A Look Back at the Stevie Johnson Trade

The Trade  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a good trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Could we have used SJ13 on the 2014/15/16 Bills?

• Yes
    • No

This was Whaley's least talked about moves in recent years, but it keeps coming back to me while thinking about the Bills' struggle to find a solid #2 WR who is consistent.

Was the trio of Watkins, SJ, and Woods not going to work in 2014? Was there something to the idea that it was "Sammy's team" after the 14 draft and SJ had to go? Was a conditional 4th rounder really worth a receiver who just finished the year as the #1?

Would you feel better in the 2016 offseason with SJ on this team?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a Stevie fan. I'd feel much better if he was the #2. With that being said if he would have stunted Watkins' growth they made the right decision. It's tough to judge in a vacuum. I think that Stevie is a good NFL receiver, Sammy is going to be a superstar. They are still missing a #2 IMO but maybe that's not a role Stevie would have embraced?

Im not a fan of trading up for a WR, no matter how good Watkins becomes. I wont support the move. Trading Stevie however was a good move. Time to move on.

The Bills still do things that I dont understand, trading up for WRs and spending big assets on RBs.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Im not a fan of trading up for a WR, no matter how good Watkins becomes. I wont support the move. Trading Stevie however was a good move. Time to move on.

The Bills still do things that I dont understand, trading up for WRs and spending big assets on RBs.

Why was it a good move though?

Not a good trade and, yes, we sure could have used him. His contract is very reasonable - 3 years, $10.5M. There may have been some issues we weren't privy to that led to the team parting ways with him, but that staff is gone anyway. He'd sure have helped last year and we could use his services even more this year.

Stevie was the only receiver that had chemistry with Fitztragic. He literally bombed out once he left Buffalo. I think his shelf-life was exactly 4 decent years. Whaley traded him right when there was a little value. I truly don't think he'd still even be on the team this year.

I would have rather had Stevie than Percey Harvin in a heartbeat.

Forget that, I would have rather had Stevie than any other WR we have on this team. I won't say, that includes Sammy, but I'm pretty close. Sammy is look like a Nancy out there. This season will be a put up or shut up for him IMO. If he misses some games because of minor injuries... I'm no longer going to believe he's a future superstar. He'll be just another what if, coulda been typ of player.

SJ just doesn't run discipline routes and that was a thorn in the side of our OC's and QB's after Fitz

SJ proved how good of a WR he was when he was traded. Do not miss him and the trade was fine

I would have rather had Stevie than Percey Harvin in a heartbeat.

Forget that, I would have rather had Stevie than any other WR we have on this team. I won't say, that includes Sammy, but I'm pretty close. Sammy is look like a Nancy out there. This season will be a put up or shut up for him IMO. If he misses some games because of minor injuries... I'm no longer going to believe he's a future superstar. He'll be just another what if, coulda been typ of player.

The type of Nancy that plays 16 games with broken ribs. He's missed 3 games in his career. He missed his third game of the season after coming back too quickly, catching a TD, and re-injuring his calf. He isn't missing anything due to minor injuries.

If only we still had Stevie Johnson and Da'rick Ro'gers we'd be a freaking Super Bowl team!

Loved Stevie (have an autographed jersey) and was sad to see him go, but who knows what he would have done on this team last year. Different QB, coaching group, O coord, etc. He MAY have been a nice #2, but I'm hopeful that Woods will step-up this year...

I'll be here patiently waiting for the "Freddy Jackson Trade" thread, next.

SJ just doesn't run discipline routes and that was a thorn in the side of our OC's and QB's after Fitz

SJ proved how good of a WR he was when he was traded. Do not miss him and the trade was fine

Stevie has a knack for getting open - someplace other than he supposed to be.

Fitz and Stevie were a great tandem. Either Fitz threw the ball somewhere in Stevie's general direction and Stevie had a talent for getting under it. Or Fitz could figure out where Stevie was going when no one else could.

Since being traded, Stevie has yet to crack 500 yards for a season. His unpredictable route running - being based on guile more than speed - makes it hard for QBs to get the timing right when trying to throw to him.

He was fun when Fitz was under center but I don't miss him.

The type of Nancy that plays 16 games with broken ribs. He's missed 3 games in his career. He missed his third game of the season after coming back too quickly, catching a TD, and re-injuring his calf. He isn't missing anything due to minor injuries.

im not arguing that he's an awesome talent. And I'm not arguing that he hasn't played the overwhelming shorty of games. But he has had some issues staying on the field at times.

I'll say it again tho, this is a put up or shut up year for him. He's had multiple issues at different times. One of which is calling out Bills fans right after he missed some time.

We're not struggling to find a #2 WR. We're struggling to find a QB.

Honestly, I don't know why we don't just bump everyone on depth chart behind Watkins up one spot. It seems silly to leave the #2 WR position open and line up with 10 men on the field in certain formations. I would also look at bringing back Peerless Price.

Edited by Jauronimo

Bills were moving on from him being a #1 and they had Robert Woods as a #2. His contract just didn't fit the role he was going to have.

Oh, I was operating under the assumption that most felt that Woods hasn't really lived up to solid #2 status.