Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Come on. That 4th goal was a pathetic "attempt" by Lehner.

Lehner has been very good most of the year, despite what is obviously a subpar defense in front of him. The Sabres are regularly outshot by wide margins and give up at least double the number of quality scoring chances they create. He isn't even in the neighborhood of problems this team has.

Every single goalie gives up a bad goal once in awhile. Continuing your mini-crusade by cherry picking every little thing the guy does wrong is beyond tiresome at this point. Get over yourself.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Biron, presumably a bit more tightly wired to the situation, says that Kane is not in the long range plans for the team. This on top of knowing that the Pegulas were royally pissed about the summertime incident that occurred when we hosted the draft and that the Wild broke off trade talks immediately thereafter. Tea leaves don't seem to favor Kane being retained. Question is, when do we trade him? Deadline, over the summer, or next deadline?

In a perfect world he stays with us forever. He's a great player. But if a decision has been made, it's been made.

Wise man that Marty Biron! Jk, and for the record again I like Kane but can see why trading him makes sense.

In terms of timing, they always say better deal is had in the summer...but I am itchy at the deadline....do the deal GMTM

Edited by plenzmd1

Wise man that Marty Biron! Jk, and for the record again I like Kane but can see why trading him makes sense.

In terms of timing, they always say better deal is had in the summer...but I am itchy at the deadline....do the deal GMTM

Marty Biron was giving his opinion on the Kane trade debate on the Hockey Show on WGR. There is no question that he is plugged in to the organization as K-9 stated. However, I think too much consideration is given to his opinion on this issue on a talk show.

Without question Kane was criticized by the organization, especially by the GM, for his rancid behavior. He was not only rebuked privately but also publicly. He was warned that he was out of chances. But that was then and since the tawdry behavior he has acted responsibly, at least as far as we know.

If Kane continues to play well and act in a responsible manner I don't see why this organization would want to get rid of him. Almost no player is immune from being traded if the right deal can be made. I still respectfully disagree with you on this issue and would be disappointed if he gets dealt.

When you have a productive goal scorer who is also a mutlfaceted player you should relish having that caliber of player on your roster. The desire to trade him is baffling.

Dl_rZ427_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

AVALANCHE (15-37-2) at SABRES (24-23-10)

THU FEB 16, 2017 @ 7:30 PM ET

TV: NBCSN

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 280)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 57 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 21 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 7 games
Zemgus Girgensons (middle body, Feb. 9; injured reserve) – 4 games
Cody Franson (foot, Feb. 11) – 3 games
Evander Kane (illness, Feb. 14) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/10: Assigned F Evan Rodrigues to Rochester (AHL)
2/11: Recalled F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL)
2/12: Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Placed F Zemgus Girgensons on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Feb. 18: St. Louis at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 19: Chicago at Buffalo, 6 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Colorado, 10 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Arizona, 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 28: Nashville at Buffalo, 7 p.m

TONIGHT’S GAME

AVALANCHE AT SABRES
This is the first of two meetings between the Avalanche and Sabres
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Colorado 4-1 in Buffalo on Feb. 14, 2016
The Sabres are 1-5-4 in their last 10 games vs. the Avalanche; 3-5-2 at home.
This is the 140th game all-time between Buffalo and Colorado; Buffalo has a 60-55-24 series record.
The Sabres are 37-21-11 at home against the Avalanche all-time.

Morning Skate: February 16, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

If Kane continues to play well and act in a responsible manner I don't see why this organization would want to get rid of him. Almost no player is immune from being traded if the right deal can be made. I still respectfully disagree with you on this issue and would be disappointed if he gets dealt.

When you have a productive goal scorer who is also a mutlfaceted player you should relish having that caliber of player on your roster. The desire to trade him is baffling.

My pet theory is that he's playing out of his mind to increase his trade value. He's likely not fond of Buffalo, but also recognized he couldn't be moved unless he played like it's his contract yr.

My pet theory is that he's playing out of his mind to increase his trade value. He's likely not fond of Buffalo, but also recognized he couldn't be moved unless he played like it's his contract yr.

Playing out of one's mind no matter what the motivation is should be celebrated. If more players played with such zeal without the interluding doldrums this team would be holding on to a playoff spot.

Kane has never been in the playoffs. Watching other teams playing playoff games from your couch year after year has to be dispiriting. Playing for a successful team is one way to make a player desire to say with that team. He can live wherever he wants in the offseason but winning more often would make his current in-season residence more appealing.

So Biron, presumably a bit more tightly wired to the situation, says that Kane is not in the long range plans for the team. This on top of knowing that the Pegulas were royally pissed about the summertime incident that occurred when we hosted the draft and that the Wild broke off trade talks immediately thereafter. Tea leaves don't seem to favor Kane being retained. Question is, when do we trade him? Deadline, over the summer, or next deadline?

In a perfect world he stays with us forever. He's a great player. But if a decision has been made, it's been made.

He might be the answer for getting a solid defenseman. At the deadline a team might want his scoring and offer us a good player in return, but defenseman are in high demand all the time

Playing out of one's mind no matter what the motivation is should be celebrated. If more players played with such zeal without the interluding doldrums this team would be holding on to a playoff spot.

Kane has never been in the playoffs. Watching other teams playing playoff games from your couch year after year has to be dispiriting. Playing for a successful team is one way to make a player desire to say with that team. He can live wherever he wants in the offseason but winning more often would make his current in-season residence more appealing.

I had to double check that never been in the playoffs stat even though it's kind of obvious. Suddenly I think he should be playing for the Bills instead.

Anyway, I don't know how much longer we can kick the can around on this should he/shouldn't he trade topic. I'm not so sure anyone's ever going to budge. Me, I'll still sit in the camp of those who are too cowardly to say anything and stick with the "if the price is right" mentality. I am very happy with where this offense is trending right now, but I still have no idea where the blue line reinforcement is going to come from.

He might be the answer for getting a solid defenseman. At the deadline a team might want his scoring and offer us a good player in return, but defenseman are in high demand all the time

A high end goal scorer is more valued than a solid defenseman. A solid defenseman can be more easily acquired after the season is finished and just before the draft. A top one and even top two pairing caliber of defenseman are tough for a team in the playoff hunt to give up.

I had to double check that never been in the playoffs stat even though it's kind of obvious. Suddenly I think he should be playing for the Bills instead.

Anyway, I don't know how much longer we can kick the can around on this should he/shouldn't he trade topic. I'm not so sure anyone's ever going to budge. Me, I'll still sit in the camp of those who are too cowardly to say anything and stick with the "if the price is right" mentality. I am very happy with where this offense is trending right now, but I still have no idea where the blue line reinforcement is going to come from.

With respect to the highlighted area you make the right point that is the obvious clinching point in this discussion. The offense is trending up and he is one of the prime reasons for it.

As far a bolstering our defense it isn't as dire as many are portraying. Next year Guhle is going to be added to the mix. In my mind he is a second pairing caliber defenseman. Risto is a top tier caliber defenseman in the league McCabe is an emerging player who is a top pairing caliber of player.

Just because a top defenseman is not easily attainable that doesn't mean that if you add good and responsible players back there that the defense won't be strengthened.

The Kulikov deal set the defense back. He has good physical skills but he is just too erratic of a player for me. He recklessly throws the puck away at the most inopportune time. Pysyk who is a steady/efficient player and a puck mover would certainly look good in a Sabre uniform.

Bogo is a big disappointment. He needs to reinvent his game. Instead of crunching people and getting hurt he should become more of a puck mover and finesse player. He can skate and pass. There is something to be said for being a good third pairing player instead of an injured and off the shelf player.

My recommendation is to be patient and don't be rash by giving up an asset that is difficult to replace. There is nothing wrong with maintaining the status quo until one is in a better position to make a good deal. The Sabres are going to shed some contracts this offseason so they will have the wherewithal to make some good purchases.

Be patient-be smart-short term solutions are not necessarily long term solutions-don't panic-be steady-trust the process.

That said, I don't think any potential deal for this team will be made with a short term point of view. There's absolutely no point to that right now and there's no way that isn't clear to every single person in the organization. If they're adding anyone for a top 6/4 role, they're adding someone they'll have control over for multiple years.

Can someone give me a quick snapshot of what we need to do to get in the playoffs. Last I checked we are about 5 points back from the last playoff spot. I'd love to see some playoff hockey.

Do we have games in hand over other teams above us?

Very slim chance, especially since they can't string any wins together. They have virtually no games in hand at the moment, due to a very busy month. They have 3 games coming up and then have their bye week, so maybe they'll have a game or 2 in hand, but they may also be farther behind, so we can pretty much throw that out. Basically they have to win about 5 or 6 straight to be in serious consideration. Then after that, no back to back losses with some win streaks mixed in. It's a tall order at this point, it's possible, but I don't see it with this team.

Edited by ricojes

Can someone give me a quick snapshot of what we need to do to get in the playoffs. Last I checked we are about 5 points back from the last playoff spot. I'd love to see some playoff hockey.

Do we have games in hand over other teams above us?

https://www.nhl.com/standings

It really is the only way to see the games played for everyone.

Thanks. Damn, there's 9 pts between Detroit and Toronto with 7 teams in the hunt. Slim...very slim. Unless we string together 9 wins in a row like ricojes said.

For a good picture of why it is the way it is right now, take a look at the record over the last 10 games for each of these teams. It might as well be the equivalent 5-5 across the board. No one is gaining/losing ground on each other. And that also should give you a good idea of how tough it will be to close the current gap.