Bills cut Karlos Williams

FireChan

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, you can't always take a player's comment as gospel, but listening to Shady's interview today on WGR he surely came across as someone who had no idea why Karlos was released. Perhaps he was covering for the team but he is not the kind of guy to do that, and he usually answers the questions asked of him. He said he really had no idea. And he's in the RB room. Wilder, Jr., who is very close to Karlos, said the same thing. As did EJ. Those guys were close friends and not sure I would take them at their word for it, they are not going to badmouth him. But Shady genuinely sounded like he had no clue as to why Karlos was gone other than the obvious weight issue and other publicized stuff.

Yeah and Galette has torn his Achilles twice in the last couple of years. They may not want the headache but I was using them as an example (not advocating them specifically). There are multiple teams that have nothing to lose by bringing him in.

I definitely agree there has to be more to the story though. That would certainly answer a lot of questions.

The more to the story could actually just be "because Bills".

I don't get the move but in the end it's just a RB.

I know this much though, there is such a crop of RB coming in next years draft class that knuckleheads like Karlos are going to be even less tolerated so he'd better get his sh*t together pronto.

As of right now the Redskins RB depth chart is: Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, Keith Marshall and Mack Brown. That's kind of my answer. What do they have to lose (as an example)? They bring him in and spend the month trying to get him ready. If he slips up they cut him (and can no doubt add someone like Mack Brown back). If he gets in shape and gets his stuff together he at worst splits carries with Jones. They have nothing to lose.

He's no good during the suspension....once he's cleared to play and proves he's in shape, I think he'll be signed

He's no good during the suspension....once he's cleared to play and proves he's in shape, I think he'll be signed

But until the suspension a team could get him into their program, give him the playbook, etc...it's extremely telling that he was not claimed, particularly since he's playing on a 5th round rookie contract.

He'll get another chance, I'm sure, but I'm sticking with my prediction that he'll be out of the league within two years.

Granted, you can't always take a player's comment as gospel, but listening to Shady's interview today on WGR he surely came across as someone who had no idea why Karlos was released. Perhaps he was covering for the team but he is not the kind of guy to do that, and he usually answers the questions asked of him. He said he really had no idea. And he's in the RB room. Wilder, Jr., who is very close to Karlos, said the same thing. As did EJ. Those guys were close friends and not sure I would take them at their word for it, they are not going to badmouth him. But Shady genuinely sounded like he had no clue as to why Karlos was gone other than the obvious weight issue and other publicized stuff.

There may have been a subtle change in Rex's usual "players have no muzzle" policy...when you consider they've told Manny not to give any interviews since the news of his possible suspension leaked.

I also think that, to a large degree, players do feel a kinship to one another even if they know a guy screwed up. I'm not surprised teammates wouldn't throw Karlos under the bus -- what purpose would it serve? They know the guy made a terrible mistake and feel bad for him.

There may have been a subtle change in Rex's usual "players have no muzzle" policy...when you consider they've told Manny not to give any interviews since the news of his possible suspension leaked.

I also think that, to a large degree, players do feel a kinship to one another even if they know a guy screwed up. I'm not surprised teammates wouldn't throw Karlos under the bus -- what purpose would it serve? They know the guy made a terrible mistake and feel bad for him.

This. Players arent going to kick other players when they are down. But for what its worth, Sal (who is usually pretty decent) reported yesterday that Karlos had lost a lot of respect and trust from teammates and coaches going back to voluntary OTAs and minicamp.

He's one of the few that skipped ALL of the voluntary workouts, and then shows up way out of shape and unprepared, and then gets suspended, and then regresses after finally passing his physical... While our stable of RBs is fairly deep and other guys are working their butts off to compete and make the team.

Players may act surprised to the media, but I doubt anyone is that shocked.

To NoSaint and Kirby

Karlos going unclaimed could be simple economics. As a 5th rounder he signed a 4 year deal which means that team would be on the hook for 3 more years after this. So a flyer on him would be a little more costly then letting him clear waivers then signing him for just this year. 525k for 1 year would be a good deal for a flyer but approx. 2 million for a 3 year deal if he doesn't get his head on isn't.

I will guarantee Karlos is signed shortly AFTER his suspension. It could even be by the Bills if he gets his stuff together and it will be for very close to the league minimum.

To NoSaint and Kirby

Karlos going unclaimed could be simple economics. As a 5th rounder he signed a 4 year deal which means that team would be on the hook for 3 more years after this. So a flyer on him would be a little more costly then letting him clear waivers then signing him for just this year. 525k for 1 year would be a good deal for a flyer but approx. 2 million for a 3 year deal if he doesn't get his head on isn't.

I will guarantee Karlos is signed shortly AFTER his suspension. It could even be by the Bills if he gets his stuff together and it will be for very close to the league minimum.

Don't understand the reasoning here. He's a 5th round pick. Tiny contract. Not on hook for small signing bonus. It's all salary. It's an enormous bonus to have him for three years at that rate. If he doesn't perform you cut him and lose next to nothing. If he does perform he's a steal for two more years. The rest of the four year deal isn't guaranteed.

To NoSaint and Kirby

his isnt on spotrac after being terminated but pulling the pick ahead of him, the salaries the next 3 years for that player are 525k, 615k, and 705k

the team that claimed him would have a 3 year contract that comes out to a total of $45k over league minimum for the duration (at league minimum for this year) with zero bonus dollars or guaranteed money if they want to cut him at any time during it. and thats the contract the pick ahead of him is playing on.

theres really no cost to it -- like ive been saying, claiming him would essentially be right of first refusal on a 3 year league minimum deal with no guarantees. he shows up a mess and you send him home having paid him nothing and not having taken up a roster spot.

Edited by NoSaint

KW has pretty much a league minimum contract already and could be cut at any time without being on the hook for the remainder of the season, much less the deal. A team could have signed him, paid him ~$120K in salary for the 4 games he missed, which is a pittance, and had him for the rest of the year. They could also have forced him to lose weight and get into shape in the meantime as a condition of employment. No one even wanted to do that.

To NoSaint and Kirby

I wouldn't think it's economics, or at least, what economics there are favor the signing team. None of the money is guaranteed, and he's not a vested veteran, so if they cut him they owe nada (not even this year's salary), while if he gets his act together and has a good season, they've essentially got a deal as though they drafted him - a good player locked down for two more years at a bargain rate.

I would more expect it's the timing of his cut by the Bills which, despite the attempt at sugar-coating it as "give him a chance with another team", makes clear that the Bills didn't want his a** around their locker room one more day - because otherwise, why not hang on to him until cut-down?

Companies are always suspicious of hiring employees who are "laid off" individually and not as part of a general downsizing. The idea is if your group is told "cut one guy", you're gonna cut the weakest link and possibly the rotten apple. And contrary to the Jackson 5 song, one bad apple can indeed spoil the whole bunch.

Edited by Hopeful

Don't understand the reasoning here. He's a 5th round pick. Tiny contract. Not on hook for small signing bonus. It's all salary. It's an enormous bonus to have him for three years at that rate. If he doesn't perform you cut him and lose next to nothing. If he does perform he's a steal for two more years. The rest of the four year deal isn't guaranteed.

his isnt on spotrac after being terminated but pulling the pick ahead of him, the salaries the next 3 years for that player are 525k, 615k, and 705k

the team that claimed him would have a 3 year contract that comes out to a total of $45k over league minimum for the duration (at league minimum for this year) with zero bonus dollars or guaranteed money if they want to cut him at any time during it. and thats the contract the pick ahead of him is playing on.

theres really no cost to it -- like ive been saying, claiming him would essentially be right of first refusal on a 3 year league minimum deal with no guarantees. he shows up a mess and you send him home having paid him nothing and not having taken up a roster spot.

hmmm I guess I misunderstood it then. Here are his contract details. I thought the team that claimed him would be on the hook for the remainder of his contract and it would be as written. I knew they wouldn't be on the hook for signing bonus but thought they would for the remainder of any guaranteed money.

hmmm I guess I misunderstood it then. Here are his contract details. I thought the team that claimed him would be on the hook for the remainder of his contract and it would be as written. I knew they wouldn't be on the hook for signing bonus but thought they would for the remainder of any guaranteed money.

He doesn't have any guaranteed money.

I would more expect it's the timing of his cut by the Bills which, despite the attempt at sugar-coating it as "give him a chance with another team", makes clear that the Bills didn't want his a** around their locker room one more day - because otherwise, why not hang on to him until cut-down?

This statement, along with players not bad-mouthing him, is the best way for the Bills to "protect" Karlos while also meeting their desire to get him the hell out of the building.

"We're not going to give up on Karlos Williams. I can tell you that."

People give Belichek a ration of crap for being sullen and not saying much at the press conferences and to reporters. But this is why, so you don't have to look stupid and retract statements after the fact. Our FO has a lot to learn, just shut up and play ball.

People give Belichek a ration of crap for being sullen and not saying much at the press conferences and to reporters. But this is why, so you don't have to look stupid and retract statements after the fact. Our FO has a lot to learn, just shut up and play ball.

Rex has made it clear that he's not going to try to learn that. He will win or lose but he is what he is.