Our medical staff

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a bunch of men 220-370 pounds running full speed into eachother and falling all over eachother. What the hell you thinks going to happen? Things are going to break, bodies are going to ache, brains are going to get scrambled. The only time teams and fans complain about is injuries is when your losing. Go out and win some games and no one will be posting about Ragland.

Only complaint or suggestion I'd make is when a guy shows up fat and out of shape run him for the entire camp. Ragland looked like he was smuggling donuts in the back of his pants, MD looks like he had the rest of Ragland's donuts in his Moobs. Brandon Spikes is in better shape than both of them and the only football he has played is on PlayStation.

Edited by Commonsense

You have a bunch of men 220-370 pounds running full speed into eachother and falling all over eachother. What the hell you thinks going to happen? Things are going to break, bodies are going to ache, brains are going to get scrambled. The only time teams and fans complain about is injuries is when your losing. Go out and win some games and no one will be posting about Ragland.

Only complaint or suggestion I'd make is when a guy shows up fat and out of shape run him for the entire camp. Ragland looked like he was smuggling donuts in the back of his pants, MD looks like he had the rest of Ragland's donuts in his Moobs. Brandon Spikes is in better shape than both of them and the only football he has played is on PlayStation.

agree

So you can't go from a partial tear to a full tear from not treating it properly. You should make sure everyone knows this doc.

The poster I followed was responding to your contention that the Bills shouldn't have let Ragland walk off the field. Specifically you made the statement "1. Rather than use precaution they let Ragland walk of the field on his own with a partially torn ACL. Even though it was a non contact injury which almost always involves a tear of some sort."

Depends upon ancillary injuries, but people can walk around (with reasonable care) on even fully torn ligaments without causing further damage. That's a fact.

That fact does not imply or support the statement "you can't go from a partial tear to a full tear by not treating it properly". That is a non-sequitor and a straw man. You can, of course, but walking straight ahead has a low probability of this, especially once a careful evaluation has been performed IOW it is not generally considered to be "not treating it properly"

But pray, proceed - since you appear to be on a nice little crusade here.

PS while you're asserting your medical knowledge, would you care to source your statement that "non contact injuries almost always involve a tear of some sort"? Thanks!

Partial tear? It's a grade 2 sprain.

Tom, that's what makes it a grade 2 sprain, you know that right? Stretched and partially torn ligaments with some instability but a definite end point = grade 2?

Edited by Hopeful

My gut is this thread is born out of the frustration of injuries, but that is the NFL. Watch training camp on the NFLN. Teams all over the league are dealing with injuries. I can buy the split field may have encouraged more soft tissue injuries at the beginning of last year as Rex stated in an interview. I was actually impressed with his candor over that decision.

I'm not a doctor, but in the medical field for 18 years, and been in surgery, interventional procedures for most of this time. It is kind of silly for lay people to debate over things like whether you can walk off a field with an ACL tear. If you've watched the NFL for some time, then you have watched more than enough games where a guy walks off the field in a game, and nods up with an ACL tear. I'll give you one example with Tyron Matthews last year. Their medical staff allowed him to walk off the field and he had a full tear.

I know we're all frustrated with these injuries, but he medical staff is not causing the injuries. It is simply monstrous guys with freakish speed going all out to make a living and some get hurt. The only culpability is when you have a guy like Karlos Williams coming to camp 25 lbs. overweight. That's unacceptable, and on him. He's at risk to get hurt, so the medical staff wisely chose for him basically to get in shape vs. practicing and getting hurt.

I still think all these ligament injuries the league has been seeing in modern times is due to the amount of muscle players are putting on their bodies. But I'm not a doctor, so I guess I'll just say the Bills suck because a guy sprained something or whatever.

The only recent thing I'd have issue with the medical staff for is clearing Lawson pre-draft saying he wouldn't need surgery while other teams moved him down because they knew he'd need to go under the knife sometime soon.