Don't sleep on Glass Goodwin--making a good impression

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to figure out why people are hating on the kid who's having the best camp in years and can really help the offense this year.

Btw, he had a decent rookie 2013 and it's still a mystery why Marrone mothballed him when he was healthy in 2014.

This isn't high school--no on is"hating on" anyone.

Go back and read the whole discussion and then join in if you wish to contribute.

I guarentee the safety worries more about what bolden is doing than a guy on IR. And anyhow I've heard for eons how these speed guys take the top off of the defense, but the top offenses don't seem to even have these guys.

They're out there. ODB, Deshawn Jackson, Julio Jones, Travis Benjamin...there are some guys who are speed guys that produce and burn the defense deep. Of course, there's also the Heyward-Bays and Ted Ginns of the world.

I guarentee the safety worries more about what bolden is doing than a guy on IR. And anyhow I've heard for eons how these speed guys take the top off of the defense, but the top offenses don't seem to even have these guys.

Oh. I never considered that feature :nana: .

Because there really on only many 4.2 guys to go around. and you cannot guarantee anything of the sort

Lets talk about a guy who does stay on the field mostly. Antonio Brown. He scares the poo out of D coordinators and DBs across the league.

Part of Goodwins issue was Fitz, who could not throw deeper than then the shallow end of the pool, then, Marrone who hates certain players people because he is/was an egomaniacal sort of swell. and Marquise who keeps shooting his foot somehow.

Graham who was fast would be left alone in the endzone. No one cared. Because #jumpball.

Teams have speed guys . Or they have another method. Thats really not a defense Brother 20.

I'm trying to figure out why people are hating on the kid who's having the best camp in years and can really help the offense this year.

Btw, he had a decent rookie 2013 and it's still a mystery why Marrone mothballed him when he was healthy in 2014.

yes. why the super dislike. His personal story should be enough.

Maybe some folks just like to argue.

wait....

If I understand it, then yes, it must be. :D

we do think differently. But then the same.

Very zen of you Beer. honestly. If i can touch it? It is real.

They're out there. ODB, Deshawn Jackson, Julio Jones, Travis Benjamin...there are some guys who are speed guys that produce and burn the defense deep. Of course, there's also the Heyward-Bays and Ted Ginns of the world.

Thanks dayman for the assist. it takes all kinds. Coaches have preferences and all kinds of factors apply.

Can you protect your QB long enough? Is one of those features. Brady cannot throw a deep ball anymore, but they find a way to pass and win.

Heck and hell Fitz did alright last year too.

Can Roman and Tyrod do Goodwin well?

But here i am back to my if's and hopes.

Someone needs to cane me for hoping.

This isn't high school--no on is"hating on" anyone.

Go back and read the whole discussion and then join in if you wish to contribute.

I have read the whole discussion and I mostly saw people ragging on the kid, despite reports of an impressive camp. I joined the discussion after an inane comment that Bills aren't serious about the playoffs if Goodwin is on the final roster. Then followed by your usual in depth contributions.

Just think about it.

Sammy Watkins - We know what Sammy Watkins means.

Robert Woods - A HEALTHY Robert Woods working out of the slot with these players around him is a viable threat anyway you look at it.

Charles Clay - Clay is not Gronk, but Clay is going to give us more in the future if Tyrod grows. Clay can and will be better for us that he was last year, and he wasn't bad last year.

Marq Goodwin - Super fast and, if healthy for an extended period of time, pretty dangerous.

The safeties have to respect the speed if Tyrod can make the throw, they have to. So the Anquan Boldin comment above makes no sense, it's not about who they are most concerned about it's about where they can line up.

This line means they have to go 2 deep and leave the middle open for Clay and Woods, or slide one way or the other leaving Watkins or Goodwin able to fly down the side...of course then the corners back off and the hitch stuff opens up etc.

It's a pretty damn good WR crew compared to almost any WR crew I can remember us having in recent memory. And it's better than most teams in the league.

It's a pretty damn good WR crew compared to almost any WR crew I can remember us having in recent memory. And it's better than most teams in the league.

I don't know about that.

I have read the whole discussion and I mostly saw people ragging on the kid, despite reports of an impressive camp. I joined the discussion after an inane comment that Bills aren't serious about the playoffs if Goodwin is on the final roster. Then followed by your usual in depth contributions.

Ilf you saw most posters ragging on him then I know you haven;t read through the thread. Or you "mostly saw" what you wanted to see.

Ilf you saw most posters ragging on him then I know you haven;t read through the thread. Or you "mostly saw" what you wanted to see.

Yes most posters ragged on him.

Care to dig up your contribution to this thread?

It's certainly a conversation that should/will be had by the coaches when they're compiling the final roster, but if he makes it out of camp and preseason action without getting hurt I don't think it'd be wise to cut him because you think he's going to get hurt at some point in the season. Not on his first contract at least.

It's certainly a compelling argument to make in terms of resigning him to a deal or as a UFA next year, and one I'm sure every suitor will have, but because of his contract number, his draft position, and most importantly because of his talent, I don't think you can preemptively cut him this year.

Again, if he gets hurt though, all bets are off.

:lol: Goodwin is a much better football player than Graham ever was. This is a silly comparison, like I said it's lazy and easy and inaccurate.

Surviving training camp and all the preseason games is all they can go on. If the WR room had more talent, if he were more of a bubble player, then it'd certainly be a more interesting debate. But the guy has proven to be able to beat the press and use his speed as more than a gimmick.

He just hasn't been able to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, he's the 3rd best WR on the team and it's not even close. You don't cut your 3rd best WR just because he might get hurt unless you have someone nipping at his heels on the depth chart. The Bills don't seem to have that guy.

Agree on comparison between Goodwin and Graham.

If his competition was 1st and 2nd year players it would be different but almost all of the players competing for his services next year will cost about the same so there is no money advantage on them unless one of the players looks good and is willing to sign an extension; players with years left on initial contract would have an advantage. Whether Goodwin is 3rd WR depends greatly on how they evaluate the WRs and roles they will play so Goodwin being 3rd WR is an opinion not a fact.

Dezmen Lewis is likely to make the roster whether he is 3rd, 4th or 5th WR for that reason - anything the Bills are able to train him on is capable of being carried to following year with minimum cost increase.

Yes most posters ragged on him.

Care to dig up your contribution to this thread?

Personally........I've been waiting for two years for Goodwin to have to care about making an impact.

is there a way where there is now a will for Mr. Glass? :flirt:

Deranged Rhino and I rarely agree because he is such a persnickety nitpicker, often confuses the various Duke Williams' and is a die-hard Olympics fanatic( :worthy: faceplant!) but we do agree that Goodwin can flat out play football.

He's more talented than Bob Woods, though too :beer:

Personally........I've been waiting for two years for Goodwin to have to care about making an impact.

is there a way where there is now a will for Mr. Glass? :flirt:

Deranged Rhino and I rarely agree because he is such a persnickety nitpicker, often confuses the various Duke Williams' and is a die-hard Olympics fanatic( :worthy: faceplant!) but we do agree that Goodwin can flat out play football.

He's more talented than Bob Woods, though too :beer:

There's certainly a possibility that he never devoted his full mindset to NFL with the 2016 Games in the back of his mind. And as someone else remarked up-thread, missing the cut brought him to the oh, **** moment - I need to start thinking of my real paycheck going forward.

Don't think the two are unrelated. Perhaps the hope will be fully realized this year.

I don't think the Giants consider OBJ their speed guy, nor does Atlanta of Julio. They catch the ball everywhere.

Not to mention Heyward-Bey and Ginn had good years last year too.

Put it this way.... If Goodwin is still on this roster come September, I KNOW this team isn't serious about making the playoffs. -What's the definition of insanity again?

Dunno, but I suspect that it is not "disagrees with #34fan." (Dig your name, though!!)

And I'd also bet that you could do as well as I at putting together a list of guys who didn't play well for three years and then blossomed. Not that I'm convinced that will happen here, but it is one of the possibilities.

Edited by Thurman#1

There's certainly a possibility that he never devoted his full mindset to NFL with the 2016 Games in the back of his mind. And as someone else remarked up-thread, missing the cut brought him to the oh, **** moment - I need to start thinking of my real paycheck going forward.

Don't think the two are unrelated. Perhaps the hope will be fully realized this year.

I have already had people on here telling me it won't be fair of me to assert that impending free agency had a big impact on the performances of Woods and Goodwin..........and that's just based off a few positive camp reports. :lol:

If it's in them, they will show it NOW.

For Woods it's not about trying harder........it's about the preparation from the end of last season thru training camp.

He's stronger, faster and more focused because now he's got millions of reasons to be.

For Goodwin.......it's prep, effort, toughness........basically everything because for the most part he's just been f*cking off the past couple seasons.

Because he could.

He's been trying to avoid getting injured to a point where he couldn't compete at his best in the olympics.

Case in point was a play last preseason where Tyrod had him on a nine route for a 50 yard gain on the sideline and Marquise saw the safety coming and just let the ball drop.

It's one thing to get alligator arms in the middle of the field........but when the sideline is a foot away to protect you? Sheesh.

And this is coming fan a big fan of his talent. The guy has elite movement skills, excellent hands and body control and of course incredible deep speed.

He doesn't want that stuff he's been perpetrating for the last couple years on his audition tape and he knows it.

When asked about football.......the first thing he says is he "wants a second contract". Just a weird, weird way to put that isn't it? :lol:

He wants another payout.......preferably front loaded of course in the event that he decides he wants to take a crack at the 2020 Olympics. :lol:

The question with him is the fact that he is going into his walk year 20-25 pounds lighter than he would have been if he had gone Antonio Brown on his opportunity 3 years going to leave him so vulnerable to injury that he REALLY suffers a season ending injury this year rather than the weak-ass tap-outs he used the past two seasons to give him more time to train for his hop dreams?

Edited by #BADOL