NFL threatens to suspend players named in Al-Jazeera report

YoloinOhio

If they don't agree to be interviewed by the league by 8/25. For conduct detrimental. I thought this report was deemed as not credible?

On his Facebook page today, Adam Schefter published a letter from Adolpho Birch, the leagues senior vice president of labor policy and league affairs. Birch specifically names the Pittsburgh Steelers James Harrison, the Green Bay Packers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers, and Mike Neal, a free agent who last played for the Packers. Those four players have sent sworn affidavits to the NFL.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-threatens-to-punish-players-named-in-al-jazeera-rep-1785321245?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodell really grabbing at thin air now....

I don't think anyone other than Goodell gives a damn about this. Seems outrageous to retroactively implicate and hold these guys accountable to this new standard.

I'm fine in theory with the commissioner having total power and all, but this guy should not be that guy... He takes stuff way too personal, forgets that it's a business.

Edited by Jobot

Goodell really grabbing at thin air now....

I don't think anyone other than Goodell gives a damn about this. Seems outrageous to retroactively implicate and hold these guys accountable to this new standard.

I'm fine in theory with the commissioner having total power and all, but this guy should not be that guy... He takes stuff way too personal, forgets that it's a business.

I think this is more about their refusal to interview with him. He can't let a precedent like that occur. If he does nothing to these guys, then what happens the next time a player refuses to interview or do something else he says? This is about keeping control. I'm not a fan of Goodell, but he's got no choice but to go down this path now. And it's not like every single one of these guys isn't almost certainly guilty. Maybe most people don't care, but I do. I'm sick of the cheaters getting away with crap like this and watching them win.

Just accusations and he can suspend now? Slippery slope.

They're not being suspended for what they're accused of (PED use), they're being suspended for refusing to interview with the league.

I don't think anyone other than Goodell gives a damn about this.

I think if you have a real push player safety and not just lip service, then you have to give a damn. But then again, if you had a real push for player safety, you would let these guys smoke weed as a pain reliever instead of having to take Toradol by the handful...

My thoughts exactly

if you were at your job and your boss asked you to come in his office to review accusations of drug use or sexual harassment and you refused it would be the same as this.

By the way you popped up on my fb. Hope to see you at the game this year!

NFLPA is pissed. This is all about commish exerting his control just like the Brady thing. Now the players do need to cooperate but not sure he should be able to suspend ...

Boyst had a good take on this. If you have a workplace allegation of breaking the rules an investigation must take place. That is what is happening here. The NFL wants to interview them. The NFL is their employer. Sure they can refuse but then it is up to their employer how to handle it. Much the same as you would be suspended until you complied if not terminated for refusing to comply.

The players should go interview. The NFL has already cleared Manning so any lawyer worth a salt can question the validity of the report based on that. Go answer a few questions and be done with it.

Edited by section122

Boyst had a good take on this. If you have a workplace allegation of breaking the rules an investigation must take place. That is what is happening here. The NFL wants to interview them. The NFL is their employer. Sure they can refuse but then it is up to their employer how to handle it. Much the same as you would be suspended until you complied if not terminated for refusing to comply.

The players should go interview. The NFL has already cleared Manning so any lawyer worth a salt can question the validity of the report based on that. Go answer a few questions and be done with it.

i see that point and agree they should interview. But wasn't the report considered not credible? I could see if they were accused by their peers, other players, coaches, etc like that example. I don't really know anything about Al Jazeera though.

I agree with all of this except the Manning part. The NFL quit pursuing his involvement for PR reasons and because he was retiring. Why publicly tear down a face of your league when you can't do anything to him anyway? He'd probably be in the same boat as these guys if he was coming back though. The NFL has let players fight PED suspensions throughout a season and then allowed them to retire quietly before. Patrick Willis and Jason Worilds come immediately to mind. Both had major PED rumors and both walked away in their prime with no real explanation. There were others I can't think of right now that did the same.

These are pretty serious allegations. If Matthews, Harrison, and Peppers have ties to terrorist organizations it could look very bad for the NFL. Especially since the NFL has strong ties with the US Military.

Finally! Someone who gets it. I had the same thought.

And -I think this is the first time I've ever heard this on the board......

Boyst had a good take on this.

Did Peyton interview?

Yes and he was subsequently cleared

"The NFL has determined that Peyton Manning did not use human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing drug banned under the league's policy. The league announced its decision in a statement released Monday, saying it "found no credible evidence" of allegations in an Al-Jazeera America report that Manning's wife received deliveries of HGH in 2011. Before making its final determination, the NFL interviewed Manning and his wife, Ashley, who were "fully cooperative with the investigation," according to the league. The NFL also received medical records pertinent to the case and, after reviewing them and the interviews, determined there wasn't any evidence that any violation had occurred."

i see that point and agree they should interview. But wasn't the report considered not credible? I could see if they were accused by their peers, other players, coaches, etc like that example. I don't really know anything about Al Jazeera though.

It was an article based on secretly recorded info that was later recanted. This will all easily go away all the players have to do is sit down and cooperate. Manning has been cleared and the witness recanted. These interviews won't take long as I would imagine this is more about the NFL showing it looked into it rather than prosecuting it.

And -I think this is the first time I've ever heard this on the board......

That's why I had to give him credit. He had a rough off season!

I agree with all of this except the Manning part. The NFL quit pursuing his involvement for PR reasons and because he was retiring. Why publicly tear down a face of your league when you can't do anything to him anyway? He'd probably be in the same boat as these guys if he was coming back though. The NFL has let players fight PED suspensions throughout a season and then allowed them to retire quietly before. Patrick Willis and Jason Worilds come immediately to mind. Both had major PED rumors and both walked away in their prime with no real explanation. There were others I can't think of right now that did the same.

The NFL didn't quit pursuing it. He supplied medical records, interviewed, and his wife interviewed. They cleared him after he cooperated. If it was a back room deal we have to strap our tin foil hats on before we discuss it.

if you were at your job and your boss asked you to come in his office to review accusations of drug use or sexual harassment and you refused it would be the same as this.

By the way you popped up on my fb. Hope to see you at the game this year!

That's true, but I'm not part of a union, if I was I would expect my union to take the lead and consult me. if they told me don't interview, I wouldn't interview. Although admittedly its difficult to put myself in this position

I got season this year so I'll be there for the all of them :thumbsup:

Agree with this.

clay Matthews too. Always wondered about that guy.

He and Cushing were both on those USC teams. It's quite possible they were into the same things and Cushing already got busted by the league. There is no solid proof though, no trainer saved needles or anything.