Doug Whaley comments going viral

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lady who stuck a hot cup of coffee between her legs at mcdonalds and then won 2.9 million dollars.

Ha ha, I was waiting for somebody to take this bait and you stepped right up. Coach Tuesday has already responded appropriately -- this was anything but a frivolous suit and if you bothered to actually research it you might learn something.

Ha ha, I was waiting for somebody to take this bait and you stepped right up. Coach Tuesday has already responded appropriately -- this was anything but a frivolous suit and if you bothered to actually research it you might learn something.

The verdict was upheld, and the judge called McDonalds' actions "callous." But, you know, facts...

The verdict was upheld, and the judge called McDonalds' actions "callous." But, you know, facts...

And by the way, the woman (who is now deceased) did not receive the full amount of the verdict...it was reduced by a percentage for her comparative negligence, and then further settled out of court.

If I recall, the amount of the verdict was so high because the jury decided McD's needed to be punished for their actions (they were that bad) and decided to award one day's worth of coffee sales.

OMG! We're losing the PR Super Bowl!

I saw Around the Horn and PTI and neither show made much of the comments. In fact two panelists agreed with Whaley's comments. Oh the horror.

You know what this story will be in two days? Forgotten.

It's a pretty big deal for an NFL GM to say something like that.

It's like an executive of Papa John's making a public statement "I personally don't think humans are supposed to eat pizza. Oh by the way, keep eating pizza you fat suckers."

It's not only bad for the brand, but it makes Whaley look like a deplorable person for willingly continuing to make his living signing players on to participate in a sport that he believes "human beings aren't supposed to play" because it's so hazardous to their long-term health.

It's one more example in a list of many of Whaley making himself look extremely unintelligent and unqualified for the position he currently holds.

I'll get skewered by some locals for this, but Tim Horton's needs to lower their coffee temperature. It's literally undrinkable for something close to a half-hour after ordering on account of temperature.

Funny you mention Tim Horton's because that's exactly where I was thinking. But not their coffee. When I take my kids there we need to literally sit and wait at least 15 minutes blowing on their mac-n-cheese before they're able to eat it. It's as if they take it directly from the fiery pits of hell. No idea if they have *CAUTION: HOT* labeled on the container.

It's a pretty big deal for an NFL GM to say something like that.

It's like an executive of Papa John's making a public statement "I personally don't think humans are supposed to eat pizza. Oh by the way, keep eating pizza you fat suckers."

It's not only bad for the brand, but it makes Whaley look like a deplorable person for willingly continuing to make his living signing players on to participate in a sport that he believes "human beings aren't supposed to play" because it's so hazardous to their long-term health.

It's one more example in a list of many of Whaley making himself look extremely unintelligent and unqualified for the position he currently holds.

Funny you mention Tim Horton's because that's exactly where I was thinking. But not their coffee. When I take my kids there we need to literally sit and wait at least 15 minutes blowing on their mac-n-cheese before they're able to eat it. It's as if they take it directly from the fiery pits of hell. No idea if they have *CAUTION: HOT* labeled on the container.

It's not a "look"...

It was basically boiling. And McDonald's has since drastically lowered the temp. But it's fine if you don't care, you seem to know everything you need to know in life.

Not performing up to pretty much everyone's expectations except yours.

I expect Doug to find talent. Most rational observers feel he excels at that job. Some who revel in misfortune seem to bend over backwards looking for excuses to point fingers.

It's not a "look"...

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. There are multiple intelligences and maybe Whaley is a smart guy who is just terrible at speaking.

But considering he's a General Manager of an NFL team and public speaking is part of his job, it's a really bad "look."

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Not really. Since Whaley has a history of misusing words in his statements, it will be an easy defense to show that this was a characteristic misspeak.

Of course the PR damage has been done, and the meme will go on, but this is negligible from a legal standpoint.

in the grand scheme its less legally damning than a lot of things the nfl has spent millions on and hours of planning with the best legal teams.

Could you please explain "challenged"

He does appear to not be a comfortable public speaker......but in the realm of football he is pretty good at his job.

Verbally challenged.

Even ignoring that aspect of his position - the jury is still out on whether or not he's "pretty good at his job."

The longer we wait for this team to accomplish something real as we see Whaley going viral over stupid statements, the hotter Whaley's seat gets.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

You should care if you are a Bills fan. One more example of our challenged GM putting his foot in his mouth.

I'm a Bills fan and couldn't care less.....I'm waiting for the actual games to start....off-season discussions are usually a waste of time....like this one

Verbally challenged.

Even ignoring that aspect of his position - the jury is still out on whether or not he's "pretty good at his job."

The longer we wait for this team to accomplish something real and the more often we see Whaley going viral over stupid statements, the hotter Whaley's seat gets.

If you put him transaction per transaction with his peers......in the football area yes Whaley does look to be pretty good at his job.

The teams wins and losses should not come into that equation....his job is to find talent....Rex Ryan was not Whaley's hire....it was the owners.....