The NFL is Studying Whether They Should Narrow Uprights

@realfootballtv

How digital football chips could revolutionize the game: https://goo.gl/it8dhv

Cn1SEGgXgAAFo1W.jpg

I am not quite sure how chip technology will work as far as determining whether or not the ball broke the plane of the goal line. Obviously if it goes completely over, the chip could be anywhere on the ball. In really close calls though, one part of the ball may break the plane while another part may never get over the line. Where on the ball is the chip?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not quite sure how chip technology will work as far as determining whether or not the ball broke the plane of the goal line. Obviously if it goes completely over, the chip could be anywhere on the ball. In really close calls though, one part of the ball may break the plane while another part may never get over the line. Where on the ball is the chip?

At both ends would make sense to me.

That would not then register a score in the case where just the 'fat' part of the ball crossed, say when a runner is tackled while running parallel to the goal line.

Can the "fat part of the ball" cross w/o either point crossing 1st?

Can the "fat part of the ball" cross w/o either point crossing 1st?

I think it would end up being a combo of both visual and technological evidence of the ball crossing. I also get the feeling they are going to have more than one chip in the ball. 6 would be ideal. One at each end and one at the center of each seam. This would also keep the ball balanced in regard to aerodynamics.

Edited by The Wiz