A Look Back at the Stevie Johnson Trade

The Trade  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a good trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Could we have used SJ13 on the 2014/15/16 Bills?

• Yes
    • No

I think I covered this pretty well already, but here goes. SJ is on a 3 year, $10.5M deal. RW is on his 4 year rookie deal at $4.9M. As I said, RW has potential for upside and is cheaper than SJ, but SJ isn't expensive for a WR. There is room and definite need for both on the roster. It is not an either/or situation. I just thought it odd to see people saying that one of those guys sucks and the other is going to be a stud as the #2 this season.

One last thing. RW is going into the final season of his rookie deal. This is where he has to earn his next contract.

IMO, based on this analysis, he's already earned his next contract: https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/729735609263239172/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only we still had Stevie Johnson and Da'rick Ro'gers we'd be a freaking Super Bowl team!

Loved Stevie (have an autographed jersey) and was sad to see him go, but who knows what he would have done on this team last year. Different QB, coaching group, O coord, etc. He MAY have been a nice #2, but I'm hopeful that Woods will step-up this year...

I'll be here patiently waiting for the "Freddy Jackson Trade" thread, next.

Now it'll be a "let's sign Freddy Jackson" thread

I have my belief sj13 would have added value to our teams and back and forth it was a good trade. Reading these posts i still can't decide.

I actually disliked the trade and am not real high on John Miller.

Stevie had his issues but people forget that by trading him they were basically asking a rookie(Sammy) and a second year WR(Woods) to be the receiving corps for a second year QB in EJ Manuel with only 8 starts.

That was typical-Bills of 2000's dumb........but it also spoke to how badly they wanted him gone...........and it's easy to understand why they wouldn't want such a bad example leading the WR room and showing Sammy and Woods "how to be a pro".

My bigger concern was the QB..........the #1 job of an NFL team needs to be getting better play from their QB and taking away a proven vet was a risky move.

Fortunately Orton came in at the last minute and provided the missing veteran presence from the mix but not having Stevie probably didn't help EJ a whole lot.

You seem to be changing my arguement substantially. Please stick to what I said. I'm not arguing who's better, just that there isn't a huge difference between the two and that SJ could help the Bills. Respond to that.

The "played injured" card is very weak sauce. Wow, you know what a player on your team went through. How about SJ? Did you look to see if he played hurt? Every player has to suit up with injury of some kind during the season. Woods did. Johnson did. It's part of the game. Had Woods played substantially below what he previously did, then maybe injury could be a big consideration. But that wasn't the case.

I think we know stevie was hurting. I think his only downfall outside of an occasional case of the dropsies was his unique route running. Stevie was pretty good. Big body who made some plays after the catch i think

For the record, I think SJ was the better player last season - but not by much. This season? It wouldn't surprise me if either SJ or EW was the better player. Beyond that, SJ is more expensive than EW and does not have the potential upside EW has. He is what he is at this point and it'll only be downhill from there. I could see why a coach would want SJ for the very short term, but would prefer EW for the long term. But it isn't an either/or question. I think the Bills would be better with both. A veteran like SJ would be good to have to push EW and the other young WRs. He'd be good to have as a 3 who could step up to a 2 - and for general depth. He's not the only guy like that out there and the Bills may yet pick one up to fill that role. Probably cheaper. I hope they do because I don't have the same high expectations you do for the WR corps. I see one very talented player in Watkins, but I worry about the injury bug biting. Woods as a #2 isn't a big threat. I think he'll be solid. Nor more, no less. After that it's just hope. SJ - or another solid vet - sitting there on the roster fighting with EW for the 2/3 WR spots would make me feel a lot better. I'd feel better about EW having earned the #2 spot, I'd feel better about the WR rotation and I'd feel better when a starter had to miss time.

Who is EW?

I think we know stevie was hurting. I think his only downfall outside of an occasional case of the dropsies was his unique route running. Stevie was pretty good. Big body who made some plays after the catch i think

Who is EW?

In this organization? How much time do you have?

I actually disliked the trade and am not real high on John Miller.

Stevie had his issues but people forget that by trading him they were basically asking a rookie(Sammy) and a second year WR(Woods) to be the receiving corps for a second year QB in EJ Manuel with only 8 starts.

That was typical-Bills of 2000's dumb........but it also spoke to how badly they wanted him gone...........and it's easy to understand why they wouldn't want such a bad example leading the WR room and showing Sammy and Woods "how to be a pro".

My bigger concern was the QB..........the #1 job of an NFL team needs to be getting better play from their QB and taking away a proven vet was a risky move.

Fortunately Orton came in at the last minute and provided the missing veteran presence from the mix but not having Stevie probably didn't help EJ a whole lot.

I agree and If I recall correctly, another reason the team moved Stevie was because he didn't run precise routes and this would give EJ trouble going forward. Then Kyle Orton steps in to start after four games and he could have really used a WR that was almost always open considering the Bills went pass happy that year with such a craptastic O-line.

It's like this team does one thing right (bringing in Orton) and then with the next they shoot themselves in the foot with bad decisions. Like with Erik Pears at RG among others stupid moves that year (Cujo, Etc).

I just want to compliment the OP on the topic. It is rare that someone posts a poll that runs so close to a split opinion. When the group is that divided it makes for an interesting conversation. Well done FireChan!!!!!

I have my finger on the pulse of what the people want.

I just want to compliment the OP on the topic. It is rare that someone posts a poll that runs so close to a split opinion. When the group is that divided it makes for an interesting conversation. Well done FireChan!!!!!

I can't wait for next off-season's "Should they have cut Fred Jackson?" thread!

It's not like he's done anything in his post Buffalo career. Maybe a touchdown here or there.. But he's a 3rd WR on a good day.

He played with Kaepernick in SF, who's not good in case you didn't notice.

In 8 starts last season he had about 500 yards on 45 catches. Double that for 16 games and I'll take it. Right now, after Watkins, who's as dicey as it gets, we're looking at a 3rd-rate cadre of WRs.

Besides, the question shouldn't be what he's done elsewhere, in Buffalo he holds the franchise record for consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. The year he slipped Manuel was throwing. I don't see how anyone can pin that on Stevie.

The question should be what did we get for the traded pick, which was that we traded it to Philly for Bryce Brown. Big deal. Brown didn't score a single TD while he was here, he averaged 3.5 ypc rushing, which is pathetic, and caught a bunch of meaningless passes in a couple of losses. The guy was next to worthless.

Typical Whaley influenced move.

Again, WR should have been slated for the first two rounds, three if not then in a draft deep with WRs. Instead, Ryan and his kid in a defensive candy shop and the marble-headed Whaley draft a backup in the 3rd instead. Whatever.

I just remember when we traded for Brown, whom everyone should have realized was nothing better than a marginal depth player, how many here and in other Bills forums tried to convince us how good he'd be. Well, he was terrible in Seattle last year as a backup, is he even on a team anymore?

Either way, from that perspective, we traded Stevie for nada!

I agree and I think it is very finely balanced. I answered "no" I didn't like the trade and "no" I don't particularly think Stevie would have helped us in 14/15/16 because I am convinced he'd have been cut after 2014. I realise that is an odd position which proves this is a good thread.

Edited by GunnerBill

I have my finger on the pulse of what the people want.

#scoops+

I agree and I think it is very finely balanced. I answered "no" I didn't like the trade and "no" I don't particularly think Stevie would have helped us in 14/15/16 because I am convinced he'd have been cut after 2014. I realise that is an odd position which proves this is a good thread.

He was never going to fit in Marroons world minus Fitz magic.Gailey and Ryan? I can see that sure .

No matter what.

But Marrone and D Whaley never seemed to hit it off anyway.

Johnson was not going to fit the Saints agenda of discipline and effort.

Much like Chandler, SJ was one of the better players Bills had, for years at the position. Scott set TE records for the Bills and Stevie had those 3 years of 1000 yards catching.

people forget how bad the Bills have been. Those guys were an improvement at the time.

if only the Dougie had not moved Pears inside and sat Urbik.....

Edited by 3rdand12

• 2 weeks later...

If Stevie Johnson wasn't drafted by the bills and injected into and that dumpster fire of a WR Corp, no one would have heard of Stevie Johnson as he would have gone on to be a bubble guy, team after team... And I'm probably a bigger fan of him than most.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood