USA Today Ranks NFL Head Coaches

Personally, I do not think that Rex is very good. I think that the Bills have done a nice job on the personnel side. I would have the FO around the top ten. I would have the coaching bottom ten (and that is with getting a boost from Roman). Rex did less with more last year than any coach that I can remember. In addition, he is a horrible game manager.

Always toeing the company line... ;)

Edited by eball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I do not think that Rex is very good. I think that the Bills have done a nice job on the personnel side. I would have the FO around the top ten. I would have the coaching bottom ten (and that is with getting a boost from Roman). Rex did less with more last year than any coach that I can remember. In addition, he is a horrible game manager.

100%. Got your back if you need it when the FO haters attack. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Thurmanator

I agree - he is not a very good game manager. The KC game could have been won if he simply had someone in the booth checking replays.

I noted here many times during the season that MW was simply playing pattycake with the tackle in front of him. OK, fine. If we can see that, why didn't he get benched.

My brother , an ardent Jets fan, told me when we got RR that he goes very conservative at the end of the half & the end of the game defensively. I noticed this in a couple of games. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it shows to me a lack of confidence in his own scheme. I guess we'll see this year.

For me, nothing will top his answer as to why he didn't challenge calls in KC "because they didn't show it on the board." He'll have to do a lot to get me behind him after that one.

I haven't seen many comments on the rest of the list. Here goes nothing:

1. Why are Chip Kelly and Bill O'Brien ranked ahead of Gary Kubiak?

2. Why is Hue Jackson, a first year coach in effect ranked 18th, not down with the other guys who've just started?

3. Not sure that Arians deserves to be #3 ahead of guys who've accomplished alot more like McCarthy and Payton!

4. Same with Zimmer, ahead of Tomlin?

Edited by The Thurmanator

2. Why is Hue Jackson, a first year coach in effect ranked 18th, not down with the other guys who've just started?

3. Not sure that Arians deserves to be #3 ahead of guys who've accomplished alot more like McCarthy and Payton!

Hue has been a HC before with Oakland and did a pretty good job.

All seems pretty accurate. Sir Cheats-a-lot is number 1 and Mularkey is the worst. I would like to see Tomlin a little higher but not sure where. I might drop Zimmer to six and move Payton to four. Fisher gets slammed as needed. How does he still has a job?

All seems pretty accurate. Sir Cheats-a-lot is number 1 and Mularkey is the worst. I would like to see Tomlin a little higher but not sure where. I might drop Zimmer to six and move Payton to four. Fisher gets slammed as needed. How does he still has a job?

Fisher is close to breaking the all time record for losses I heard. :thumbdown:

Hue has been a HC before with Oakland and did a pretty good job.

Ok I see 8-8. For some reason I thought he had been an interim and only coached a few games. Thanks. Still think he's pretty high! :thumbsup:

It's really unusual to see a head coach do such an obviously awful job. And as you mentioned that was DESPITE hiring the best offensive coordinator he'd ever had......by a lot.

It was a shock........I was not a HUGE Rex fan after watching his team play dead in most of the 2014 season until showing up at the end to try to save themselves an extra minicamp engagement.......but I thought he had actually did a borderline "great" job with the 2013 Jets......actually getting a lot more production than that roster should have.

Edited by #BADOL

because lists are jokes.

arians is not that good.

USA Today recently ranked the NFL coaches

16. Rex Ryan, Bills

Ryan is known as a brilliant defensive mind, but he’s going to need a bounce back season to retain that title. He hasn’t produced a top-10 unit in three seasons, and he hasn’t led his team to a winning record since 2010.

@SInow

Time for Rex Ryan to rise above mediocrity, prove his worth with Bills (by @amy_parlapiano) http://on.si.com/1qLMb9B

CjZuxTWXEAA00Lh.jpg

with only two winning seasons he has to be lower

OOO says that's top half of the league!

NNN says lower half, HA!

RRR says lower middle

13 years with same system and no playoff wins

if certain idiots weren't morons last yr they beat Pittsburgh, just saying.

because lists are jokes.

arians is not that good.

:blink:

yeah he was horrible with Roethlisberger and Luck and resurrected Palmers Career.

I'd take him in a heart beat and is who we should have hired instead of Maroon and we probably would have Palmer too and be in the playoffs, which would of course be bad for this board.

with only two winning seasons he has to be lower

NNN says lower half, HA!

RRR says lower middle

if certain idiots weren't morons last yr they beat Pittsburgh, just saying.

im not saying Lewis isn't a good coach. But he's accountable for the fact those guys acted like idiots. His teams lack discipline and poise.

:blink:

yeah he was horrible with Roethlisberger and Luck and resurrected Palmers Career.

I'd take him in a heart beat and is who we should have hired instead of Maroon and we probably would have Palmer too and be in the playoffs, which would of course be bad for this board.

head coachis vastly different than positional or coordinator. And what's he ever won?

Agreed, well said.

With Rex it is always about Rex. Instead of taking the view of how best to utilize the players he has on hand his view is how do I get them to make my system work. This draft was dedicated to propping up Rex and making it work within the confines of his system. What worked before his arrival didn't work under him so it now is undergoing a deconstruction to accommodate him. Another example of our organization moving forward and then taking a step back to start all over again.

Roman is the antithesis to Rex. Look at how he handled Tyrod Taylor? He was aware of TT's limitations as an inexperienced qb and managed his limitations very smartly. The outcome was that he got as much production out of him as was possible. This season I'm confident that the playbook will be expanded and his responsibilities will be increased.

Roman also had a major deficiency on the OL, most evident on the right side. He managed that liability and still had one of the better running games in the league. My point is obvious: Good coaches manage their deficiencies and accentuate their strengths. Rex did the opposite.

I still shake my head at the Rex hiring and repeatingly say: WTF!