12, so I'm not sure I want Whaley gone quite yet... but yeah... I'm tired of the bad news every other day.

either you stock the roster (at a premium cost for the same talent) with guys that are rock solid character and health.... or you take some risks and have a more talented 53 that will sometimes hurt you