Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Very brief overview

He is using a more dump and chase method..so D gets the puck in their zone, they fire a stretch pass to a forward , forward dumps the puck into the offensive zone, and the forwards forecheck and work the "cycle" game.

couple problems with that

1) it is a proven fact that in the game of hockey, very rarely do you score when you do not have the puck

2) that has led to teams focusing on possession time...which the Sabres still suck at outside of Jack

3) (now watch JohnC's head explode) Big part of the problem is our D can't clear and carry the puck and make an accurate first pass, why they need to trade Kane for puck carrying D-man :nana:

4) PK design is too passive, and thats killing this team

That being said, this team being so lazy ass getting on and off the ice in the 2nd is not Disco's fault...its the players. And their -22 in the 2nd leads the NHL...if everyone else can handle the long change, so can they

You are a provocateur of the first degree. :pirate: A couple of defensemen will be added to the mix in the offseason. Be more patient and less impulsive. Trust the process. :D

Just to let you know Kane scored tonight in a low scoring game. His score came on a play that demonstrated speed, strength and a sniper shot. He was also rebounding from an illness in which he was weakened.

If this was a legal case you would be receiving an order that simply stated: Cease and desist. :D

Observations in this game: Lehner was the first star. He played a composed game with few frantic responses.

Bailey is getting more confident and is expanding his game with more puck carrying.

Rodriques is a surprise addition. He can skate.

Although the Sabres for the most part controlled the play it was still a nerve wracking game to watch.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are a provocateur of the first degree. :pirate: A couple of defensemen will be added to the mix in the offseason. Be more patient and less impulsive. Trust the process. :D

Just to let you know Kane scored tonight in a low scoring game. His score came on a play that demonstrated speed, strength and a sniper shot. He was also rebounding from an illness in which he was weakened.

If this was a legal case you would be receiving an order that simply stated: Cease and desist. :D

Observations in this game: Lehner was the first star for us. He played a composed game with few frantic responses. The first star for the game should go to the Av's goalie.

Bailey is getting more confident and is expanding his game with more puck carrying.

Rodriques is a surprise addition. He can skate.

Although the Sabres for the most part controlled the play it was still a nerve wracking game to watch.

Thanks guys so we have a coach that uses an outdated system like Rex, Awesome!!!

So we need guys who can handle the puck all the way down the ice.

Who would be a good coach for us then?

what the hell is PK?

Penalty kill. As for your question about a good coach for this team: we tried really hard to get him and he's coaching 90 minutes up the QEW in Toronto.

What are people's take on the face off battle? Everytime I check the stats, it seems Sabres are losing in that stat column. Last night no different. COL won almost a 1/4 more drops... 39/30.

I think it is critical if this team wants to get over the hump that they get better winning face offs.

Just my 2 uneducated cents.

What are people's take on the face off battle? Everytime I check the stats, it seems Sabres are losing in that stat column. Last night no different. COL won almost a 1/4 more drops... 39/30.

I think it is critical if this team wants to get over the hump that they get better winning face offs.

Just my 2 uneducated cents.

Colorado is first in the league in face off wins, goes to show you how much that matters...face offs in crunch time are all that really matter.

Other guys said it above, but I was extremely impressed with both Bailey and Rodrigues last night. Their speed and quick stick work bodes well for our future. And even though we are playing dump and chase, they are big bodied kids and play the system well.

It appears as though Nylander will make the club next year, and I expect him to make a great impact. Any idea about the other top prospects (Fasching/Guhle/Baptiste)?

wow, did the Sabres look that bad two years ago?

The odd thing about Colorado is that they have a number of top of the draft first round players on the roster. Success is not predicated on accumulating good young talent it is more about putting the pieces together that fit. Blending the talent is not only about coaching it is also about players willing to adjust their roles to complement the linemates. The same issue applies to defense pairings.

A team that went from accumulating talent to getting a better mix of players is Edmonton. They traded players, high end talent such as Taylor Hall, and got a lesser talent in a defenseman but needed more. They gave an overvalued contract to Lucic but it was worth it because he added toughness and grit to a team that much needed it.

Without a doubt Connonr McDavid is such a supremely talented player that he is going to elevate any team that he joins. But building a team is more than just adding good players to the roster.

It appears as though Nylander will make the club next year, and I expect him to make a great impact. Any idea about the other top prospects (Fasching/Guhle/Baptiste)?

Guhle is definitely going to be on the roster next year and will immediately contribute.

With Nylander there is a chance that he will be kept in Rochester a little longer, if not most of next season. The issue for him is not skill level. He has it in abundance. He's very young. He needs more physical development before he can handle the rigors of a full time NHL player.

Baptise is fast and he can score at a good clip in the minors. Whether it translates to the NHL is another question. Very often a top line player in the minors can't make the transition to third and fourth line style of plays.

I'm not sure what Fashing's status is right now. From what I have heard he is big, strong and a good skater. We have a number of that type of players in Bailey, Carrier, Foligno etc. in the system. Coins for a deal or two?

Taking an overview look at this team the organization has good players in the system. they are developing andwill add depth to the big club. Brought up players such as Bailey and Rodriques (pleasant surprise for me)) don't look out of place and also add an injection of new energy.

Without a doubt there are some disappointments how this season has unfolded but the trend line is definitely up. I would rather bet on a Sabre horse than a Bills horse if they were entered in the same race.

Guhle is definitely going to be on the roster next year and will immediately contribute.

With Nylander there is a chance that he will be kept in Rochester a little longer, if not most of next season. The issue for him is not skill level. He has it in abundance. He's very young. He needs more physical development before he can handle the rigors of a full time NHL player.

Baptise is fast and he can score at a good clip in the minors. Whether it translates to the NHL is another question. Very often a top line player in the minors can't make the transition to third and fourth line style of plays.

I'm not sure what Fashing's status is right now. From what I have heard he is big, strong and a good skater. We have a number of that type of players in Bailey, Carrier, Foligno etc. in the system. Coins for a deal or two?

Taking an overview look at this team the organization has good players in the system. they are developing andwill add depth to the big club. Brought up players such as Bailey and Rodriques (pleasant surprise for me)) don't look out of place and also add an injection of new energy.

Without a doubt there are some disappointments how this season has unfolded but the trend line is definitely up. I would rather bet on a Sabre horse than a Bills horse if they were entered in the same race.

Rasmus Asplund has a chance to be in Buffalo next season.

Where are you getting that from. Pretty much every commentary I hear on Nylander is that he's not ready physically yet. That's going to take time and there's no shame in him being in the AHL again next year. Maybe he winds up being a midseason call up, but I can't see him being anywhere near ready in October.

The odd thing about Colorado is that they have a number of top of the draft first round players on the roster. Success is not predicated on accumulating good young talent it is more about putting the pieces together that fit. Blending the talent is not only about coaching it is also about players willing to adjust their roles to complement the linemates. The same issue applies to defense pairings.

To me, Colorado is a perfect example of why you need to go out and hire the best man for the job instead of just handing a new role to a franchise legend. I don't mean to say that a guy like Joe Sakic can't be successful in that role, but they need to earn it first. They've been an absolute disaster with him at the helm except for year one (was that the team that all the advanced stats had them as incredibly lucky?). Does he start to taint his legacy in that town a bit the longer this goes on? I almost feel like certain teams hire these guys because they believe they're immune to criticism. Hell, we tried it here before the whole thing imploded within weeks.

Other guys said it above, but I was extremely impressed with both Bailey and Rodrigues last night. Their speed and quick stick work bodes well for our future. And even though we are playing dump and chase, they are big bodied kids and play the system well.

I sure hope Bailey stays up. I just see him as a Sky is the Limit player

I'd be shocked if he wasn't. Speed, speed, speed.

I remember when they tried to have Sam Reinhart play with the Sabres for 10 games...didn't go well. Playing in the AHL gave him a chance to grow physically and skill wise.

Rasmus Asplund has a chance to be in Buffalo next season.

I have heard high praise for him. Still believe and prefer that he spends the next year or two working on his game and physically and emotionally maturing. But your point on him is well taken. There are good players in the system. Let them grow so when called upon they will be ready. Bailey and to an extent McCabe is an example of waiting for the player to be ready. Another way of saying it is don't make decisions based on your team's needs---do it based on the player's development needs. Trust the process.

Edited by JohnC

I have heard high praise for him. Still believe and prefer that he spends the next year or two working on his game and physically and emotionally maturing. But your point on him is well taken. There are good players in the system. Let them grow so when called upon they will be ready. Bailey and to an extent McCabe is an example of waiting for the player to be ready. Another way of saying it is don't make decisions based on your team's needs---do it based on the player's development needs. Trust the process.

He's already playing against men in the SHL and presumably that'll give him a leg up with regard to his NHL readiness next season.

I remember when they tried to have Sam Reinhart play with the Sabres for 10 games...didn't go well. Playing in the AHL gave him a chance to grow physically and skill wise.

When he was sent back to the juniors he was given a training regimen. He was diligent in keeping up with the workouts even with his rigorous playing schedule. When he was sent to Rochester he was more physically ready to play in the minor league and was then more prepared to physically hand the rigors of the NHL.

In an interview he commented how doing the workouts after playing was exhausting. But he kept at it and now he is a burgeoning player. Good kid-high character-exceptional work ethic: A success.