MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

Grand plans, tied hands and lap bands. The chatter is fast, furious and full of bad words as the Ryan twins discuss their 2015 failures, their sideline reunion and how the Bills will beat the big, bad Belichick once and for all

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/26/rob-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-interview-nfl

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REX: "I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. There are people that, I know for a fact, don’t believe in me; they don’t believe in the direction of the football team. That’s fine and dandy. I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also. People who are smart enough to believe in it. Because the Ryans are going to get it done. You’ve gotta credit Dennis Thurman, too. It’s hard to bring in a Rob Ryan to be the assistant head coach/defense and, oh by the way, the coordinator is still here. The coordinator is Dennis Thurman. We’re not twin brothers, but we are brothers, and we have been together for 14 years."

VRENTAS: Rex, you also have said you didn’t run your defense 100 percent last year?

REX: "Well, but that’s my fault. That was the difference. That was a mistake that I made. It was the exact opposite of that. Nobody told me to do this. I screwed up, and that’s totally on me. So if people lost a little faith in it, or whatever, I can understand. I should be doubted, because I made a mistake in judgment. But just go back and look at the history. You are going to get the real deal this year, and we’ll see how it goes. I know how it has gone my whole career."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Interesting that Rob says that the Saints wanted him to run the Seattle defense. He will definitely get to run his/rex D here so if they fail there will be no excuses.

Rex hates negative people, uh oh better skip the 3N thread.

has gained 30Lbs since Rob got here lol

Interesting interview.

Did Rob really say he did a damn good job in New Orleans???

They are both all over the place in the interview.

Lol these guys come off as a joke even more after reading that.

he did when he ran his defense.

They do talk too much trash but that is them, we shall see what happens this yr when they are running their defense.

"I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. -snip- I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also."

This is an unhealthy attitude imho, basically he is saying I only want yaysayers on my staff. That doesn't result in a winning environment; you need an environment where constructive critism prevails.

"I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. -snip- I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also."

This is an unhealthy attitude imho, basically he is saying I only want yaysayers on my staff. That doesn't result in a winning environment; you need an environment where constructive critism prevails.

I don't think that is what he meant, he just wants people who believe in the plan they have.

They both made it clearer that if there were problems they would say it because not saying anything cost them their last jobs.

Robs full of excuses.

They are characters but the whole "we are going to be great" thing got old after year 1.

not a fan of the false bravado myself, but they are who we have and they have had success before and I'm willing to see how they do now with out any restrictions.

I am concerned that their defense is super complicated and may be too hard or take too long to master.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I like the Ed Reed hire , but still concerned a complex system with last second substitutions can be beat by a hurry up offense.

At the Ralph it's very noisy when the Bill's D is on the field trying to call a complicated play.

It will be the most interesting season in many years , hope they succeed .

I like the Ed Reed hire , but still concerned a complex system with last second substitutions can be beat by a hurry up offense.

At the Ralph it's very noisy when the Bill's D is on the field trying to call a complicated play.

It will be the most interesting season in many years , hope they succeed .

They are putting pressure on themselves and it sounds like they welcome it. Time to prove it on the field of play.

Interesting interview.

Did Rob really say he did a damn good job in New Orleans???

They are both all over the place in the interview.

Lol these guys come off as a joke even more after reading that.

Robs full of excuses.

They are characters but the whole "we are going to be great" thing got old after year 1.

Do you ever tire of coming in and posting this stuff? Seriously, we all know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, your feelings:

Blah, blah, blah...2014 defense.

Blah, blah, blah...Rex ruined it.

Blah, blah, blah...Mario.

Blah, blah, blah...Ryans are a joke.

Holy broken record, Batman!

I thought Rex was fine in the interview. That's who he is. Could have left out the part on Mario. I thought Rob came off as a buffoon mainly because he threw Sean Payton and Dennis Allen under the bus. Should have left that part out, true or untrue (it's probably somewhere in the middle) as it was unnecessary IMO.

I just hope fans and the team have the patience to give them more than a year or three before demanding heads. This team has had a new coach every 2-3 years for this drought, it seems like, and its clearly not working. Lets give continuity a try, even if its painful for a while.

Rob Ryan: "I am great."

Err..... no you're not. You are what your record says you are... and that is a failed NFL defensive coordinator who rather than taking a position coach role has managed to get an invented Assistant Head Coach job working for his brother.

Interesting tidbit about how Rex said last year's team didn't have anyone from his previous teams to be able to let the players know they could come to him. First I got the impression that Marrone ran the team the opposite way, where the players only ever came to the position coaches with issues and the position coaches brought to th HC . Not uncommon. But it was an indirect comment on the Karl Dunbar firing. I have a feeling that the players were expressing issues they had to Dunbar, and Dunbar wasn't telling Rex, and then by the time he found out it was too late. I could be wrong, but that was what i thought when j read that part.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I can't stand negative people either -- at home, work, TBD, or the Buffalo media.

In my view: Negativity breeds negativity.

There is a difference between being a realist and someone who simply wants to push a negative agenda.

I just hope fans and the team have the patience to give them more than a year or three before demanding heads. This team has had a new coach every 2-3 years for this drought, it seems like, and its clearly not working. Lets give continuity a try, even if its painful for a while.

Yeah, but you need to have continuity with the right people or you'll just be continuously mediocre or poor. The Titians are opting for continuity with Mularkey. How do you think that is going to work for them?

I read a study about successful people awhile back. One of the main points it made was that they typically failed - and quit - a lot, much more than the average person. Two of their best traits were: 1) being able to identify ventures that were likely to fail early in the process so they didn't waste time and resources on them and 2) continuing to believe in themselves so they kept trying new ventures. Eventually something clicked and they made it big. In essence, they did the opposite of what is usually praised in this world. They almost never saw things through. Over and over again they quit, usually early in the process.

Edited by BarleyNY

They'll never learn. Sure, talk trash about the Pats. How did that work out last season? God, just get the season over and get these clowns out of Orchard Park.

You must not have read the part where he said Belichick is the best coach in the history of the game:

"And I have worked for Belichick, who is the best head coach in football, in the history of the game."

The thread is an interview with Rex and Rob, no?

Lol, when Rob Ryan says he wasn't at fault in New Orleans, how does anyone take what he says seriously or not come to the conclusion this guys a fool? You disagree?

Hopefully the addition of some more "Rex" guys helps strengthen the knowledge of the defense for the players.

He said twice that the Saints should have fired him, no? He tried to run a defense based on Byrd that he couldn't get to work, and he admitted as much, no?