The NFL is Studying Whether They Should Narrow Uprights

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must be concerned about the ever increasing accuracy of kickers on field goal attempts. Why punish kickers for perfecting their craft?

Because kickers are not football players according to some 'experts" and they are mad a kicker is in Hall of Fame.

I was thinking the same thing. Then you don't have to have that massive net behind the thing either, you'd just have a net that the ball get's caught in.

Oh, and then you don't have to decide if its good or not. If it's good, its in the net.

It'd also encourage lower trajectory kicks - which means more blocks.

While at it make the ball round and allow players to stand in front of net trying to catch it. Maybe the NFL can sell some new NFL kicker balls.

They must be concerned about the ever increasing accuracy of kickers on field goal attempts. Why punish kickers for perfecting their craft?

I dunno, but I'm sure glad they aren't concerned with QBs throwing for 40 TD and 5,000 yards all over the place. <_<

Wouldn't this only work in the midwest?

:lol:

The game is called 'foot'ball.

And for good reason. The gensis of the game is in rugby football where originally the point of the "try" (see touchdown) was simply to earn you the right to try and kick for goal which was better rewarded points wise.

The games have both developed and a try or touchdown is worth more than the kick. That is surely right but the kicking game has a place and should be protected just like any other element.

go the fantasy route

a 21 yard field goal is worth 2.1 points

a 55 yard field goal is worth 5.5 points

Bonus: less ties leading to OT

IMO too many potential points for the kicker. But I do like leagues that use tenths of the point because a) it breaks ties and b) it's more fair -- 9 yards gets you .9 points rather than 0.

I dunno, but I'm sure glad they aren't concerned with QBs throwing for 40 TD and 5,000 yards all over the place. <_<

:lol:

That is exactly my issue with proposed rule changes such as this. They want to put kickers in a position to fail, whereas they would never do the same with quarterbacks. Quarterbacks sell tickets and merchandise. The league obviously needs and wants them to succeed. Kickers don't sell merchandise or tickets, therefore the league wants to sacrifice them for more overall entertainment. However, I do not find the idea of kickers deciding the outcome of more games remotely entertaining.

I'd rather they just use the chip to determine if the ball crossed the plain, made the first down, and if the ball went through the uprights.

There is a way to make that better, for sure. These dives into the line for a first down with big bodies all around blocking the view allowing no more than a guess are a perfect example of how things could be better. Having said that, I can't say I fully trust it. As a tennis player, I liked the old Mac Cam showing the actual ball better than the Shot Spot with some computer generated thing. Still, an improvement. The upright thing in particular has always made me question.....

There should be middle posts with different point levels for kickers.

Inside middle post:

From 50 5pts 40 4 and 30 3.

Off of or outside middle post but within outside post:

From 50 3pts 40 2 and 30 1.

XP thru middle is 2 thru outside is 1.

They want to make kickers work, that outta do it. Then truly accurate kickers would really stand out.

To this point, @ITP_ChuckZ wrote this on the new discussed regulations - http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/long-form-editorial/opinion-long-form-editorial/2016/07/19/kicks-chips-nfl-thinks-kickers-good/