USA Today Ranks NFL Head Coaches

USA Today recently ranked the NFL coaches

By: Steven Ruiz

The NFL offseason is dragging along — we’ve made it to mini camps, people! — and while you may be bored, this is an important time of the year for NFL coaches. This is when they get to install new elements of their scheme and have more time to spend on coaching up the younger players. With that in mind, let’s rank all 32 head coaches, starting with the last coach you’d want helming your team…

16. Rex Ryan, Bills

Ryan is known as a brilliant defensive mind, but he’s going to need a bounce back season to retain that title. He hasn’t produced a top-10 unit in three seasons, and he hasn’t led his team to a winning record since 2010.

@SInow

Time for Rex Ryan to rise above mediocrity, prove his worth with Bills (by @amy_parlapiano) http://on.si.com/1qLMb9B

CjZuxTWXEAA00Lh.jpg
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how Marvin Lewis is ranked lower than Ryan. He has built a perennial playoff contender. Rex is higher by a few spots than I thought he would be.

They have had really good teams, but can't seem to get a playoff win under their belt in his time as HC.

Personally, I do not think that Rex is very good. I think that the Bills have done a nice job on the personnel side. I would have the FO around the top ten. I would have the coaching bottom ten (and that is with getting a boost from Roman). Rex did less with more last year than any coach that I can remember. In addition, he is a horrible game manager.

Personally, I do not think that Rex is very good. I think that the Bills have done a nice job on the personnel side. I would have the FO around the top ten. I would have the coaching bottom ten (and that is with getting a boost from Roman). Rex did less with more last year than any coach that I can remember. In addition, he is a horrible game manager.

Yep.

And a lot of that applies to Marvin Lewis too. The Bengals FO has built a very good team that is being very averagely coached.

Most of these NFL HCs are pretty bad in the area of game management from my observations.

Not sure how Marvin Lewis is ranked lower than Ryan. He has built a perennial playoff contender. Rex is higher by a few spots than I thought he would be.

They have had really good teams, but can't seem to get a playoff win under their belt in his time as HC.

13 years with same system and no playoff wins

Post Season Records:

Rex Ryan: 4-2

Marvin Lewis: 0-7

Yep.

And a lot of that applies to Marvin Lewis too. The Bengals FO has built a very good team that is being very averagely coached.

I think that this is very fair. Their talent, top to bottom, stacks up with anyone in the AFC, yet they never win a playoff game.

The people who do these lists take way too much account of past performance. Rex had his day and has been living off his success for years. He hasn't done anything of note lately and seems unable or unwilling to change his scheme. I would put him in the bottom third at best.

agreed.

13 years with same system and no playoff wins

too true.

It's interesting to see Mike Mularkey dead last at #32.

Things could be worse!

and boy they panned him, too