It's almost camp time...where is Matt Cassel?

Only 12 months ago at this very time, we were being told that Matt Cassel was our starter. But wait! We cut him. Then we signed him. Then we traded him for a 2017 5th, to the Cowboys!

Here's what they got:

G	GS	Comp	Att	Pct	Yds	Avg	TD	Int	Sck	SckY	Rate	Att	Yds	Avg	TD	FUM	Lost
8	7	119	204	58.3	1,276	6.3	5	7	14	86	70.6	15	78	5.2	0	4	0 

Clear robbery. 11 turnovers against 5 Tds, and a 6.3 Avg. What was Whaley thinking? :lol:

But...I distinctly remember some...very strong...opinions about retaining Matt Cassel's services at this time last year.

Where are the Cassel bulldogs? You know, those fans who were just bullish on Cassel? They were like dogs in that once they got a hold of a point, would never let go. Tough dogs, strong like bulls. Unrelenting. Totally loyal to Cassel, as every good dog should be. Every single day last year, they were bullish on Cassel and very critical of Whaley when he moved Cassel in the trade. They continued their dogged criticism of Whaley...until, he started to put up the stats above. There was this other guy Shop. Shop says he likes tennis, so I really don't why, and he really doesn't know why, he talks about football. He says he doesn't like talking about it, so he had little to say about Cassel. I bet he has lots to say about tennis though: Wilzowmina Wilmans had a great game at the US Open. Good for her! Tennis being such a big sport in Buffalo and all.

Where are they?

Where is Enrico Pallazzo? Or is it Sal? My memory isn't what it used to be. He used to ref college football, right? He said sticking with Cassel was the only smart move. Why didn't Whaley listen to Sal Pallazzio? For Pete's Sake, he saved the Queen of England, and you think he doesn't know football?

Then there were the early risers. These guys get up before us...which apparently makes them know football better than us. I mean, it's not like they've ever stolen a thread from this site, and turned it into weekly feature, using the same exact format as the stolen thread, or anything. No, these guys really know football because they get up early in the morning. It's all about being blue collar. Collars are important in Buffalo. That, and an all-22 subscription.

These guys had the same story to tell us about Cassel.

I'd like to see a story about what we're going to have to give up to get our starting QB back from Dallas. Surely somebody in the local media, if not ESPN, is on top of that. Since, you know, Whaley was so dumb as to give our starting QB away to Dallas for a 5th.,

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew Coller at WGR declared Cassel our starter because he started and played just two series in the third preseason game against Pittsburgh, just like Ben Roethlisberger. Can't argue with that logic. I did and it earned me a Twitter ban.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Matthew Coller at WGR declared Cassel our starter because he started and played just two series in the third preseason game against Pittsburgh, just like Ben Roethlisberger. Can't argue with that logic. I did and it earned me a Twitter ban.

EJ Manuel started against Pittsburgh and led two TD drives.

Cassel came in for 2 series after that.

Tyrod came in and led a single TD drive, then EJ came back into the game followed by Simms.

Before last season, I was flying back from Mexico and Matt Cassel was on the same flight. He avoided the gate and when they did priority boarding, he had his hat low and sunglasses on. He was in a first class window seat basically hiding when I got on the plane. Does this sound like a starting QB? I got the vibe that he didn't even want to play in Buffalo. I was against him from that moment on.

Jerry Hughes on the other hand ate fried chicken at the gate, and shook anyone's hand who approached. He acted like what you would expect from an NFL player, let alone a starting QB.

Only 12 months ago at this very time, we were being told that Matt Cassel was our starter. But wait! We cut him. Then we signed him. Then we traded him for a 2017 5th, to the Cowboys!

Here's what they got:

G	GS	Comp	Att	Pct	Yds	Avg	TD	Int	Sck	SckY	Rate	Att	Yds	Avg	TD	FUM	Lost
8	7	119	204	58.3	1,276	6.3	5	7	14	86	70.6	15	78	5.2	0	4	0 

Clear robbery. 11 turnovers against 5 Tds, and a 6.3 Avg. What was Whaley thinking? :lol:

But...I distinctly remember some...very strong...opinions about retaining Matt Cassel's services at this time last year.

Where are the Cassel bulldogs? You know, those fans who were just bullish on Cassel? They were like dogs in that once they got a hold of a point, would never let go. Tough dogs, strong like bulls. Unrelenting. Totally loyal to Cassel, as every good dog should be. Every single day last year, they were bullish on Cassel and very critical of Whaley when he moved Cassel in the trade. They continued their dogged criticism of Whaley...until, he started to put up the stats above. There was this other guy Shop. Shop says he likes tennis, so I really don't why, and he really doesn't know why, he talks about football. He says he doesn't like talking about it, so he had little to say about Cassel. I bet he has lots to say about tennis though: Wilzowmina Wilmans had a great game at the US Open. Good for her! Tennis being such a big sport in Buffalo and all.

Where are they?

Where is Enrico Pallazzo? Or is it Sal? My memory isn't what it used to be. He used to ref college football, right? He said sticking with Cassel was the only smart move. Why didn't Whaley listen to Sal Pallazzio? For Pete's Sake, he saved the Queen of England, and you think he doesn't know football?

Then there were the early risers. These guys get up before us...which apparently makes them know football better than us. I mean, it's not like they've ever stolen a thread from this site, and turned it into weekly feature, using the same exact format as the stolen thread, or anything. No, these guys really know football because they get up early in the morning. It's all about being blue collar. Collars are important in Buffalo. That, and an all-22 subscription.

These guys had the same story to tell us about Cassel.

I'd like to see a story about what we're going to have to give up to get our starting QB back from Dallas. Surely somebody in the local media, if not ESPN, is on top of that. Since, you know, Whaley was so dumb as to give our starting QB away to Dallas for a 5th.,

I have a hard time praising Doug Whaley right now for anything, especially decisions made at QB almost a year ago. The same Whaley who drafted a guy in the 2016 1st round with a significant shoulder injury, who said football isn't a game humans should play, and despite being one of the highest spending teams, still has issues in the defensive front 7. And let's not forget we're not sure they even have a QB after 4 off-season he's been the top personnel guy.

OK, he gets credit for trading Matt Cassel. But whatever gain there is more than overcome by the whiffs elsewhere. And that includes Manuel.

I never understood the whole Matt Cassel thing. He was just another in a long line of guys that had started and failed with other teams. What I'll give Whaley credit for is recognizing that something needed to be done, thus bringing in Cassel and Taylor. There are a lot of guys that would have stuck with EJ until it killed him.

They banned you from Twitter for that?

I have a hard time praising Doug Whaley right now for anything, especially decisions made at QB almost a year ago. The same Whaley who drafted a guy in the 2016 1st round with a significant shoulder injury, who said football isn't a game humans should play, and despite being one of the highest spending teams, still has issues in the defensive front 7. And let's not forget we're not sure they even have a QB after 4 off-season he's been the top personnel guy.

OK, he gets credit for trading Matt Cassel. But whatever gain there is more than overcome by the whiffs elsewhere. And that includes Manuel.

Whaley has this team in a downward spiral. He's done next to nothing to bring viable NFL players to this team. We're one of the oldest teams and almost completely void of talent. He's definitely not worthy of praise from you. Let's blow this thing up and start over with a real GM.

Whaley has this team in a downward spiral. He's done next to nothing to bring viable NFL players to this team. We're one of the oldest teams and almost completely void of talent. He's definitely not worthy of praise from you. Let's blow this thing up and start over with a real GM.

It's "devoid" of talent. And are you being sarcastic? Is that the sarcastic font? The Bills are extremely talented- I didn't know anyone thought otherwise. We have more blue chippers than we've had since at least the late 90's. As far as Cassel is concerned, I think a lot of people are confusing what some people THOUGHT was going to happen last summer with what they WANTED to happen. Nobody thought that Matt Cassel was a sweet QB and was rooting for him to win the job. Some people assumed he'd end up with the job because he appeared to be the safe(st), default option. Which is true. It was his job unless someone seized it from him, which, obviously, Taylor did. I told anyone who would listen that Taylor had won the job the Monday after the Steelers game. Just like I told anyone who would listen that it was in fact Cassel's job prior to the Steelers game. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Since when have you praised ANYONE at ANYTIME when it comes to this team.

Just keep your comfort chair in the NNN's that is where we like you....anything else im gonna get hit with a cat or a dog falling from the sky.

It's "devoid" of talent. And are you being sarcastic? Is that the sarcastic font? The Bills are extremely talented- I didn't know anyone thought otherwise. We have more blue chippers than we've had since at least the late 90's. As far as Cassel is concerned, I think a lot of people are confusing what some people THOUGHT was going to happen last summer with what they WANTED to happen. Nobody thought that Matt Cassel was a sweet QB and was rooting for him to win the job. Some people assumed he'd end up with the job because he appeared to be the safe(st), default option. Which is true. It was his job unless someone seized it from him, which, obviously, Taylor did. I told anyone who would listen that Taylor had won the job the Monday after the Steelers game. Just like I told anyone who would listen that it was in fact Cassel's job prior to the Steelers game.

Most definitely sarcasm. How in the hell could anyone say they can't praise Whaley for anything?