Jim Kelly on Jim Rome Today... win or else for Rex and other

Count me in the 'I wouldn't normally advocate swapping coaches every two years because that's what losing franchises do and I am an eternal Bills optimist and always give the team and its coaches the benefit of the doubt but I'm already over Rex Ryan and believe him to be a total and utter clown and would be willing to make an exception for him if they don't make the playoffs this season' crowd.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as Russ sticks to marketing and doesn't pretend to know how to run a football team, it's OK.

His role within the organization, too, should not be compared to previous ownership.

The same Russ Brandon who chose not to go to the NHL Draft Lottery to make phone calls to UDFAs after the draft ended? Sure, it's not a big thing, but Smithers is involved and every time his name pops up I think of this:

Russ' personality isn't one to take a back seat and he's not changing.

The coaching merry go round leads to 16 years with no playoffs...

Great post, how did we miss Greg Williams, Dick Jauron, Chad Gailey, Greg Marone and there SB coaching ability. They are showing Buffalo what they had all over the NFL!

As long as Russ sticks to marketing and doesn't pretend to know how to run a football team, it's OK.

His role within the organization, too, should not be compared to previous ownership.

Even if his role changed, the chump he hired is still the GM. Continuity of failure.

Swapping bad HC's for possible good ones is the key for success.

yay

The coaching merry go round of the past should not be compared to a coaching change now.

Nothing from previous ownership should really be compared to the current regime.

please take note folks.

Push pin it mentally at least.

a nail to the noggin if needed

5 years.

Look at Fisher and Snead?

The Bills are idiots if they feel keeping loosing coaches indefinitely is the way to success.

so whats the answer then?

Should there be a fixed timeline?

I have considered 3 full years to be a minimum for a HC and GM to have to dial the program in.

But there is no way Pegula and Ryan did not have a firm plan going in.

You do not bring in someone at that level to adjust on the fly. You let them run their method.

Knowing full well there is a line in the sand and agreed milestones.

Maybe fixing the offense was the first goal ?

Look at Fisher and Snead?

so whats the answer then?

Should there be a fixed timeline?

I have considered 3 full years to be a minimum for a HC and GM to have to dial the program in.

But there is no way Pegula and Ryan did not have a firm plan going in.

You do not bring in someone at that level to adjust on the fly. You let them run their method.

Knowing full well there is a line in the sand and agreed milestones.

Maybe fixing the offense was the first goal ?

Is Fisher a good or bad comparison?

Do you think that is gonna work?

what do you think i think?

there are only so many coaches and so many QBs to go around. Fisher has had what? 4-5 years with around 7 wins each season.

I find a limit in patience. rex has not reached my limit in Buffalo.

A winning team needs the whole and Big Picture to be dialed in and up. and then to go post season Game Teams still needs some luck to survive a full season and be strong at the tail end

Edited by 3rdand12

I'm supportive of consistency but that can't become a rallying cry. If Rex doesn't make the playoffs, he will probably be close to hitting a league high with current coaches playoff droughts. We can hire the wrong guy and consistency wouldn't do much to help. I don't know if it's playoffs or bust, but I need to see a few things this year. Communication on defense/good defensive results is probably #1.

I'm supportive of consistency but that can't become a rallying cry. If Rex doesn't make the playoffs, he will probably be close to hitting a league high with current coaches playoff droughts. We can hire the wrong guy and consistency wouldn't do much to help. I don't know if it's playoffs or bust, but I need to see a few things this year. Communication on defense/good defensive results is probably #1.

Agreed. This is the last coach that made consistency his mantra:

The Bills are idiots. if they feel keeping loosing coaches indefinitely is the way to success.

Fixed.

The same Russ Brandon who chose not to go to the NHL Draft Lottery to make phone calls to UDFAs after the draft ended? Sure, it's not a big thing, but Smithers is involved and every time his name pops up I think of this:

Russ' personality isn't one to take a back seat and he's not changing.

I didn't know that, but I don't need any more anecdotes to form my opinion on Russ Brandon's involvement. He continually says he's not involved, and everywhere we look he's busy grinning behind the scenes, constantly having a voice in important team decisions.

When Marvin Lewis took over the Bengals in 2003, were they supposed to be good? He went 8-8 the first two years and they stuck with him. I think that as long as the season is not a total dumpster fire (6-10 record with no major injuries or something like that) have Rex come back for at least one more.

The Bills are idiots if they feel swapping coaches every two-three years is the way to success.

True but it would help if we really had good coaches all these years.

I think the best we have had since Marv was Wade (who is still innovating as a DC) and the worst was Jauron. If you look at the HCs that have left here none of them have done much since they have left here (except Wade and maybe Chan and Grego).

Wade Phillips

Greg Williams

Mike Mularkey

Dick Jauron

Chan Gailey

Doug Maroon

Rex Ryan

I don't remember all the coaches who were available when we fired/hired the next guy but after Chan I really wanted Bruce Arians, who is now doing quite well in Arizona. Will Rex be the guy? I sure hope so but I really feel he is just a DC.