TOD 7/28: Most assume the Pats* own the division - Do you?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're going to have to simplify things for him though--he's not Brady. Brady can diagnose matchups like nobody's business, and he can get you out of a bad play at the LOS almost as reliably as Peyton Manning.

Jimmy won't have that at his disposal. He'll really need to know where he's going to go with the ball pre-snap and make it happen since opposing DCs are going to come after him.

Agreed. He may not even be Tannehill or Fitzpatrick. And speaking of Fitzpatrick, I might even say that the Jets now have as good if not better a chance of winning this division. Comparable D, better RBs and running game, aka more well rounded on offense, decent coach seemingly and one that split with the Pats last season in his inaugural season.

I don't think that fans or the media has any idea to what extent the Pats' success have been more attributable to Brady than to Belicheat. This may be the season that we find out. As with many, I can't wait until the Pats no longer have Brady to watch Belicheat "all of a sudden" lose his coaching prowess when the fact of the matter will be that while good, he's been largely defensive in nature and overrated otherwise.

It sure won't say much for him to that notion if the Pats go 1-3 or 0-4 w/o Brady.

Even without Brady, going 1-3 with Garoppolo, I have them at 11-5, so yes.

I think I had them starting 1-3 and finishing 12-4 when I first went through it. But as always, it comes down to handling our own business. All we have to do is win.

As I said yesterday, Garrapolo may be better than most give him credit for. Pats defense is very good and will be prepared. A couple of chinks in the armor late last year showed up when Jets won in late December, but like most have said until you beat them, they're the best in the division. I expect they will go at least 2-2 with 3 home games in September. Even with rust, Brady should be able to beat the lowly Browns. I expect they will end up with 11 or 12 wins and I don't see anyone challenging that this year.

Sorry to be a downer, but Bills have a lot to prove with a tough schedule to boot.

If the Pats*** are able to provide the same cheat codes to Janeane they provide to Brady*, the Pats*** might have a chance in those first four games.

Martellus Bennett

I didn't think 'Martysaurus' and his personality would interest Belichick but he's the key for them this year. Second reliable target with a big catch radius. Excellent blocker for when they have to run (which I think will be a little more than usual this year).

The Pats are the team to beat until they prove otherwise. I hope the first NE game doesn't get the whole Rex 'This is my superbowl' treatment like last time or we're so royally screwed.

I'd say 65% Brady, 25% Belli and 10% rest of the team in terms of who own's the division.

If they do any better than 2-2 without Brady then I might change my stance but he's is the only reason the team is as good as it is.

When you play 6 games against teams that struggle to have a winning record year to year, and have a knack for losing to you, and going a mediocre 5-5 against the rest of the league still gives you the division. So, yes until the rest of the division picks up the slack and consistently splits with the Patriots or even sweeps them, they will always have the division.

Edit: They have lost 7 division games in the last 5 years. Including the one against us that they didn't care to win. Step it up AFC East!

Edit2: Those 23 division wins in the last 5 years account for 37% of their total wins.

Edited by What a Tuel

I like the Topic of the Day but this is a rhetorical one.

Of course they own the division. Until someone else wins it when Brady is ACTUALLY playing and not injured (since 2001), it's a non-starter of a topic.

This. And sad to say, they're going to win it again this year.

I think we'll beat them in Foxborough. Rex has a strong track record against crappy quarterbacks because he takes away the run, and varies his defenses, causing confusion against the pass. His teams ride the emotional roller coaster rather than staying even-keeled and consistent and I think we'll get hyped that week and win.

But yeah they own the division

Edited by Aaron

If the Pats*** are able to provide the same cheat codes to Janeane they provide to Brady*, the Pats*** might have a chance in those first four games.

I have no doubt Bill Belichick is pulling out all the stops to survive the first four games with Janeane at QB. Helmet radios on during plays, coded signals on the end zone Jumbotrons, bugging opposing lockers, deflating footballs, you name it.

I have no doubt Bill Belichick is pulling out all the stops to survive the first four games with Janeane at QB. Helmet radios on during plays, coded signals on the end zone Jumbotrons, bugging opposing lockers, deflating footballs, you name it.

Or he's just a phenomenal coach.

Patriots will be favorites in 3 out of the 4 games.