MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

2-14? The Bills might not be good or great in 2016 because there are many things that have to come together, but they have too many good players to have a record as bad as that.

Which is why I said I doubt it, but stranger things have happened like a top defense and a top defensive coach leading to a abysmal defense.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why I said I doubt it, but stranger things have happened like a top defense and a top defensive coach leading to a abysmal defense.

Do you know what abysmal means? It means the absolute worst as in unfathomably bad. Is that accurate regarding the 2015 defense? By any objective measure, it's no.

“I didn’t see the interview, but I do know this: I’ll forever and always have a lot of love for Rob Ryan, just because there’s nobody that’s going to shoot you straighter,” Hicks said. “He’s going to tell you how it is, he’s going to tell you how he feels, and you’re always going to understand his perspective on things, and I feel like that was taken away.”

We really needed that ray of hope for Rob , just get those plays in on time .

Edited by ALF

Would you be ok with demi-abysmal?

Dude she was a crappy actress with a terrible voice a horrible personality and overrated looks so abysmal fits, but this is a football thread. Start something in OTW if you hate her so much.

Good buddy of mine is a huge Saints fan, and also is aware of my love for the Bills. We discussed Rob Ryan and the situation in New Orleans recently, and his perspective was that Rob and Sean did not really seem to get along or be on the same page. This surprised me a bit, because I expected my friend to be overly supportive of Payton and fall in line with the "Ryan is a blowhard" commentary. The fact he did not leads me to put more credence in Ryan's comments.

Good buddy of mine is a huge Saints fan, and also is aware of my love for the Bills. We discussed Rob Ryan and the situation in New Orleans recently, and his perspective was that Rob and Sean did not really seem to get along or be on the same page. This surprised me a bit, because I expected my friend to be overly supportive of Payton and fall in line with the "Ryan is a blowhard" commentary. The fact he did not leads me to put more credence in Ryan's comments.

that team has underachieved the last few years under Payton given that they have been in a less than great division and have a HOF QB. I think there is a lot of blame being shifted to try to explain that. I believe Rob should be held accountable for part of their defensive failures. But I am sure he isn't solely responsible.

I didnt see the interview, but I do know this: Ill forever and always have a lot of love for Rob Ryan, just because theres nobody thats going to shoot you straighter, Hicks said. Hes going to tell you how it is, hes going to tell you how he feels, and youre always going to understand his perspective on things, and I feel like that was taken away.

We really needed that ray of hope for Rob , just get those plays in on time .

did we ever find out who the guy is that Preston called out last year for not getting the plays in fast enough? He didn't seem to know who it was then and when interviewed again a couple months ago still didn't seem to know.

that team has underachieved the last few years under Payton given that they have been in a less than great division and have a HOF QB. I think there is a lot of blame being shifted to try to explain that. I believe Rob should be held accountable for part of their defensive failures. But I am sure he isn't solely responsible.

Right. I don't believe Ryan 100% -- heck, probably not even 60% -- but there appears to be at least some truth to his comments.

The best part about Rob joining the Bills, if you're a glass-half-full kind of guy, is that he's not directly responsible for running an entire unit. He can be given specific projects upon which to focus such as game-planning and film study, and won't have the burden of being an "organizer." He's got a consultant/guru sort of role, which may wind up being very valuable to Rex.

Right. I don't believe Ryan 100% -- heck, probably not even 60% -- but there appears to be at least some truth to his comments.

The best part about Rob joining the Bills, if you're a glass-half-full kind of guy, is that he's not directly responsible for running an entire unit. He can be given specific projects upon which to focus such as game-planning and film study, and won't have the burden of being an "organizer." He's got a consultant/guru sort of role, which may wind up being very valuable to Rex.

is it surprising that the head coach and GM would supply at least some input on the defense? it would surprise me more if Rob Ryan had full autonomy at all times. there should be dialogue and push back and forth in that relationship.

handing him the reigns unquestioned would be odd when there were issues with his ability to organize and handle basics. As SP said, there were an inordinate number of plays where the saints had the wrong number of players on the field defensively.

Trouble is (from my perspective) that an organizer is exactly what Rex needs.

is it surprising that the head coach and GM would supply at least some input on the defense? it would surprise me more if Rob Ryan had full autonomy at all times. there should be dialogue and push back and forth in that relationship.

handing him the reigns unquestioned would be odd when there were issues with his ability to organize and handle basics. As SP said, there were an inordinate number of plays where the saints had the wrong number of players on the field defensively.

Maybe we're misunderstanding each other...I'm not suggesting Rob has full reign, just that his "job" is to nitpick the hell out of what the Bills are doing as well as what their opponents are doing in an effort to make the Bills better. This is exactly the sort of feedback that would be good for Rex, I think.

"As a player in that system, you can see when power is taken away from a guy. It was evident in that situation and you saw what the turnout was because of it."

Seems there's some truth to Rob's story. Then again, you have to wonder why Payton took Rob's power away in the first place. Rob says Payton wanted to run a Seattle style defense. Apparently, Payton had more faith in that than he did in Rob. So you have to ask: how did Rob lose Payton's confidence?

Given his track record, I certainly would not want Rob as a DC. But I'm open-minded to seeing what he accomplishes in his current role.

"As a player in that system, you can see when power is taken away from a guy. It was evident in that situation and you saw what the turnout was because of it."

Seems there's some truth to Rob's story. Then again, you have to wonder why Payton took Rob's power away in the first place. Rob says Payton wanted to run a Seattle style defense. Apparently, Payton had more faith in that than he did in Rob. So you have to ask: how did Rob lose Payton's confidence?

Given his track record, I certainly would not want Rob as a DC. But I'm open-minded to seeing what he accomplishes in his current role.

i think Rob's point was that he wasn't the right guy to run the Seattle D, and they didn't have the right personnel to run it well. So the question is why didn't they fire Rob sooner. Especially since they had brought in Dennis Allen as DB coach before the season and it looked like he was primed to take over as DC with his experience.

Maybe we're misunderstanding each other...I'm not suggesting Rob has full reign, just that his "job" is to nitpick the hell out of what the Bills are doing as well as what their opponents are doing in an effort to make the Bills better. This is exactly the sort of feedback that would be good for Rex, I think.

gotcha - i was more addressing the ryan comments re: the saints. If i misunderstood that part, my mistake.

i agree he wouldnt have that here, but in skimming the thread i thought your first line was regarding credibility of ryans complaints about the meddling from above in nola

gotcha - i was more addressing the ryan comments re: the saints. If i misunderstood that part, my mistake.

i agree he wouldnt have that here, but in skimming the thread i thought your first line was regarding credibility of ryans complaints about the meddling from above in nola

You did read that correctly; I think there is some credibility regarding Rob's complaints in NOLA, but I believe the best scenario for him is probably the one he wound up with -- working for his brother and knowing he can freely and openly discuss anything.

i think Rob's point was that he wasn't the right guy to run the Seattle D, and they didn't have the right personnel to run it well. So the question is why didn't they fire Rob sooner. Especially since they had brought in Dennis Allen as DB coach before the season and it looked like he was primed to take over as DC with his experience.

Personnel is usually the issue and if Peyton wants to emulate Carroll, he should start with Carroll's front seven philosophy, which is to play 43 fronts with athletes traditionally better suited to 34 schemes.

GO BILLS!!!

You did read that correctly; I think there is some credibility regarding Rob's complaints in NOLA, but I believe the best scenario for him is probably the one he wound up with -- working for his brother and knowing he can freely and openly discuss anything.

I'm not dismissing the possibility that Rob had some legitimate complaints how things went down in NO. But what is to be gained at this point engaging on his Saint experience when he now is employed by another team? Even if someone else brought up the topic the best response should have been that there is no benefit in discussing the past and that he is fully invested in the now and future.

I'm not suggesting that this back and forth between him and Payton is much of an issue. But he stirred up some back and forth finger pointing when if he could have just said no comment. That it would have been a more prudent response. Both brothers are more comfortable loosely talking than they are at thinking through what they intend to say.

I'm not dismissing the possibility that Rob had some legitimate complaints how things went down in NO. But what is to be gained at this point engaging on his Saint experience when he now is employed by another team? Even if someone else brought up the topic the best response should have been that there is no benefit in discussing the past and that he is fully invested in the now and future.

I'm not suggesting that this back and forth between him and Payton is much of an issue. But he stirred up some back and forth finger pointing when if he could have just said no comment. That it would have been a more prudent response. Both brothers are more comfortable loosely talking than they are at thinking through what they intend to say.

Of course you are correct that discretion is generally the better part of valor, but we know that's not how the Ryan boys play!

Do you know what abysmal means? It means the absolute worst as in unfathomably bad. Is that accurate regarding the 2015 defense? By any objective measure, it's no.

yep, think I hit the nail on the head:

Simple Definition of abysmal
  • : extremely poor or bad

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary