Is 2 Seasons Enough ?

Rex had talent, he didn't do much with it.

Agreed he gets time and that time is this year. Again, anything less then 8-8(maybe 7-9) and he is gone, IMO.

Given what he inherited, Rex performed disastrously last year on D. But I thought the offense performed well under the circumstances. You got to give Rex credit for recruiting Roman and probably having a hand in the recruitment of TT.

Rex doesn't have a history of running poor D's. A lot of reasons have been given for the failures of 2015 and I'm willing to allow Rex some benefit of the doubt.

Generally, I think head coaches need three years or more. But if Rex regresses again this year, I could be in favor of a 2 trial for him. For me, I think the threshold is 7-9. Anything worse and he should be fired.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'll be as succinct as possible: Schwartz was under contract with the Bills and he did not have the right to "decline" to serve as DC just because someone else was hired as HC.

If Pegula decided not to hold Schwartz to his contract, that's an entirely different matter. But if that's true, then it was Pegula's CHOICE to let him out of the contract, not Scwartz's choice to decline to serve as DC because he wasn't "interested" in doing so. If Pegula wanted him to be the Bills' DC in 2015, Schwartz would have had no other choice--except to take a couple years off without pay.

Pegula asked. Schwartz said no. End of story. No need to make more of it than it is.

As to your second paragraph, I can only say it shows a lack of insight into how these relationships work.

GO BILLS!!!

Seriously?

I have no idea and neither do you. All I know is Rex did a bad job last year and given the personnel and how Rex runs his defense and considering where our defense was coming off the 2014 season, the hire didn't make a lot of sense.

Plus Rex is a buffoon!

The only thing that worries me about this team is the depth at receiver and our defense. Last year's defense was not very impressive; we drastic improvement from out safeties and LBs. I think if we can clean those areas up , we should we in good shape. Also the plague of the injury bug needs to be exterminated this year. We need to stay healthy especially at the QB position. If Tyrod goes down we are in big trouble. I have to Billieve that this is our year , enough is enough!!!!!! Go Bills!!!

The only thing that worries me about this team is the depth at receiver and our defense. Last year's defense was not very impressive; we drastic improvement from out safeties and LBs. I think if we can clean those areas up , we should we in good shape. Also the plague of the injury bug needs to be exterminated this year. We need to stay healthy especially at the QB position. If Tyrod goes down we are in big trouble. I have to Billieve that this is our year , enough is enough!!!!!! Go Bills!!!

Don't forget special teams.......and all the other stuff.

Given what he inherited, Rex performed disastrously last year on D. But I thought the offense performed well under the circumstances. You got to give Rex credit for recruiting Roman and probably having a hand in the recruitment of TT.

Rex doesn't have a history of running poor D's. A lot of reasons have been given for the failures of 2015 and I'm willing to allow Rex some benefit of the doubt.

Generally, I think head coaches need three years or more. But if Rex regresses again this year, I could be in favor of a 2 trial for him. For me, I think the threshold is 7-9. Anything worse and he should be fired.

I agree with most of this and Rex wanted and vouched for Incognito too! Plus he wanted other players in free agency that either Whaley declined to obtain or signed elsewhere. So, yes Rex does deserve credit for helping build a good offense and hiring a decent coordinator to run it.

His biggest fault lies entirely with what he did with an elite defense and not fixing the penalty problems, lack of communication problems, failure to discipline players and so on. The reality was that Ryan caused his own problems or failed to fix them once they showed. The injury bug did bite the Bills at times but didn't hit as hard as it could have to guys like Glenn, Incognito, Wood, TT, Shady or Sammy and lose them for the season.

It's not about the number of wins as many factors go into that number. To me, it's more about are the problems with the lack of proper communication fixed? Will the late play calls, player substitutions fixed? Will the stupid drive / game killing penalties be reduced? Will the defense play as a cohesive unit and not have players jumping around as the ball is snapped or be out of position? Will the game plans be effective against every opponent and not just the teams in the division! Will the Bills finally notch a win against the Patriots with Brady playing a full 60 min?

The Bills had just about the very best cornerback duo in the league last year in Darby-Gilmore and yet so few fans noticed because they were constantly hung out to dry with the worst pass rush in the league. Fixing the pass rush should also be a primary concern and not just by blitzing more but by calling blitzes that are actually effective in getting to the QB.

Rex Ryan has a lot to prove this season.

Pegula asked. Schwartz said no. End of story. No need to make more of it than it is.

As to your second paragraph, I can only say it shows a lack of insight into how these relationships work.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry, I don't know how "these relationships work." What I do know is that Schwartz was under contract to the Bills for at least two more years. As such, he had no right to "opt out". If the Bills did not hold him to the contract it was their choice, not his. He was not a free agent.

Give Rex 5 years and see what happens. We can't keep starting over again.

I'm trying to think of an NFL coach in the last 20 or 30 years who started his tenure somewhere with a worse record in his first two seasons than the one before he got there and then turned it around. I can't think of one right now.

So, I'd say that if Rex doesn't at least make 9-7 or 10-6 ideally, then the odds of his time in Buffalo turning out well are long and he probably should go.

Edited by vincec

I'm trying to think of an NFL coach in the last 20 or 30 years who started his tenure somewhere with a worse record in his first to seasons than the one before he got there and then turned it around. I can't think of one right now.

So, I'd say that if Rex doesn't at least make 9-7 or 10-6 ideally, then the odds of his time in Buffalo turning out well are long and he probably should go.

Didn't Belichick? Weren't the Patriots 8-8 in Carroll's last year and then worse in Belichick's first?

Didn't Belichick? Weren't the Patriots 8-8 in Carroll's last year and then worse in Belichick's first?

But in his second season they were 11-5 and on their way. He never had a non-winning season again. There is an occasional (although very infrequent) drop in season one as transitions take place, but by year two there is an obvious upswing with teams that have strong coaching.

Edited by vincec

But in his second season they were 11-5 and on their way. He never had a non-winning season again. There is an occasional (although very infrequent) drop in season one as transitions take place, but by year two there is an obvious upswing with teams that have strong coaching.

Oh sorry... your typo meant I didn't realise you were asking first two seasons. Yea, if we are worse than 8-8 this year it is hard to see how a coach whose record gets progressively worse through two seasons ad makes a winning team a losing team in that time can remain in situ.

Sorry, I don't know how "these relationships work." What I do know is that Schwartz was under contract to the Bills for at least two more years. As such, he had no right to "opt out". If the Bills did not hold him to the contract it was their choice, not his. He was not a free agent.

Like I said, little insight.

I tend to agree with this, despite the source:

James Walker, Miami Dolphins reporter: It's interesting that Rich Cimini, Mike Rodak and I have experience covering Ryan over the years. I covered Ryan at two different stops -- first as defensive coordinator of theBaltimore Ravens while reporting on the AFC North and later as head coach of the Jets while reporting on the AFC East. He has always been the same person -- a confident, outgoing coach. That won't change, and I don't view that as an issue. The problem is Ryan, for one year at least, lost his knack for getting the most out of his defensive talent. This was (and is) his biggest strength. I watched Ryan turn average players into solid players (Jim Leonhard), solid players into great players (Antonio Cromartie, Bart Scott) and star players into future Hall of Famers (Darrelle Revis, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis). Which Bills defensive player got significantly better last season under Ryan's tutelage? Maybe Ronald Darby, who was a rookie? Ryan knows he must get back to that. He is still a great defensive coach, and I view last season as a one-year exception.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/24938/afc-east-qa-is-it-time-to-question-rex-ryans-coaching-style

I'm on record that I want Rex gone. The KC game cemented it for me. He destroyed the D, he doesn't know how to manage a game, and he's a complete buffoon. I hope I'm wrong and he leads the Bills to the playoffs this year, but I'm not optimistic. Playoffs or bust this year.

Oh, well. I guess I can only dream of having insight as keen as yours apparently is.

Hondo's link is pretty sweet.

gets a couple professional perspectives and a good range of opinion.

we all have something to bring to the round table. Sometimes it gets dismissed, sometimes it becomes a valuable asset to add to the grand scheme.

we have to accept both and all in between

I tend to agree with this, despite the source:

James Walker, Miami Dolphins reporter: It's interesting that Rich Cimini, Mike Rodak and I have experience covering Ryan over the years. I covered Ryan at two different stops -- first as defensive coordinator of the[/size]Baltimore Ravens while reporting on the AFC North and later as head coach of the Jets while reporting on the AFC East. He has always been the same person -- a confident, outgoing coach. That won't change, and I don't view that as an issue. The problem is Ryan, for one year at least, lost his knack for getting the most out of his defensive talent. This was (and is) his biggest strength. I watched Ryan turn average players into solid players (Jim Leonhard), solid players into great players ([/size]Antonio Cromartie, Bart Scott) and star players into future Hall of Famers ([/size]Darrelle Revis, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis). Which Bills defensive player got significantly better last season under Ryan's tutelage? Maybe [/size]Ronald Darby, who was a rookie? Ryan knows he must get back to that. He is still a great defensive coach, and I view last season as a one-year exception.[/size]

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/24938/afc-east-qa-is-it-time-to-question-rex-ryans-coaching-style

That's interesting. I hope it works out that way.

Oh, well. I guess I can only dream of having insight as keen as yours apparently is.

I'm sure you have a ton of insight into a mryiad of subjects. I don't question that. With regard to the Schwartz issue, you are missing the mark and I only seek to edify you on that score. I know for a fact that when Schwartz was interviewed for the HC position he was asked if he would consider remaining as DC in the event someone else was hired. Schwartz said no. Again, this was BEFORE Ryan even entered the picture. If you wish to keep insisting that the Bills could have forced him to stay contractually, feel free. But that isn't germane to what transpired and it just isn't the way head coaching transitions are conducted.

GO BILLS!!!

Rex is in his second year & there has been talk of him being on the hot seat if he doesn't take the team to the play offs, but is 2 seasons enough time ? I don't think so !!

Up front, I've got to say "playoffs or OUT!" would be a dumb ultimatum, if there was an ultimatum. There's an unavoidable element of luck in whether a team achieves playoffs, including injuries to key players, strength of schedule (predicted strength /= actual strength), difference-making penalty calls (almost every team suffers from this on occasion), and the strength of the division the team plays in.

Rex in his second year, keep or can?

What I want to see is a well-prepared, disciplined, hard-playing team that goes full-out whistle to whistle on every play every game. IMO, this was very uneven last year.

Let me break it down:

1) An even high level of preparation week-to week. Some weeks, the team seemed to come out with a good game plan. Some weeks, they seemed poorly prepared for the opponent

2) Discipline. Some penalties are beyond a players control what the ref will call, but we had too many dumb hot-head personal foul penalties and other penalties indicating lack of focus.

3) Reactive D with players hurrying on and off the field and not having time to get set before the snap on D. I don't want to hear stuff about late play calls. I don't want to see teams that normally take their time, hurrying on O because they know they can take advantage of the Bills D if they do.

4) Hustle. No question from time to time we had players "phoning it in". Don't quit on your teammates. Don't quit on your coach. Win or lose, if a player isn't hustling, the coaches need to take action: sit his ass down.

If we see more of the same this year, *especially* with Rex apparently given a free hand to bring in whatever assistants he likes this year and a D-heavy draft, I think 2 years is enough and I don't think it would have a negative effect on future coaching searches for the Pegulas to say "enough is enough" and pull the plug on the Ryan Circus.

If we don't make the playoffs, but we see a well-planned game every week and a well-prepared team that doesn't quit, then Rex deserves more time especially if there are mitigating factors (injuries, players we were counting on to come back who don't eg A and K Williams).