NFL threatens to suspend players named in Al-Jazeera report

YoloinOhio

Why? This story never gained much traction with the media or fans when it first broke and that was months ago.

I don't mean for show as in spectacle I mean for show as in have to show they are doing something about it. If these players had cooperated we wouldn't have heard much other than they were cleared just like we did with Manning. There are people on this board that didn't even realize Manning had been cleared. The league likely just wants to close the book on this but has to do some sort of due diligence.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean for show as in spectacle I mean for show as in have to show they are doing something about it. If these players had cooperated we wouldn't have heard much other than they were cleared just like we did with Manning. There are people on this board that didn't even realize Manning had been cleared. The league likely just wants to close the book on this but has to do some sort of due diligence.

That's the way I interpreted your statement and my question stands. If no one really cared then and no one cares now, why do they have to show they're doing something about it? This non-story was all but forgotten by the public. Most of us thought the Al Jazeera story was discredited. Why dredge it up again unless, perhaps, there is something there?

Edited by Jauronimo

if you were at your job and your boss asked you to come in his office to review accusations of drug use or sexual harassment and you refused it would be the same as this.

By the way you popped up on my fb. Hope to see you at the game this year!

I was going to make this exact point. In all y'all's little jobs, there is HR. If HR gets a complaint, they have to investigate it. No evidence needed, no "smoking gun," A complaint = and investigation.

If you don't cooperate, you're done. Pretty simple.

I can see the players side. As a backdrop, I competed at a national level in powerlifting ( which makes 0$) amd was tested at every meet. Lie detector, urine, and one was a hair test. I don't care I was clean.

The flip side is it is an at best sketchy organization, and the players have to be interviewed every time they have a scathing report on them. That can place them as a target. Now, Harrison poked the Bear with a tweet stating he had a PED test, shocker at "random" after the report.

Test the freakin guys and if they are clean, they are clean. The dirty secret is the way they are testing makes it easy for people to beat it with HGH, primarily because the three year blocking of agreeing to the way HGH was tested is silly.

The IOC figured out decades ago how to test for HGH and remain accurate. This is where I go out on a limb, because there is no way 100% of these NFL players are clean from a PED standpoint. I care more about this aspect than smoking weed. A competitive advantage is just that.

For Manning, he's retired so a moot point. For the active players, test the guys and randomly, and forget about it. The overarching comment is change the damn tests and policy so you can catch everyone. Then let's see their size, etc.

The last point I don't know is how accurately are they testing for blood doping. These DB's and WR's can receive a significant advantage from blood doping. Again, not accusing, I just don't know how efficiently they test for doping like the Olympics. Just freakin mimic the Olympics testing.

That's the way I interpreted your statement and my question stands. If no one really cared then and no one cares now, why do they have to show they're doing something about it? This non-story was all but forgotten by the public. Most of us thought the Al Jazeera story was discredited. Why dredge it up again unless, perhaps, there is something there?

For exactly the reason gug put below (in one thread I had to agree with gug and jboyst...)

Although most of us don't care and believe it to be a false report, it was a report none the less. They can't do what they did to Brady and turn around and do nothing in this situation at least imo. Which again is why I say the players should just sit down and knock this out.

For exactly the reason gug put below (in one thread I had to agree with gug and jboyst...)

Although most of us don't care and believe it to be a false report, it was a report none the less. They can't do what they did to Brady and turn around and do nothing in this situation at least imo. Which again is why I say the players should just sit down and knock this out.

But they were doing nothing and no one cared. Which is Jauronimo's point.

Aaron Rodgers on issue:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17331063/aaron-rodgers-speaks-nfl-suspension-threats-julius-peppers-clay-matthews

"I think it's pretty typical of how things have been going with them lately," Rodgers said of the NFL pursuing the investigation. "It sets a bad precedent, I think, that any wild accusation -- accredited [or not], legitimate or illegitimate -- they're going to try and bully these guys into testifying.

And on the reverse of it any issue NFL has, legitimate or illegitimate, is drawn out and disputed and plea bargained and whined about in press no matter how much evidence in press - it goes both ways. NFLPA wants to be judge in this case and dismiss everything.

Poor comparison. These would be used totally differently if both were allowed.

Please elaborate for my amusement.

The league office will follow up on any credible evidence that has potential to harm the image of the league, the fairness of competition, or the well being of its players.

I truly have missed your sage words.

I realize you have a full plate and then some Mr. Goodell, but please take a moment a bit more often to stop in and clarify the NFL's position on such important subject matters.

Its greatly appreciated

Signed

A Fan

Edited by 3rdand12

Please elaborate for my amusement.

I truly have missed your sage words.

I realize you have a full plate and then some Mr. Goodell, but please take a moment a bit more often to stop in and clarify the NFL's position on such important subject matters.

Its greatly appreciated

Signed

A Fan

Interaction with fans is one of the best rewards for an NFL Commissioner. Thank you for your continued support as we strive to make our league more competitive and more accessible to fans while at the same time keeping the safety of players and fans as our top priority.

But they were doing nothing and no one cared. Which is Jauronimo's point.

Do you really think nobody cares? Do you really think NE fans who already think Goodell screwed them don't care? In this day and age do you really think nobody cares? Of course it isn't as big a deal as other situations which is why I am of the (repeated) opinion that the NFL just wants to give the appearance of doing something about it.

An investigation was begun and can't conclude until all parties have been interviewed. Simple as that. I don't think the NFL is looking to hang any of the players named.

Interaction with fans is one of the best rewards for an NFL Commissioner. Thank you for your continued support as we strive to make our league more competitive and more accessible to fans while at the same time keeping the safety of players and fans as our top priority.

Thank you for taking the time. It means a great deal to folks like me.

Do you really think nobody cares? Do you really think NE fans who already think Goodell screwed them don't care? In this day and age do you really think nobody cares? Of course it isn't as big a deal as other situations which is why I am of the (repeated) opinion that the NFL just wants to give the appearance of doing something about it.

An investigation was begun and can't conclude until all parties have been interviewed. Simple as that. I don't think the NFL is looking to hang any of the players named.

To turn this upside down, why wouldn't the NFL want to take apart al Jazeera and everything upstream for slandering the NFL's good name?

Roger is out of his mind. Unless there is a legal investigation into players an article written by anybody has no bearing and is just hear say. If Rog wants to investigate it should be into al jazeera into where they got their information.

Again, the league has done its own investigation and needs to have these guys interviewed to complete the investigation. Pretty simple stuff here. They have stated that they think at least one guy is lying in his affidavit.

These guys have no choice...interview or suspension. Therefore their efforts to avoid this simple sit down make little sense---they have already denied everything, why not come into the league office and deny it in person?

NFLPA is pissed. This is all about commish exerting his control just like the Brady thing. Now the players do need to cooperate but not sure he should be able to suspend ...

If you are called in for a question, and you refuse to answer, you are treated as guilty--it would be that way for every one of us that works for someone else. If you're innocent, answer the questions and move on. As much as all want it to be, this is not a Goodell problem.

The MMQB @theMMQB 12m12 minutes ago

.@AlbertBreer on why the four players named in the Al Jazeera report should not show up in NYC to answer Goodell.

If NFL Wants a War, Players Should Give It to Them

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/18/nfl-union-al-jazeera-ped-roger-goodell-notebook

Edited by YoloinOhio

The MMQB ‏@theMMQB 12m12 minutes ago

.@AlbertBreer on why the four players named in the Al Jazeera report should not show up in NYC to answer Goodell.

If NFL Wants a War, Players Should Give It to Them

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/18/nfl-union-al-jazeera-ped-roger-goodell-notebook

The league has told the union it has evidence beyond just what’s been reported publicly. The union responded, “Show us.” League: “That’s not how an investigation works.” Union: “Well, then how do we know you have credible evidence?”

They are exactly right. This isn't how an investigation works at all. As someone who routinely does workplace investigations you interview people and take statements while gathering evidence. You don't share evidence beforehand to give people a chance to make a good story. Tbh the fact that the players are making this big of a deal of it makes me wonder if they have something to hide.

Again, the league has done its own investigation and needs to have these guys interviewed to complete the investigation. Pretty simple stuff here. They have stated that they think at least one guy is lying in his affidavit.

These guys have no choice...interview or suspension. Therefore their efforts to avoid this simple sit down make little sense---they have already denied everything, why not come into the league office and deny it in person?

Yup simple as this...

The league has told the union it has evidence beyond just what’s been reported publicly. The union responded, “Show us.” League: “That’s not how an investigation works.” Union: “Well, then how do we know you have credible evidence?”

They are exactly right. This isn't how an investigation works at all. As someone who routinely does workplace investigations you interview people and take statements while gathering evidence. You don't share evidence beforehand to give people a chance to make a good story. Tbh the fact that the players are making this big of a deal of it makes me wonder if they have something to hide.

Yup simple as this...

I agree

If you are called in for a question, and you refuse to answer, you are treated as guilty--it would be that way for every one of us that works for someone else. If you're innocent, answer the questions and move on. As much as all want it to be, this is not a Goodell problem.

that characterization depends pretty widely on the nature of the questions involved.

our bosses may not like us refusing to answer questions, but what consequence is levied (in this case suspension without pay) would not be a "gimme" of a result

I agree

which is exactly what anyone with that authority banks on in being able to push the issue. public opinion always falls to "well if you didnt do anything...." and rarely to "i wonder what they are trying to get out of this negotiation"