MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

I totally get this. This is what I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. Rex, for all his faults, and despite his numerous sins for which I have yet to forgive, he is... FUN. And, now, with his fat, bitterly jolly brother sneering next to him, there is a whole new dynamic that only adds to the spectacle. I really, really, REALLY wish they would succeed so that I could love them...

(I too, I believe, have a very active sense of humor, but I'm not sure how healthy it is. It has gotten me in trouble, both professionally, and personally, throughout my life.)

This whole thing would be quite swell if Bills actually threatened the division.

I would not mind that one bit !

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It COULD be fun, if they were to win - a LOT. All talk and not enough winning is not fun. A CB who yaps a lots and gives up 3-4 TD's/game is just a fool I wish not to suffer. I hope the Ryan brothers win and add the fun in a natural way. They want to trick offenses, which is fine if it works, but they won't trick me into liking them. They have to earn that. Just Do It! (Hey, that's catchy!)

Follow up from Jenny Vrentas: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/29/carolina-panthers-ron-rivera-nfl-super-bowl-return

Rex’s comment about not being sure if there was 100 percent buy-in for him at One Bills Drive, and naming the business staff, raised some eyebrows. I saw some speculation that he was referring to team president Russ Brandon, so I wanted to clear that up and say unequivocally that he was not. He and Brandon have a very good partnership, one that I have witnessed firsthand. Sometimes words look different in print than when said out loud, but I don’t think his comment was pointed at anyone.

Rex referred to The Buffalo News report from January that Terry Pegula gave him and GM Doug Whaley an ultimatum: Make the fixes to get to the playoffs in 2016, or be fired. I’m not using it to dispute the report, but because it’s interesting to hear Rex’s outlook on his job security amid much external speculation. “The media looks at it [like], Well, we have to win this year,” Rex said. “Or what? Oh, I am going to be fired? I don’t think so. I’m not going to worry about it, because we are going to win anyway. But it’s like, that is an ultimatum. No.”

Follow up from Jenny Vrentas: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/29/carolina-panthers-ron-rivera-nfl-super-bowl-return

Rex’s comment about not being sure if there was 100 percent buy-in for him at One Bills Drive, and naming the business staff, raised some eyebrows. I saw some speculation that he was referring to team president Russ Brandon, so I wanted to clear that up and say unequivocally that he was not. He and Brandon have a very good partnership, one that I have witnessed firsthand. Sometimes words look different in print than when said out loud, but I don’t think his comment was pointed at anyone.

Rex referred to The Buffalo News report from January that Terry Pegula gave him and GM Doug Whaley an ultimatum: Make the fixes to get to the playoffs in 2016, or be fired. I’m not using it to dispute the report, but because it’s interesting to hear Rex’s outlook on his job security amid much external speculation. “The media looks at it [like], Well, we have to win this year,” Rex said. “Or what? Oh, I am going to be fired? I don’t think so. I’m not going to worry about it, because we are going to win anyway. But it’s like, that is an ultimatum. No.”

hmmm.

@AroundTheNFL

Cj48lYKVEAAFMoI.jpg

2) Rex Ryan, head coach, Buffalo Bills

After only one year in Buffalo, the bloom is officially off the rose for this braggadocious head coach. As we guaranteed, Rex's act wore thin as the Bills finished 8-8 and failed to deliver on his expectations of making the playoffs. Ryan's poor in-game management and losses to inferior teams were often on display in Year 1.

And so was his ego, which extended into the draft, when Rex picked Shaq Lawson. Then, he and general manager Doug Whaley scoffed at the notion that they plucked an injured player. Well, Lawson just had shoulder surgery.

I still can't believe the Pegulas were duped into hiring Rex. But here's hoping for the great Bills fans. They know the act is up.

Guess Schein is another who has talked to the Pegulas about the "ultimatum". :rolleyes:

@WGR550

"If the Bills have a bad year in 2016. Rex Ryan is still the coach in 2017." -@SalSports

Wonder how low that level goes down to, say we go 2-14 (which I doubt) do they still stick to that?

good to hear, I always liked the Ryan defense until last year, hopefully that was an aberration.

Can someone who understands x's and o's more than I do please explain what Rob Ryan was talking about re: Jarius Byrd:

ROB: I think everything starts with the head coach and goes higher than that. They signed players; they signed a free-agent free safety [Jairus Byrd in 2014], and said, we are going to keep him in the middle of the field like the goalpost. Well, thats great. Hes not going to make one play back there, and now we have changed the entire defense for one signing, and it ruined us. Hes a great kid. But the truth of the matter is, you let an All-Pro safety walk, Malcolm Jenkins, and lost your two best leaders on the team, him and Roman Harper. We changed the entire style of play. It was strange.

Byrds best play has came in a single high safety role. He was often at the top of the league with earl Thomas (recall the Seattle reference)

Picture him as the guy lined up deep between the hashes and allowed to read and flow through to the play. Problem is that when you have no pass rush, no corners and no lb help- it's easy to avoid that guy. In Seattle that guy knows the ball is coming out quick, and that Sherman can handle his own/will be avoided. Makes it easier to take guesses and make plays. When the qb can stand back and read the whole field and has no CB reliably shutting down his options- how does that safety really get sideline to sideline (and play the run because the front 7 doesn't have it) (and he's slowed by lower body injuries)

Wonder how low that level goes down to, say we go 2-14 (which I doubt) do they still stick to that?

good to hear, I always liked the Ryan defense until last year, hopefully that was an aberration.

2-14? The Bills might not be good or great in 2016 because there are many things that have to come together, but they have too many good players to have a record as bad as that.