Rams release Nick Foles--update signs with KC

WOW! The Rams still owe him $6M in guaranteed salary for this season.

http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

Uh oh

@jasoncole

Traveling, unsure if this is out there: 1. Source said Foles likely to #Vikings, #Bills or #Cowboys. 2. #Jets expressed interest in Foles

All four of those teams make sense. All could use an upgrade at backup. EJ might actually be the best backup in the group, but it's probably best for both parties to move on from this failing marriage. He won't be here next season and Jones won't be ready so signing Foles to a backup level 2-3 year deal would provide more continuity at the QB position.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All four of those teams make sense. All could use an upgrade at backup. EJ might actually be the best backup in the group, but it's probably best for both parties to move on from this failing marriage. He won't be here next season and Jones won't be ready so signing Foles to a backup level 2-3 year deal would provide more continuity at the QB position.

This is why I'd do it. Considering Tyrod's mobility and potential for injury, I'd rather see Foles back there than EJ. Roman would be able to figure out a game plan with Foles.

The Jets are now out of it, so Minny & Dallas are probably the most viable competition.

Edited by BuffaloWings

The Bills really CAN'T CUT EJ! How many times do people have to post that here? His salary is guaranteed, so it makes zero sense. EJ gets paid and counts against the salary cap no matter if he's on the team or not. It isn't a complex situation to figure out.

They cut Mario and it cost them 7 million in dead money on the cap....and they "really CAN'T CUT EJ!" because it would cost them 1.6 million? Even if his replacement is a better player, the Bills HAVE TO KEEP EJ! because his salary is guaranteed?

The Bills really CAN'T CUT EJ! How many times do people have to post that here? His salary is guaranteed, so it makes zero sense. EJ gets paid and counts against the salary cap no matter if he's on the team or not. It isn't a complex situation to figure out.

No, it's not complex: they don't save any money by cutting EJ, and they clearly aren't going to cut Cardale after they just drafted him.

That said, if they feel that they have a better option at backup QB, vis-a-vis Foles, they don't take any additional cap hit to cut EJ.

His being here is hardy a lock at this point

No, it's not complex: they don't save any money by cutting EJ, and they clearly aren't going to cut Cardale after they just drafted him.

That said, if they feel that they have a better option at backup QB, vis-a-vis Foles, they don't take any additional cap hit to cut EJ.

His being here is hardy a lock at this point

Exactly. The Rams are still going to pay Foles $6M in guaranteed salary this season. It's a sunk cost. Ditto EJ's $1.6M guaranteed salary. It would depend on what Foles costs (obviously), but it sure makes sense from a personnel standpoint. My only concern would be his contract as paying a backup more than Taylor might create some turmoil there. As little as Tyrod is making this season ($3M), he's still the highest paid QB on the team. I'd be careful on my contract offer to Foles, but I'd take him.

Exactly. The Rams are still going to pay Foles $6M in guaranteed salary this season. It's a sunk cost. Ditto EJ's $1.6M guaranteed salary. It would depend on what Foles costs (obviously), but it sure makes sense from a personnel standpoint. My only concern would be his contract as paying a backup more than Taylor might create some turmoil there. As little as Tyrod is making this season ($3M), he's still the highest paid QB on the team. I'd be careful on my contract offer to Foles, but I'd take him.

Moreover Barley, the only way to avoid paying EJ's $1.6M salary is to trade him.

The fiscally-prudent maneuver--assuming they sign Foles and are comfortable with him as the backup (both of which are questionable)--would be to hold onto them both, wait for someone's backup to go down, and move EJ for a conditional pick.

Moreover Barley, the only way to avoid paying EJ's $1.6M salary is to trade him.

The fiscally-prudent maneuver--assuming they sign Foles and are comfortable with him as the backup (both of which are questionable)--would be to hold onto them both, wait for someone's backup to go down, and move EJ for a conditional pick.

agree.

Totally agree. At $1.6M you'd have to think there'd be some interest. Anything. Conditional pick, player about to be cut, a team's next 7th round comp pick, whatever. Signing Foles would make EJ more attractive too as there is not much out there on the QB market after him. Dallas would make some real sense.

Foles is the prime example of a system qb. EJ has been in the system two years and actually had better numbers than Foles last year. Plus, it would cost money to cut him and bring him in. It really doesn't make sense.

It doesn't cost money to cut EJ. Also, there's the Roman factor (i.e. run heavy offense) and the limited sample space as to why EJ may have had "better" numbers last year.

Totally agree. At $1.6M you'd have to think there'd be some interest. Anything. Conditional pick, player about to be cut, a team's next 7th round comp pick, whatever. Signing Foles would make EJ more attractive too as there is not much out there on the QB market after him. Dallas would make some real sense.

Yep--if you like Foles enough to be the backup, then you take whatever you can get.

It doesn't cost money to cut EJ. Also, there's the Roman factor (i.e. run heavy offense) and the limited sample space as to why EJ may have had "better" numbers last year.

Yep--if you like Foles enough to be the backup, then you take whatever you can get.

At same point, IMO, it is a lot harder to step in for a few games in the middle of the season. Backup Qbs barely get reps during the season. I think it is harder to play for a few games in the middle of the season than start for 10 games from the start of the season.

Minus one stretch, Foles has been an average at best qb. It was always insane to me that the Eagles would ever try to replace him after his amazing season. That was probably one of the best td to int ratio in NFL history but the Eagles never seemed to want him. That seems like a huge red flag.

At same point, IMO, it is a lot harder to step in for a few games in the middle of the season. Backup Qbs barely get reps during the season. I think it is harder to play for a few games in the middle of the season than start for 10 games from the start of the season.

Minus one stretch, Foles has been an average at best qb. It was always insane to me that the Eagles would ever try to replace him after his amazing season. That was probably one of the best td to int ratio in NFL history but the Eagles never seemed to want him. That seems like a huge red flag.

In most cases, you're correct about it being tougher to step in midseason. In this case, however, EJ got 1/3 of the 1st team reps throughout the offseason, and even got the full-time starters reps for a week leading up to his preseason start.

Again though, I'm referring to the sample size more than the situation. It's easier to hide a QB for 2 games than it is to hide him for 10+.

As to Foles, average-at-best tends to be what I'm looking for in a backup. If he's better than that, he's a starter most of the time.

In most cases, you're correct about it being tougher to step in midseason. In this case, however, EJ got 1/3 of the 1st team reps throughout the offseason, and even got the full-time starters reps for a week leading up to his preseason start.

Again though, I'm referring to the sample size more than the situation. It's easier to hide a QB for 2 games than it is to hide him for 10+.

As to Foles, average-at-best tends to be what I'm looking for in a backup. If he's better than that, he's a starter most of the time.

I respect your opinion on this. I don't see Foles as a big enough upgrade over EJ, especially with his experience in the offense. But we'll see.

I also could see if they brought Foles in and he looks good in camp (he seems like a guy who would be good in preseason) that it would start a whole other qb debate.

Look, I've been in the camp which has said that cutting EJ makes no sense to cut because it gives them nothing.

Well, it's a little, and that dead money does roll over. Foles may be a system QB, but where he thrived was with the deep pass down the sideline (like Tyrod), with McCoy opening up things on the ground (like Tyrod) but struggled over the middle (Tyrod is getting better, but not at the start). He is a better fit for the offense as it is now than EJ.

I don't hate EJ. But EJ never had a run like Foles did.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly