Is 2 Seasons Enough ?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God forbid fans want to look at a team that has won 43 games in the last 4 years as a model for success.

7 playoff appearances. 7 losses--including the past 5 years in a row. The King of Meaningless Regular Season Wins. Look elsewhere.

He quit because of disagreements in philosophy. He was hired as DC under Fisher.

Was kidding. He gets fired.

Yes and I have alluded to this in other posts. Neither Ryan nor Jauron is defensively aggressive. I can't believe I am even typing this but I think I would actually prefer having Jauron. The Bills were an undisciplined mess last season.

People can display every color coded chart on earth but it was painful to watch this team. They were sub-par AND had lots of talent. I for one have lots of faith in Tyrod.

I think Rex will be fired approx. halfway through the season. Hey, I hope to be wrong. Maybe Rex will coach this team to the playoffs. I wish I was able to even see this as possible.

Jauron had a lot less talent with which to work than Rex has. It isn't even comparable and it isn't totally fair to judge the passive style given that being aggressive with his group would have resulted in......bad things.

First of all Marrone went 9-7 not 8-8. Second of all the Patriots backups were a thousand times better than the Cowboys 3rd string Rex beat last year.

Thirdly whether Rex gets a third year depends on the product he puts on the field. Simple as that.

Sorry my bad on the record !!

Edited by T master

IMO I don't think schwartz stayed unless he was HC.

False. He was under contract to the Bills for at least 2-3 more years. He was going nowhere unless he got a head coaching offer, which was highly unlikely. If Rex had not fired him, Schwartz would have been DC last year.

Has a coordinator ever quit because they weren't promoted? Serious question.

Not if they were still under contract. It's not an option, unless you plan to retire.

I think it is going to depend on how the season goes

There are things that are difficult for ANY head coach to overcome.....key injuries for example and that has to be taken into consideration

If we get to 10 wins I think he stays no matter what

if its less then that....but factors come into play (ugh) then he might get another year

if the team stays relatively healthy....and they dont get to 10 wins....I think Rex is gone.

The way the CBA severely limits practice time, you can't in fairness fire coaches in less than 3 years, IMO; changing entire coaching staffs these days normally has devastating effects on teams early on, especially when the brand new schemes are extremely complex. Unless you hire someone with simple, college type schemes (ring a bell , anyone?) that players have seen before and have no trouble adapting to. Of course, then you get killed on the field because everyone else knows the simple schemes and how to attack them. Choose your poison. Interchangeable coaches mean simple schemes; get unique coaches with unique schemes, get used to the fact you'll have them for 3 or 4 years to see if the players can win with them. my take.

Jauron had a lot less talent with which to work than Rex has. It isn't even comparable and it isn't totally fair to judge the passive style given that being aggressive with his group would have resulted in......bad things.

This is an interesting take on the Levy/Jauron years.

The thing is, they built the team starting with the secondary, and ruined it in 2006 with that awful draft.

Schobel was a fine player and a very good pass rusher. Jauron had him lined up so wide he was almost out of bounds, and had him in coverage quite often. At the time, he was probably the only good pass rusher we had.

Staring with Pettine (who I wish was still here), I really thought the passive defenses were gone. Now, here is this blowhard who talks trash and has 100 million dollar linemen running away from scrimmage, while he is calling them "bullies." Then, why not bring in his brother?! It's unbelievable. :(

Personally, I like all four seasons... Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. You only get two seasons when you live way down south.

The rainy season is nice at first. Good to see the plants come back and feel the rain again. But after a while ...

And the dry season is nice at first. No more rain. A chance to go outside and see the sun. Then everything dries up and turns brown and wildfires start burning things down. So after a while ...

The flip side is we were really patient with Jauron and Gailey. Where did that get us?

I think we have a very talented roster and it is getting wasted. Right now looking at Rex's career, his first 2 seasons look like the fluke. He might not just be a good head coach.

Obviously, we will never know for sure. I think Marrone is an awful coach but he won 9 games because he stayed out of the defense's way.

I honestly think any offensive guy we hired who kept Schwartz would have been as successful if not more than Rex. I love David Shaw of Stanford. I think Hue Jackson has a chance to be a good coach. Hell, I think Adam Gase might be a decent hire.

Again, I was on board with Rex. I might even be on board if he showed signs of learning. But he is that guy who will brag even if he goes 0-16.

Being patient with Jauron and Gailey didn't get us far because neither had adequate talent on their rosters. Call me crazy but sometimes I think Jauron was a QB & OC away from being a successful coach. And I think Gailey might have been a QB & DC away from being a successful coach. We'll never know.

Playoffs or bust is a silly standard. Only 12 of 32 teams make the playoffs. Generally speaking - with some exceptions - those 12 teams will have franchise QBs and established coaches. To give Rex just two years to join that elite group when he has a new QB, new offensive coaching staff and scheme, and a new defensive coaching staff and scheme is too demanding in my opinion.

I say this even though I agree with many of C.Biscuit's points. Rex didn't use his defensive roster to their full potential last year. The D should have been better. Rex is not off to a good start. But I think he needs an opportunity to right the ship.

And I think the Pegulas need to become like the Rooneys. If a coaching opportunity comes up in Pittsburgh, every coach and their brother wants the job because the Rooneys are patient, wise owners who give their coaches a fair chance to succeed. We don't want the Pegulas to be like Al Davis: trigger happy, meddling, impetuous. The Pegulas are new and forming their reputations now - for the future of the Bills it's important they create a coach-friendly reputation.

Buffalo needs to be a place where coaches most want to coach because here they receive the full support of the owners and entire organization.

False. He was under contract to the Bills for at least 2-3 more years. He was going nowhere unless he got a head coaching offer, which was highly unlikely. If Rex had not fired him, Schwartz would have been DC last year.

Not if they were still under contract. It's not an option, unless you plan to retire.

Not false. He was interviewed for the HC position before RR was even a gleam in anyone's eye and he informed Pegula and Co. during that interview that he was not interested in staying unless he was hired as HC. They were hoping he would entertain the idea of staying on should they hire somebody else for the HC position, not knowing at the time that it would end up being a coach with different ideas about playing defense.

This idea that Rex "fired" him is somewhat misleading. He was "fired" as a professional courtesy so as to continue to collect his annual $2m salary, which had two more years to run. Schwartz was never going to work with RR given what he said the week before during his interview with the brass, not to mention their disparate philosophies on defensive football.

Not sure why any of this matters at this point, anyway. I mean other than to further make RR the heavy who fired the popular DC. It was a bit more nuanced than that.

GO BILLS!!!

Not false. He was interviewed for the HC position before RR was even a gleam in anyone's eye and he informed Pegula and Co. during that interview that he was not interested in staying unless he was hired as HC. They were hoping he would entertain the idea of staying on should they hire somebody else for the HC position, not knowing at the time that it would end up being a coach with different ideas about playing defense.

This idea that Rex "fired" him is somewhat misleading. He was "fired" as a professional courtesy so as to continue to collect his annual $2m salary, which had two more years to run. Schwartz was never going to work with RR given what he said the week before during his interview with the brass, not to mention their disparate philosophies on defensive football.

Not sure why any of this matters at this point, anyway. I mean other than to further make RR the heavy who fired the popular DC. It was a bit more nuanced than that.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, false. Schwartz was under contract with the Bills for two more seasons as their DC. He did not have the option to unilaterally decide he did not want to serve as DC under Rex or whichever HC the Bills brought in, unless he wanted to sit out for two years without pay, any more than Sammy had the option not to play for the Bills under Rex. The Bills might have released Schwartz as a courtesy, or more likely, with the understanding that Rex wanted Thurman anyway, but it does not change the fact that Schwartz did not have the choice to decide not to serve as DC just because he was not named HC.

Yes, false. Schwartz was under contract with the Bills for two more seasons as their DC. He did not have the option to unilaterally decide he did not want to serve as DC under Rex or whichever HC the Bills brought in, unless he wanted to sit out for two years without pay, any more than Sammy had the option not to play for the Bills under Rex. The Bills might have released Schwartz as a courtesy, or more likely, with the understanding that Rex wanted Thurman anyway, but it does not change the fact that Schwartz did not have the choice to decide not to serve as DC just because he was not named HC.

I will be as succinct as possible. Early in the first week of January 2015, shortly after Marrone quit, Schwartz was interviewed for the HC job. He was among the first, actually. During that interview, he was asked by Terry Pegula himself if he would be interested in staying on as DC if they decided to hire someone else as HC. Schwartz declined. Again, Schwartz declined. This occurred before the first interview with Rex Ryan, let alone the 2nd interview and then the decision to hire him.

It may be worth it to mention why Schwartz declined. The way I understand it is, he didn't think it would be fair to a new HC to not have a say in his staff.

Seems this was all discussed here shortly after Ryan was hired and people started moaning about Schwartz. This is old ground. Believe what you want. But there were people in that building who were in a position to know.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I will be as succinct as possible. Early in the first week of January 2015, shortly after Marrone quit, Schwartz was interviewed for the HC job. He was among the first, actually. During that interview, he was asked by Terry Pegula himself if he would be interested in staying on as DC if they decided to hire someone else as HC. Schwartz declined. Again, Schwartz declined. This occurred before the first interview with Rex Ryan, let alone the 2nd interview and then the decision to hire him.

It may be worth it to mention why Schwartz declined. The way I understand it is, he didn't think it would be fair to a new HC to not have a say in his staff.

Seems this was all discussed here shortly after Ryan was hired and people started moaning about Schwartz. This is old ground. Believe what you want. But there were people in that building who were in a position to know.

GO BILLS!!!

And I'll be as succinct as possible: Schwartz was under contract with the Bills and he did not have the right to "decline" to serve as DC just because someone else was hired as HC.

If Pegula decided not to hold Schwartz to his contract, that's an entirely different matter. But if that's true, then it was Pegula's CHOICE to let him out of the contract, not Scwartz's choice to decline to serve as DC because he wasn't "interested" in doing so. If Pegula wanted him to be the Bills' DC in 2015, Schwartz would have had no other choice--except to take a couple years off without pay.

Edited by mannc