Don't sleep on Glass Goodwin--making a good impression

becaise we've already seen his body of work and it isn't good. He either sucks in real games or gets injured. So we have a roster spot for someone that isn't worth a roster spot when someone else could contribute, or at least get some experience.

Look, I'm with everyone in that I HOPE, he does well. But I have serious doubts that will ever happen. For the record, I hope in eating crow and apologizing to everyone here about my crusade the last few years. I really do.

Absolutely not true. The ONLY reasonable knock on Glass is that he's always getting hurt. That's it. He's an excellent route runner, has good hands, and takes the lid off the defense.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely not true. The ONLY reasonable knock on Glass is that he's always getting hurt. That's it. He's an excellent route runner, has good hands, and takes the lid off the defense.

and all that amounts to 20 catches and 3 touchdowns in 24 games played. YEAH, real stud of a player there.

I don't get people here sometimes, so quick to label drafts picks busts after just a season with no contribution, yet this guy has had 3 years to prove himself and has produced less than an average receiver does in 3 games and people still make excuses for him, It's hilarious actually.

Edited by mrags

and all that amounts to 20 catches and 3 touchdowns in 24 games played. YEAH, real stud if a player there.

I don't get people here sometimes, so quick to label drafts picks busts after just a season with no contribution, yet this guy has had 3 years to prove himself and has produced less than an average receiver does in 3 games and people still make excuses for him, It's hilarious actually.

Dude, show me where Glass has performed poorly when he was in the game. He can't control the # of targets.

You can't prove yourself if you're not in the game. Question his frailty until the cows come home; that's a legitimate beef. But he has been good in practice and he has been good in games when given an opportunity.

You sound petty.

Dude, show me where Glass has performed poorly when he was in the game. He can't control the # of targets.

You can't prove yourself if you're not in the game. Question his frailty until the cows come home; that's a legitimate beef. But he has been good in practice and he has been good in games when given an opportunity.

You sound petty.

he hasn't been good in games. He averages a catch a game and a TD every 10 games. It's just not good. On top of it, his frailty is in serious question. His heart is also a question after the crap he pulled with the Olympics and saying he would rather do that and football was just an ends to a means.

You ask to show you proof where he hasn't performed? His proof are his 20 starts in the league and producing almost nothing. Period. You comment about how he can't control his targets... That's funny, and another excuse as to why his numbers aren't better. Real receivers don't make excuses, they demand the ball by constantly being open, by constantly catching the ball, by constantly proving they are a target worth throwing to. Glass is an often injured, decoy. Other teams know he's not getting the ball he's not "blowing the top off defenses", he's justifying single coverage with no help and telegraphing to defenses where the ball is going. At least not to him. His 20 catches in 3 years proves that much.

I like you Eball but your sounding silly if you are fighting the facts on this. The facts are there. They are unquestioned. A guy with and average of a catch a game and a TD a year is just plain not good. No matter what excuses you can think of.

Edited by mrags

@mrags -- I criticized Glass for the Olympic stuff. I critique him for his frailty. But I don't deny his talent and ability, which is what you're doing.

We can agree to disagree; I'll simply say that IF Glass stays healthy -- and it's a HUGE if -- he will justify his roster spot. He can do things in this offense other players can't do.

Fair enough?

You sound petty.

I've already brought this up. He appeared in 10 games in 2014. Had 9 targets, 1 catch. I just don't see where he played well in games. What was memorable about his play that year?

@mrags -- I criticized Glass for the Olympic stuff. I critique him for his frailty. But I don't deny his talent and ability, which is what you're doing.

We can agree to disagree; I'll simply say that IF Glass stays healthy -- and it's a HUGE if -- he will justify his roster spot. He can do things in this offense other players can't do.

Fair enough?

ill agree that we will agree to disagree. I won't agree that he can do things in this offense that other players can't. He has SOME speed. He's not other worldly fast. He's just a little faster than other real NFL WRs. And I say real WRs because he has already proved that he is a track athlete first and foremost.

I deny his talent altogether. I don't think he is anything special in any way and believe he steals a roster spot from someone that might actually contribute or at the least gain some experience for the future.

It's just my opinion. I really hope I'm wrong. I really hope Glass has a 1,000 yard season and 10 TDs this year. And if he does, I'll gladly eat crow and apologize for my crusade.

However, I firmly believe that the Glass lovers (and I'm not saying you, just in general) will always make excuses, and never give up on the belief that he really is good noattwr how bad he is.

So if you want to make that deal, if he stays healthy (as you said, huge if) and doesn't produce more than 20 catches and 300 yards (not that hard for an NFL WR but would be double his career production) you admit that he sucks. And if he produces the same amount, I'll almost that he's actually good and admit I had a crusade against him since we drafted him.

I've already brought this up. He appeared in 10 games in 2014. Had 9 targets, 1 catch. I just don't see where he played well in games. What was memorable about his play that year?

but he has world class speed (lol) that can take the top off the defense...

Lol

ill agree that we will agree to disagree. I won't agree that he can do things in this offense that other players can't. He has SOME speed. He's not other worldly fast. He's just a little faster than other real NFL WRs. And I say real WRs because he has already proved that he is a track athlete first and foremost.

I deny his talent altogether. I don't think he is anything special in any way and believe he steals a roster spot from someone that might actually contribute or at the least gain some experience for the future.

It's just my opinion. I really hope I'm wrong. I really hope Glass has a 1,000 yard season and 10 TDs this year. And if he does, I'll gladly eat crow and apologize for my crusade.

However, I firmly believe that the Glass lovers (and I'm not saying you, just in general) will always make excuses, and never give up on the belief that he really is good noattwr how bad he is.

So if you want to make that deal, if he stays healthy (as you said, huge if) and doesn't produce more than 20 catches and 300 yards (not that hard for an NFL WR but would be double his career production) you admit that he sucks. And if he produces the same amount, I'll almost that he's actually good and admit I had a crusade against him since we drafted him.

That's just not his role on this team. You can pat yourself on the back now. You don't get and it looks as if you just won't. Moving along.

To be fair to 2014 - he had several injuries and i believe missed time in camp. He was on the injury report for probably like half the year, and by the time he was healthy he was passed by Hogan in their eyes. Hogan is no longer here - therefore Goodwin has just as much a right to the 3rd receiver spot as any of the other guys on the team.

Also - that offense clearly didn't stress using more than 3 receivers. Mike williams was the 4th highest receiver with 8 catches. I'm not sure our current one really does either.

We shouldn't put someone else ahead of goodwin just because goodwin hasn't done much. None of the guys vying for this spot have done much. The best guys in this camp and this preseason should get the job.

Edited by dneveu

Sure, I think Glass can surpass 20/300 if he's healthy. As noted by 26CB, though, don't ever expect Glass to be a 1K receiver -- what #3 WR in a run-oriented offense ever puts up those kind of numbers?

That's just not his role on this team. You can pat yourself on the back now. You don't get and it looks as if you just won't. Moving along.

yeah, what was I thinking. Expecting a WR should actually catch footballs in the NFL. I must be crazy.

I don't get you 26. I respect your knowledge of the game and your input here at TBD but your reaching on this one. The guy is just not any good and he's often injured to boot.

yeah, what was I thinking. Expecting a WR should actually catch footballs in the NFL. I must be crazy.

I don't get you 26. I respect your knowledge of the game and your input here at TBD but your reaching on this one. The guy is just not any good and he's often injured to boot.

The oft injured is not in dispute, but to say that he has no football talent is just plain wrong IMO. It's okay to disagree on this.

Sure, I think Glass can surpass 20/300 if he's healthy. As noted by 26CB, though, don't ever expect Glass to be a 1K receiver -- what #3 WR in a run-oriented offense ever puts up those kind of numbers?

i never said I expect him to produce that much or would expect it, like you said, from a 3rd WR. I said I would absolutely love it if he did.

I put my expectations out there. Even IF he stays healthy, I would bet my paycheck that he doesn't finish with 20 catches or 300 yards this season.

The oft injured is not in dispute, but to say that he has no football talent is just plain wrong IMO. It's okay to disagree on this.

im never going to change your mind and vice versa. But at the end of the day a WRs job in the NFL first and foremost is to catch the ball and score TDs. He's shown he doesn't do that very well. Being a decoy doesn't work when other teams know he's not going to get the ball anyway and the numbers prove that.

Football talent is arguable. If your in the NFL, you have some football talent. That doesn't mean your a good player tho. Ryan Leaf had football talent.

Im arguing that you see football talent as speed. They are 2 completely different things. Renaldo Nehimaya had football talent then I guess.

Edited by mrags

And it was also brought up that this needs to be taken up with Marrone & Hackett. You have to ask them why they didn't utilize a healthy Goodwin, in the same way that Manny Lawson was suddenly a washed up LB under Schwartz, but is highly valuable to Pettine & Rex.

Looking at Roman's offense it's moronic to write off Goodwin before the competition for spots ends. He gives you a free option. If he beats out the other guys in camp, that's great, and hope that he stays healthy.

If not, you can always add the zero contributions from the likes of Hankerson & Little somewhere in mid-season.

i never said I expect him to produce that much or would expect it, like you said, from a 3rd WR. I said I would absolutely love it if he did.

I put my expectations out there. Even IF he stays healthy, I would bet my paycheck that he doesn't finish with 20 catches or 300 yards this season.

im never going to change your mind and vice versa. But at the end of the day a WRs job in the NFL first and foremost is to catch the ball and score TDs. He's shown he doesn't do that very well. Being a decoy doesn't work when other teams know he's not going to get the ball anyway and the numbers prove that.

Football talent is arguable. If your in the NFL, you have some football talent. That doesn't mean your a good player tho. Ryan Leaf had football talent.

Im arguing that you see football talent as speed. They are 2 completely different things. Renaldo Nehimaya had football talent then I guess.

For arguments sake - who would you keep in his place?

Stop lying. None of that is even remotely true.

Goodwin has absolutely no natural awareness when the ball is in the air. The last two preseason games I've seen him play his poor route running has led to incompletions when they should have been huge gains if not touchdowns.

I for one was very impressed with Goodwin after his rookie season three years ago and had extremely high hopes for him. But he's done nothing but regress as a player since then.

Stop lying. None of that is even remotely true.

Goodwin has absolutely no natural awareness when the ball is in the air. The last two preseason games I've seen him play his poor route running has led to incompletions when they should have been huge gains if not touchdowns.

I for one was very impressed with Goodwin after his rookie season three years ago and had extremely high hopes for him. But he's done nothing but regress as a player since then.

Lying? So an opinion of what attributes he has that runs counter to what you believe is a lie? :doh:

Watkins

Woods

Powell

Salas

Little

Lewis

Easley

should all make the team ahead of Goodwin.

i would agree with this list. I also would have added Hankerson before I added Goodwin.

In another way of saying it, I would have kept any other WR or signed a guy off the street before signing a guy that I already know to have injury issues and contribution issues over his first 3 years.