Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. Okay.

I stand corrected.

I'd advise you to stay correctly stood as you often bloviate so much about what you don't know. You're an extremely negative poster and it's so baseless. I get that this is an opinion forum but you spend way too much time trying to convince people you're right about your speculation instead of just offering your thoughts.

I look at this as the proverbial pat on the back in saying "your job is safe"...

It might be just the right thing to say at this point in time though. I'd think you'd want to create an atmosphere where the coaches believe in each other and the players believe in the coaches, and its easier to do that if any lame duck perception is removed. I'm sure selling tickets is part of it too. I have to think after each season they'll honestly re-evaluate.

I'd advise you to stay correctly stood as you often bloviate so much about what you don't know. You're an extremely negative poster and it's so baseless. I get that this is an opinion forum but you spend way too much time trying to convince people you're right about your speculation instead of just offering your thoughts.

Blokes certainly doesn't need me to defend him--he's quite capable himself.

I will say on his behalf that he's quite informed. He knows his stuff, and though I'll admit I haven't read every single one of his posts, he has never struck me as a negative guy. Are you sure you've got the right poster? It just seems really out there to see someone accuse Blokes of being extremely negative...

I will say on his behalf that he's quite informed. He knows his stuff, and though I'll admit I haven't read every single one of his posts, he has never struck me as a negative guy. Are you sure you've got the right poster? It just seems really out there to see someone accuse Blokes of being extremely negative...

yeah triple I gotta agree with bandit here.....blokes has never really come across to me as an NNN

We dont always agree with each other all the time

a lot of it depends on how it looks, like Baltimore last year they lost Flacco and that was it- no one is blaming John Harbaugh. Your not going to win with your backup.

but if the defense isn't any better and they still play a HS offensive attack and don't let the QB make plays and finish 5-11, 6-10, 7-9 he could be gone. However if the schedule proves to be as tough as it looks and the compete lose some heart breakers and go , 7-9 8-8, 9-7 miss playoffs I wouldn't fire him. THIS is when the bad teams do and it also those teams doing it over and over skins, lions, raiders, browns, rams, dolphins seems like just a merry go round. It's not how you build a team. Unfortunately as a fan base its become what we expect, something to get excited about, talk about and look forward to - the new coach. Two years later we do it again - now in our defense this was when Ralph owned the team and refused to pay for a legit head coach, and refused to pay assistants anything so it never worked. I truly believe it's different now, Pegula - Whaley - Rex year two here we go

I used other words like bloviate as well as negative. I'll give him credit that his opinions have content and he's excellent at communicating his opinion, however he contradicts himself consistently to then. In the end it's to prove in the end that it's always a problem that exists. I guess if I had to re-do my post I would have focused on that vs negative.

For example he said Whaley didn't want Rex, then it's not that Whaley is anti-Rex but he's just resentful because he had to then find players to fit Rex's scheme. They're guesses but he presents them as if he absolutely knows it to be true - but he just so badly wants it to be that Rex isn't the guy.

There's a ton more examples of him doing this and it just annoyed me for some reason today. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an a-hole or cruel.

What complete and utter nonsense. In the past four years alone, there have been plenty of head coaches sacked after two years on the job, or even less. Rex came into Buffalo on a major losing streak; he was hardly a blank slate, an up and coming coordinator with no track-record. If this team has a bad year, Rex is gone, pure and simple, although it's possible that he sticks around if the Bills miss the playoffs in non-embarrassing fashion. Nothing the Pegulas say now--before training camp even opens--changes that.

Sorry, I'm not inclined to go back and research it for your benefit. But maybe you can tell us which coaches that were fired after two years or less have gone on to stunning success elsewhere.

You make a statement, get asked to back it up, and follow up with I'm not going to research it for you? Weird....

Some things to think about amidst all of the Rex bashing:

Tyrod was 8-6 as a starter last year. The 2 games he missed were the Jax EJ debacle and Cincinnati. I think that if he starts both of those games we win the Jax game and finish with the same record as the year before.

The combination of Tyrod, Sammy, and LeSean played 10 games where they were all healthy last year. During those games they averaged 26.5 points which would have been good for 4th in the league.

As Edward's Arm will tell you (is he still around?) ypa is the greatest predictor of QB success. Tyrod averaged a robust 7.99 which was good enough for 4th in the league.

If (and a big if) the triples can stay healthy the Bills should have a potent offense. I'm on the Tyrod bandwagon and am hoping for big things from him. The season rests on him more than any other person in the organization imo.

And look at how those teams are still doing...terrible! Cleveland has a history with Haslam of constantly firing coaches quickly and how well has that worked for them?

Look at the Pegula's track record with the Sabres. They're not the type to make quick, irrational decisions. Also, the Pegula's don't see this as year #16 like the rest of us Bills fans, they see this as year #2. So while others in the media feel that if Rex and Doug don't make the playoffs this year that they're going to be fired, they're just trying to stir the pot in hopes that ownership will listen to them and act upon it. Sorry, but the Pegula's are patient people and even Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon confirmed it on the radio.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

To be fair, every single one of the coaches Haslam fired deserved it. Sure, he hired most of them, but still. This is just a rehash of a topic that's been beaten to death on this board. The Cliff's Notes is that: Rex and Whaley probably won't be fired after this season even if the team misses the playoffs. There are valid reasons for firing a coach or GM after a year or two (or 3 in Whaley's case), but it's unlikely any of those happens. Their seats will be very, very hot however.

There's only one scenario where continuity works. If the HC stays around long enough to get/develop a franchise QB or already has one. If there's no franchise QB, continuity doesn't matter or work.

There's examples of continuity working, there's examples of continuity not working - but in most examples it's either great QB's or great defenses that win championships.

I used to be guilty of this. I wanted to give Jauron and Gailey more time. But it was painful obvious they just weren't great coaches. And I would argue both accomplished more with their talent than Rex did last year.

If he has another 8-8 or worse season, it seems more likely that he is a below average coach. Those first 2 seasons were the flukes, including going 9-7 and making the playoffs (the Jetswent 10-6 and missed this year).

The Cardinals went from 5-11 to 10-6 in Brice Arians first year. Bills fans need to stop settling for average to below average. Rex's mouth makes people believe he is a better coach than the results have shown. Hopefully, he has s great year. But he needs to prove it and not just say it.

You are making lots of sense CB. You and I differ about Jauron (I despise his defensive philosophy). I think he was an awful coach, yet I think Ryan is worse.

This was a tough, aggressive defense. Now it is passive, undisciplined, and their best players are misused. I understand that this is a fan site, so it's great to keep the faith. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if they win 5 games or less.

The good news imo is that Taylor really does have a chance to be very good if he stays healthy. Will he be good enough to save Rex and Whaley? You tell me. I truly don't think Rex will last the season. I think Whaley will, but that's about it.

I really am sorry to be so negative, but I am just unable to see good things happening with Ryan or Whaley. I hope to be happily surprised.

I agree.

However, if the team goes 7-9 like I predict they will, IMO Rex will be brought back only to have another mediocre or worse season in 2017 and then he will be fired. Continuity for the sake of continuity.

But hey, who can blame Pegula and company? Ticket sales remain high and in demand, so why do anything?

Pleas prove me wrong Bills!

Because they want to win

You are making lots of sense CB. You and I differ about Jauron (I despise his defensive philosophy). I think he was an awful coach, yet I think Ryan is worse.

This was a tough, aggressive defense. Now it is passive, undisciplined, and their best players are misused. I understand that this is a fan site, so it's great to keep the faith. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if they win 5 games or less.

The good news imo is that Taylor really does have a chance to be very good if he stays healthy. Will he be good enough to save Rex and Whaley? You tell me. I truly don't think Rex will last the season. I think Whaley will, but that's about it.

I really am sorry to be so negative, but I am just unable to see good things happening with Ryan or Whaley. I hope to be happily surprised.

Ryan is definitely worse. I'd be fine with firing him tomorrow. Never should have hired him to begin with

I agree.

However, if the team goes 7-9 like I predict they will, IMO Rex will be brought back only to have another mediocre or worse season in 2017 and then he will be fired. Continuity for the sake of continuity.

But hey, who can blame Pegula and company? Ticket sales remain high and in demand, so why do anything?

Pleas prove me wrong Bills!

In some ways it will be very telling.

You are confusing cause and effect. Almost without exception, teams cycle through coaches because they make poor hiring decisions in the first place. Can you point to single instance in the last 7 years where a team fired a coach after two years or less and that coach went on to success elsewhere? Or how about this, which coaches do you think should have been given more time?

I never said the Bills will fire Whaley & Ryan. I said Ryan will be fired if there are not definite signs of improvement this year. I said nothing about Whaley. And my opinion has nothing to do with Carucci and Kelly. I just don't believe the Pegulas are foolish enough to give Rex more than two years to "turn around" a team that was on the verge of making the playoffs when he took it over, especially given Rex's less than scintillating track record.

Seems that you like changing the subject with multiple people.

The title of the thread is "don't expect Rex or Whaley" so I'm talking about both.

There is a lot that goes into the success or failure of a team. If the GM does not get the right players for the coaches offensive and defensive scheme, then it is not going to work. Same goes with head coaches that constantly change coordinators and schemes as there is always a learning curve during the course of the season. How many years have the Bills changed defenses between Marrone and Gailey? While I wished Schwartz was either retained as DC and Roman was hired as the HC or Schwartz was promoted to HC and Roman was brought in as the OC, it didn't happen. The Bills are not going to get much better if they keep changing coordinators and Head Coaches every couple of years.

As far as the other short term HC's that got fired. With hiring coordinators as first time HC's, it's a crap shoot as that coach had no previous NFL head coaching experience, so no one knows how they are going to do.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

The biggest thing for me is that Rex really doesn't have many excuses for 2016. Especially defensively.

8 returning starters (plus Manny opening the season at SLB). Only guys you're really replacing are Bradham and Mario. You filled those spots with quintessential 'Rex guys'. Pretty much every offensive starter is back, depending on how you view RT.

If that D can't be in the top 5-7 in the league, it's probably a failure.

I feel this is getting closer to the matter. rex has struggled a HC. known for His Defense. Well he has been given every tool in the shed from Pegulas to prove his system works. These guys look like last year? reason enough to offer Roman the HC position.

lets keep an eye on the Eagles defense shall we? Just for amusement perhaps?

You are confusing cause and effect. Almost without exception, teams cycle through coaches because they make poor hiring decisions in the first place. Can you point to single instance in the last 7 years where a team fired a coach after two years or less and that coach went on to success elsewhere? Or how about this, which coaches do you think should have been given more time?

I never said the Bills will fire Whaley & Ryan. I said Ryan will be fired if there are not definite signs of improvement this year. I said nothing about Whaley. And my opinion has nothing to do with Carucci and Kelly. I just don't believe the Pegulas are foolish enough to give Rex more than two years to "turn around" a team that was on the verge of making the playoffs when he took it over, especially given Rex's less than scintillating track record. [/quote

Seems that you like changing the subject with multiple people.

The title of the thread is "don't expect Rex or Whaley" so I'm talking about both.

There is a lot that goes into the success or failure of a team. If the GM does not get the right players for the coaches offensive and defensive scheme, then it is not going to work. Same goes with head coaches that constantly change coordinators and schemes as there is always a learning curve during the course of the season. How many years have the Bills changed defenses between Marrone and Gailey? While I wished Schwartz was either retained as DC and Roman was hired as the HC or Schwartz was promoted to HC and Roman was brought in as the OC, it didn't happen. The Bills are not going to get much better if they keep changing coordinators and Head Coaches every couple of years.

As far as the other short term HC's that got fired. With hiring coordinators as first time HC's, it's a crap shoot as that coach had no previous NFL head coaching experience, so no one knows how they are going to do.

First season with a bunch of new neighbors, and folks call to condemn the building because the last owner was always nice to them. Even thought the building was barely passing the inspectors building code. put up a railing and add a new set of steps kept the city happy enough.

Now because the new owner is too slow to add flower pots out front and paint the trim in the proper color folks get in a bunch. Even though the boiler and foundation have been repaired, there is now working AC for all the tenants and they are happy as piss. But us neighbours and town board want those damn flower pots and need them now !

Edited by 3rdand12

C.

Mario wasnt giving us his all.....and it was easy to see that

Shaq lawson went under the knife so he WOULDNT have a bum shoulder......I am excited to see what Shaq looks like playing injury free in what.....4 years?

LOL !@#$ i hope its not 4 years. I expect Lawson to be in the line up somewhere around late October.