Reggie Ragland to have knee surgery; out for season

BREAKING NEWS:

A six member council of the supreme and general inquisition has been established to include Bucky Gleason, Mike Schopp, The Bulldog, and to be led by Grand Inquisitor Jerry Sullivan.

The accused parties are said to include the entire Bills training staff, led by head of strength and conditioning Eric Ciano, head coach Rex Ryan, general manager Doug Whaley, and owners Terry and Kim Pegula.

The competency of the current training staff, extent of crimes against humanity committed at One Bills Drive, and proper punishment, if any, are the issues to be explored. Maximum penalties may include burning at the stake.

The council will convene today at 5:00pm at One Bills Drive.

Critics of current Bills training protocol and supporters of widespread change among the training staff are encouraged to attend. In anticipation of a large turnout, early arrival is encouraged.

"It's not too early to staaaaat shaaapening yaaaah pitchfaaaks and lighting yaaaah taaaaches," commented Grand Inquisitor Sullivan, when asked about the threat of violence at the inquisition.

Further details will be posted as they become available.

You may have crossed the line Fading.

Seek the Embassy at once

I have no medical knowledge on the subject, but I suspect you are exactly right here. They are going to take their time and try to make the right call for the young man's career. As much as we would all like to have him this year, including the Bills management and coaches, a mistake here could cost him another year or worse. A week more or less in the decision process is not going to make any difference.

I approve of this post

Dr 3rdand12

Midwife to the stars

I honestly think we should be thankful Bills picked up Spikes and Hawthorne. If they out play Lattimore all the better. I think they can PS Lattimore??

Desperation and desire will serve no one here well.

Let it be.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been through both partial and full ACL tears, I would bet that there is about a 95% chance he's going to need surgery, and he would be better off just getting it over with ASAP. I had a partial tear with good stability, rehabbed hard, then tore the bejeezus out of it four months later in a pretty routine fall.

Even if it is 'only' a partial tear, stability will never get any better than it is today. There is not enough blood flow to the ACL to prompt any healing. Even if it is relatively stable today, the ligament is compromised and unable to provide full support in all directions. Reggie Ragland's job is to get repeatedly body-slammed by 300 pound strongmen. The rigors of football will snap what's left of his ACL in due time.

Having been through both partial and full ACL tears, I would bet that there is about a 95% chance he's going to need surgery, and he would be better off just getting it over with ASAP. I had a partial tear with good stability, rehabbed hard, then tore the bejeezus out of it four months later in a pretty routine fall.

Even if it is 'only' a partial tear, stability will never get any better than it is today. There is not enough blood flow to the ACL to prompt any healing. Even if it is relatively stable today, the ligament is compromised and unable to provide full support in all directions. Reggie Ragland's job is to get repeatedly body-slammed by 300 pound strongmen. The rigors of football will snap what's left of his ACL in due time.

Throw on a brace and get out there.... The doctor in the video said if you have enough muscle you don't need an ACL. Geeeze rag doll, hit the gym?!?

I heard the report that Ragland was walking around it but bandaged and no crutches

That didnt make sense to me....if you are trying to get swelling down on a injury you would have thought he would be on crutches and using the R.I.C.E. method care.....to get the swelling down to get the good MRI look.

I dont know what to make of that

Good question, John. Viewpoints differ, but there seems to be consensus that it's important to not immobilize the knee completely. So even in the 1st 24-48 hrs, the current idea is that periods of motion and muscle contraction under compression actually helps squeeze fluid from the joint. And one viewpoint is that after 24-48 hrs, ice is of questionable help. If his trainers are of a different viewpoint, the usual protocol is ice for 20 minutes then at least 20 minutes off, which might be when he's seen walking around.

Looks like surgery. They aren't sure if it's season ending first or 6-8 weeks

@IanRapoport

#Bills LB Reggie Ragland is set for surgery later this week on his partially torn ACL, per source. The knee is believed to have other damage

During Reggie Ragland's surgery, he'll learn whether his season is over or if it's a 6-8 week recovery. Either way, he'll miss serious time.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Barley good questions. To the best of my knowledge, though, it's often a bit less clear cut - in a grade 2 sprain, there may be instability due in part to swelling and to stretching of the ligaments, and there's a judgement call involved in whether or not a partial tear should be surgically repaired or whether it will provide enough stability to the joint as it heals.

I expect no one is in a hurry to make a decision, and that's probably the right call - let the swelling subside completely and then re-assess.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Breaking: Ragland to have surgery on partially torn ACL. Knee may have "other damage." During surgery they'll determine if it is a 6-8 week recovery or if he will be lost for the season.

Edit: whoops, I see Wayne already posted. Oh well.

Edited by eball

Looks like surgery. They aren't sure if it's season ending first or 6-8 weeks

@IanRapoport

#Bills LB Reggie Ragland is set for surgery later this week on his partially torn ACL, per source. The knee is believed to have other damage

During Reggie Ragland's surgery, he'll learn whether his season is over or if it's a 6-8 week recovery. Either way, he'll miss serious time.

Crap. Should have read through the rest of the thread.

I'm now more concerned with Ragland and Lawson getting healthy and On the field. Missing TC and preseason is a much bigger deal for rookies than vets so I'm no longer counting on help from them this season. 2016 should now be about getting them right physically and getting them some NFL experience, if possible. Then they can come into next season healthy and ready to hit the ground running.

Lawson is on PUP, which is important. He must miss at least 6 weeks, but he can return without using our one IR designated-to-return allowance. That can be used for Ragland. Or he can be carried on the active roster if the team thinks he will only miss a few weeks of the regular season.

Good luck to the kid this week.

Edited by BarleyNY

Breaking: Ragland to have surgery on partially torn ACL. Knee may have "other damage." During surgery they'll determine if it is a 6-8 week recovery or if he will be lost for the season.

Edit: whoops, I see Wayne already posted. Oh well.

see ya next spring reggie. too bad, great draft pick by Whaley and Rex would have used him well. now, no Shaq, no Reggie, no listenbee they go 8-8 coaches get blamed and both get fired. Polian was right, injuries directly affect whether coaches stay or not even though coaches have nothing to do with injuries. lets just eliminate camp for the top 40 guys, just have mini camps and tryout camp. the guys are all in shape anyway all camp does is wreck the regular season. this is getting old ..