2016 Brazil Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise. Surprise.

I never understood the Lochte bashing. Yeah, he exaggerated it; but it happened. They were extorted at gun point.

Because the international media (including ours) wants a romantic portrayal of what the Olympics are about. Essentially they want to convince the world that Brazil is a first rate country, and spare the nation embarrassment. In reality Brazil suffers from incredible crime rates, corruption, and everything else under the sun. The media is so hung up on globalization that they want to convince us that many nations are far ahead of where they really are. This has basically become the mission of the Olympics in recent years. Same thing with recent games in Russia and China as well as Greece. Nothing that portrays these countries in any remotely negative light seems to come out during the games. I'm sure the IOC had plenty to do with the spin that got placed on the story. The media didn't mind slandering Brazil with Zika fearmongering, but they didn't want to go as far as telling the truth that the Olympics were being held in an essentially lawless land. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Because the international media (including ours) wants a romantic portrayal of what the Olympics are about. Essentially they want to convince the world that Brazil is a first rate country, and spare the nation embarrassment. In reality Brazil suffers from incredible crime rates, corruption, and everything else under the sun. The media is so hung up on globalization that they want to convince us that many nations are far ahead of where they really are. This has basically become the mission of the Olympics in recent years. Same thing with recent games in Russia and China as well as Greece. Nothing that portrays these countries in any remotely negative light seems to come out during the games. I'm sure the IOC had plenty to do with the spin that got placed on the story. The media didn't mind slandering Brazil with Zika fearmongering, but they didn't want to go as far as telling the truth that the Olympics were being held in an essentially lawless land.

This!!!!

Indictments make front page, acquittals the back. "We did it! We made it! (Rio)" Hardly... You crap hole of a country... But shop on consumerist 'Merica! Nice watching the Triathlon bike around the rich sections of Rio 8 times.

Even when they held the other swimmers... How the heck does Feign (sp) get to pay for a "settlement". Incredible, and nobody blinks an eye and sponsers pull Lochte. Wow, I am not saying they are choir boys, but did they get caught in a sh*tstorm of a country! Bunch of dummies.

With globalization, those companies like Speedo, just love to make their cheap crap in cesspools similar to Brazil.

Viva la Brasil!

Surprise. Surprise.

I never understood the Lochte bashing. Yeah, he exaggerated it; but it happened. They were extorted at gun point.

I agree. (As usual) I was wickedly confused. ;-)

Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Central or South America has had a police officer try to extort money from them.

It's happened to me numerous times. You don't even have to do anything wrong...Just look like you have money.

It is part of the culture. I was trying to explain this to people who never heard of it. I was gonna comment on how maybe Lochte didn't understand it, but they had to be briefed on it?

It is not dishonorable like a bribe up here in our culture. From what I reckon, it is a sign of respect to say the police officer and his family.

I haven't been down there (outside of Mexico), but my BiL travels a lot and married a Mexican woman. This is how he explained it to me. I assume Portuguese culture similar to Spanish.

Culturally accepted payola. People get so offended by it up her (and maybe rightly so)... But such is life... Carry $$$ for this purpose, or you will be a poor slob with the other slobs... Not giving benny of doubt.

Sonething I take Brazil and IOC don't want to bring to forefront after Lochte and his posse ran afoul with private security???

How do you explain Feign's $$$ "settlement?"

Surprise. Surprise.

Not sure about it. It may be just like Washington, DC meter maids who duplicate tickets and use them again but noone does anything about it - accepted by local authorities because those they do this are from out of their jurisdiction. It may just be acceptable in Brazil to tax foreigners this way.

Not sure about it. It may be just like Washington, DC meter maids who duplicate tickets and use them again but noone does anything about it - accepted by local authorities because those they do this are from out of their jurisdiction. It may just be acceptable in Brazil to tax foreigners this way.

Yep! And Lochte dump as a stump didn't get it. He thought he was robbed. What is being robbed in this country may just be paying "tribute" in another. Yeah, Brazil is pretty effed up. You think the USOC would have the athletes trained on all the cultural aspects.

The Olympics needs to be in one or two locations and then alternate them. Greece and a location in the USA would get my vote. This would reduce the economic hardship

on the host nation(s) since facilities would be built once then re-used. Alas the IOC would be deprived of the graft and corruption they extort during the 'bidding' process, so

this idea wont hold water.

and yes, somewhere Hope Solo is saying "Thank you, Lochte."

Only Americans don't get it!

He !@#$ed up, admits he !@#$ed up and yet some of u clowns can't see it!

If a Foreigner made this **** up in the States it would be big news as well.

Note to self: when in another country, don't act like an American Ignomorus!

Every athlete had security yet these 4 clowns ignored them and snuck out on their own then talk **** about the country that embraced them.

Only Americans don't get it!

He !@#$ed up, admits he !@#$ed up and yet some of u clowns can't see it!

If a Foreigner made this **** up in the States it would be big news as well.

Note to self: when in another country, don't act like an American Ignomorus!

Every athlete had security yet these 4 clowns ignored them and snuck out on their own then talk **** about the country that embraced them.

What are you talking about? I haven't seen anybody doing anything but pounding on Lochte.

Well, let me tell u guys first hand. I met hundreds of Americans and many more from other countries over the last 2 weeks and they absolutely loved Rio and Brazil. Not one tourist, volunteer or worker complained about the Country and the city.

A few told me it was their first time and wont be their last.

You fine Yanks have a strong dollar. You can eat the best steak and have a few pops and pay about 30$. I'm talking the best of the best. We saw Kuchar, Grillo, the Basketball Australian team eating at the high end restaurant and you would pay 100R$ ( 33$ ).

The fine Texan I met, and had supper with, said that the meal we ate ( Shrimp and risotto with 3 pints ) would cost about 60-80$ in the States if not more. He paid 28$.

I guess I am a little sensitive cuz I live in Brazil and the Olympics went very well. Especially after reading and listening to all the problems there were prior. One thing I believe more than ever after the Olympics. DONT BELIEVE THE MEDIA. I witnessed it first hand on how they spin a story to what they want. Its unreal.

Cheers all,

Go Bills.

BTW, if I someone can show me how to post pics, I would post them. I got many from my olympic experience.

Yep! And Lochte dump as a stump didn't get it. He thought he was robbed. What is being robbed in this country may just be paying "tribute" in another. Yeah, Brazil is pretty effed up. You think the USOC would have the athletes trained on all the cultural aspects.

I guarantee you every athlete had American Special Agents. For example, the golf team had 2 agents assigned for the 4 players including the 2 PGA tour security. I walked with Bubba for the first 3 days as he had the biggest crowd and the Security Guard never left his side for the whole round and to bring him to his hotel. They also had armored cars to drive to and from the golf course.

These 4 swimmers went out on their own after the agents told them not to.

Edited by PO16FFS

Well, let me tell u guys first hand. I met hundreds of Americans and many more from other countries over the last 2 weeks and they absolutely loved Rio and Brazil. Not one tourist, volunteer or worker complained about the Country and the city.

A few told me it was their first time and wont be their last.

You fine Yanks have a strong dollar. You can eat the best steak and have a few pops and pay about 30$. I'm talking the best of the best. We saw Kuchar, Grillo, the Basketball Australian team eating at the high end restaurant and you would pay 100R$ ( 33$ ).

The fine Texan I met, and had supper with, said that the meal we ate ( Shrimp and risotto with 3 pints ) would cost about 60-80$ in the States if not more. He paid 28$.

I guess I am a little sensitive cuz I live in Brazil and the Olympics went very well. Especially after reading and listening to all the problems there were prior. One thing I believe more than ever after the Olympics. DONT BELIEVE THE MEDIA. I witnessed it first hand on how they spin a story to what they want. Its unreal.

Cheers all,

Go Bills.

BTW, if I someone can show me how to post pics, I would post them. I got many from my olympic experience.

I guarantee you every athlete had American Special Agents. For example, the golf team had 2 agents assigned for the 4 players including the 2 PGA tour security. I walked with Bubba for the first 3 days as he had the biggest crowd and the Security Guard never left his side for the whole round and to bring him to his hotel. They also had armored cars to drive to and from the golf course.

These 4 swimmers went out on their own after the agents told them not to.

So Brazil is awesome but people need security to go with them everywhere. Got it.

Let me see if I have this straight. Lochte and his buds tried to use the bathroom but it was locked, so they urinated on the wall. In the process of leaving, he knocked-down some promotional poster, but did no damage at all. Then some for inexplicable reason armed guys came up to them and demanded money. Sounds like armed robbery to me, more than filing a false police report.

Agreed.

Even if they had trashed the entire place, it still sounds like armed robbery. I am pretty sure if you damage someone's stuff, the remedy is not to extract a cash payment for the damage at gun point.

I imagine this is SOP in most third world countries.

Agreed.

Even if they had trashed the entire place, it still sounds like armed robbery. I am pretty sure if you damage someone's stuff, the remedy is not to extract a cash payment for the damage at gun point.

Yup.

So Brazil is awesome but people need security to go with them everywhere. Got it.

Keep diggin. You getting deeper and deeper with your ignorance!

I can speak for the golf. The only countries that had security were the Americans: 1 per player and the Australians, 1 for the team.

So the thousands of fans, volunteers and workers didnt. Your statement is crazy.

I once drove from Toronto to Pittsburgh and when I got there at 3 am. I ended up in the wrong area. It wasnt a fun situation.

Because getting a cheap steak and pint is what really makes a city. :thumbsup:

For visitors: tourist Attractions: The beach, Christ Redeemer, Sugar Loaf, Great restaurants and cheap whores.

What else do you need?

Edited by PO16FFS