Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

From what I understand Bosa's side have proposed contracts that are totally consistent with other top-5 picks under the current CBA (i.e. they either get no offset language or 100% 1st year SB). The Chargers are arguing that they've never conceded either of those things to one of their rookies. But of course, they've never had a top-5 pick under this CBA before. So I think it's pretty clear that the Chargers are the ones being unreasonable here. If Bosa meets the Chargers half-way, he's signing an arbitrarily worse contract than any other 3rd overall pick has signed. The Chargers seem to have the leverage to get their way by force, but why should they want to? It makes them look cheap, and now this public smear campaign against their own player makes them look petty.

Jameis Winston was the #1 overall pick last year, and he got both offsets and a deferred bonus payment.

Carson Wentz got both this year as well.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, offsets is a silly thing to argue about for the Chargers. If he's a bust and they cut him, how much do they really think they'd save based on what he'd get from another team?

This isn't baseball where a guy who sucks can still get $8MM/year.

If it is true that they have wanted to draft him for years and he was #1 on their board since September, and knowing since January they had the 3rd pick, and knowing the precedent that most of the top 5 picks since new CBA lack certain offset language/deferments, and knowing that they as an organization do not leave out said offset language/SB deferments per their own policy...

Perhaps discussing these contractual philosophies with Bosa's agent before drafting him would have been wise. Due diligence. If you refuse to change your policies for anyone, you may need to draft someone who will not challenge them.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If it is true that they have wanted to draft him for years and he was #1 on their board since September, and knowing since January they had the 3rd pick, and knowing the precedent that most of the top 5 picks since new CBA lack certain offset language/deferments, and knowing that they as an organization do not leave out said offset language/SB deferments per their own policy...

Perhaps discussing these contractual philosophies with Bosa's agent before drafting him would have been wise. Due diligence. If you refuse to change your policies for anyone, you may need to draft someone who will not challenge them.

You think there is another #3 pick who would accept a deal from the Chargers that is not as good as other top 5 picks get as far as offset/etc?

I don't see why any guy they picked would think differently than Bosa and his agent. The Chargers seem to be the outliers here...

You think there is another #3 pick who would accept a deal from the Chargers that is not as good as other top 5 picks get as far as offset/etc?

I don't see why any guy they picked would think differently than Bosa and his agent. The Chargers seem to be the outliers here...

if bandits anecdote about the eagles is correct - it seems they had this very conversation with the QBs and got positive answers as far as flexibility. i think this has gotten down to the type of issue where the chargers are out of line but A LOT of people would give up the fight with them at this point.

if bandits anecdote about the eagles is correct - it seems they had this very conversation with the QBs and got positive answers as far as flexibility. i think this has gotten down to the type of issue where the chargers are out of line but A LOT of people would give up the fight with them at this point.

Did the Eagles offer their top pick the same arrangement the Chargers are demanding?

And is a top draft pick going to play hardball before a team picks him #1? I really doubt that.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Did the Eagles offer their top pick the same arrangement the Chargers are demanding?

And is a top draft pick going to play hardball before a team picks him #1? I really doubt that.

Wentz has both offsets and a deferred portion of his signing bonus; this is quite common. Bosa's side is exaggerating at best, flat-out lying at worst.

Now being reported that 3 of the last 4 number 1 picks have the same language. Also that Zeke has 40% deferred. Curiousier & curiousier.

Not to mention, you...are....a......rookie. Who has proven nothing in the NFL. You're able, based on talent, industry demands, and your own hard work (kudos to two out of three) to sing a document and guaranteed millions of dollars when you're barely old enough to drink, and you want MORE guarantees? Really? How about you go play the f-in game, prove what you're worth and when your 2nd contract comes up, you can significantly increases your value, thereby increasing your return. It's odd to me how many people take the side of the player....the organization needs to mitigate some risk here as well, and in light of the information about off-sets and deferments, it would seem all the more - Bosa, just go play, keep your head down, work hard, be a great teammate, and love the franchise for giving you an opportunity less than an a extremely tiny fraction of people will ever get. Go prove it before you demand it.

Bosa can be a good player but will never be a good teammate, so I applaud San Diego, and wish more NFL teams would use the leverage that they have to deny astronomical salaries to selfish punks like him. I was a Dallas fan for many years but that changed when Jerry Jones caved and gave Emmitt Smith exactly what he wanted. Smith wanted to be the highest paid running back even though he probably wasn't a top 10 RB talent. Screw the players. Make them earn it. Let them walk. Never give in.

You're damn right!!! I'm totally with the owners here. Owners struggle to get by. They lay their bodies on the line every game. They are ones the fans pay to see. And who the hell is Emmitt smith? He's just some scrub rb who was lucky to even play in the NFL!!! Jerry Jones was the key to the Cowboys' success and he has proven with a ton of success since that bum Smith retired!!!

Bosa should sign the max offer they give him - with deferred payments/off-set language. He has 0 leverage, and only stands to lose money if he waits this out.

If he re-enters the draft he's damaged goods, not to mention he'll have made 0 dollars in the meantime.

But he'll also get out of that hell hole with 0% chance of injury

Bosa should sign the max offer they give him - with deferred payments/off-set language. He has 0 leverage, and only stands to lose money if he waits this out.

If he re-enters the draft he's damaged goods, not to mention he'll have made 0 dollars in the meantime.

Personally, I'm normally always for he players. But I'm against Bosa here because he hasn't proven a thing at the NFL level.

That said, his leverage is he isn't poor. He, in theory, won't be bullied by a NFL team because he needs the money. And if he enters the draft, he will get drafted high again and he might benefit that new team because he won't have any wear and tear.

But he'll also get out of that hell hole with 0% chance of injury

You are first human being to ever call SD a hell hole. Respect.

Chargers are just being arrogant here. Sure they offered a bunch of money, and more money than all but Carson Wentz in the first year, but they made it contingent on him participating in all 16 games "and beyond" whatever that means - not to mention its less overall thru the life of the contract due to taxation related dollars. What if he has a freak injury? What if the asshat GM decides to just not start him one game to show him who's boss? Its bullspit. If I'm Joey, I would wanna stick it to the organization too. Tell them where to stuff their precedent. But, alas.. In RL would probably sign and just buy some new cars to get over the whole situation...

Wentz has both offsets and a deferred portion of his signing bonus; this is quite common. Bosa's side is exaggerating at best, flat-out lying at worst.

I think wentz is an outlier. Ezekiel too. But the chargers are using both of those deals to force bosa to take similar ones.

They certainly can do that, but what's the point? Seems like they are just slowly trying to chip away at a CBA that was meant to do away with rookie holdouts.

I think wentz is an outlier. Ezekiel too. But the chargers are using both of those deals to force bosa to take similar ones.

They certainly can do that, but what's the point? Seems like they are just slowly trying to chip away at a CBA that was meant to do away with rookie holdouts.

Nah--Jameis Winston has both as well

So too do Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack.

It's very common.