Doug Whaley comments going viral

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we know for sure that is the GM's fault? It isnt ownership along the way? Demographics?

And......as with every single time someone presents their arguement this way......while it may seem like one long beating to a bills fan....it really is not.....time starts and stops with each new GM.

Ok, so Whaley has been the GM for 3 years and the assistant GM for 2 more. So he's responsible for about 1/3 of our failure.

Because their job is to foment sensationalism.

Because it's been sensationalized to the point of absurdity, but absurdity far-reaching enough that it required a response.

I'd caution you to gauge something's importance based on whether or not Stephen A. Smith says it's a big deal

Do you really think the NFL is that innocent that it doesn't deserve to be sued for the neglect that occurs to humans for the "sport of it". They are in litigation for this and a high ranking member of 1/32 teams just came out and basically said yes the NFL is very dangerous to human beings that maybe they shouldn't be playing the sport. This statement made regular news stations too, it isn't just sensationalism. Your ability not to be able to grasp this point shows that you think this is just fun and games! Talk to Darryl Talley and Thurman Thomas about how devastating football was to them, even though they still love it. This is news and that statement will be used in court!

What Doug Whaley said was the absolute truth. Unfortunately the absolute truth is bad for business, the business of the NFL owners and NFL. It's a pretty basic understanding that guys running at speeds of up to 20mph who are 200lb plus pounds of muscle is a recipe for disaster. The fanatic side of people don't want to believe it but simply he's spot on.

Ok, so Whaley has been the GM for 3 years and the assistant GM for 2 more. So he's responsible for about 1/3 of our failure.

If you really want to nit pick, Bills win pct since he's been GM: .479 vs. the rest of the playoff drought: .394

Do you really think the NFL is that innocent that it doesn't deserve to be sued for the neglect that occurs to humans for the "sport of it". They are in litigation for this and a high ranking member of 1/32 teams just came out and basically said yes the NFL is very dangerous to human beings that maybe they shouldn't be playing the sport. This statement made regular news stations too, it isn't just sensationalism. Your ability not to be able to grasp this point shows that you think this is just fun and games! Talk to Darryl Talley and Thurman Thomas about how devastating football was to them, even though they still love it. This is news and that statement will be used in court!

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain how this will be used in court. Please be the first.

What Doug Whaley said was the absolute truth. Unfortunately the absolute truth is bad for business, the business of the NFL owners and NFL. It's a pretty basic understanding that guys running at speeds of up to 20mph who are 200lb plus pounds of muscle is a recipe for disaster. The fanatic side of people don't want to believe it but simply he's spot on.

Whaley works for the NFL and said "I personally believe humans shouldn't play football." When an NFL representative states something like that, it upsets people who think more should be done on the NFL's part to change the game in order to improve the safety of it as opposed to denying and covering up the truth.

It's not what Whaley said that bothers people. Rather, it's the hypocrisy of it.

If Whaley had said "I don't think humans should play football as it is today, and I'm devoting my life to changing the sport for the better." then people would be applauding him. But that's not what he said nor meant.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

You aren't grasping what Whaley actually said, and latching onto "humans shouldn't play football" which also isn't even an accurate quote. People are being so ignorant about this and ignoring his point to make retarded jokes like "well Whaley would be out of a job if we didn't play football".

The actual quote in context for the 100th time:

"If you look at his game log, he's only missed three games. So, is he injury-prone? I wouldn't say that," Whaley said during the interview when asked about the foot injury Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins sustained during the offseason. "Are things going to come up with a guy like this? We hope that gets limited in the future."

"This is the game of football," Whaley added. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play. And these things are going to come up.

"But we trust in our medical staff and we trust in each individual athlete to do what they have to do to get back on the field."

He very clearly meant humans aren't supposed to be colliding into each other, and when they do it will result in injuries but we trust in our medical staff, and the athlete to get themselves back onto the field. He is a god damn NFL GM, if you really think he meant humans "shouldn't" be playing football, and the NFL should close up shop, you need to take a closer look at the quote, or you are the media who is cashing in on this clear and purposeful misinterpretation of his words.

Edited by What a Tuel

It is a profound statement of culpability that has legal implications for the NFL. The GM is privy to legal representation of this team in court. If something happens he is called into court with the lawyers. He helps maintain the rules of safety representing 1/32 NFL franchises. He is the director of scouting that convinces human beings to join their franchise. This was a BIG mistake, not something just misspoken.

You aren't grasping what Whaley actually said, and latching onto "humans shouldn't play football" which also isn't even an accurate quote. People are being so ignorant about this and ignoring his point to make retarded jokes like "well Whaley would be out of a job if we didn't play football".

The actual quote in context for the 100th time:

He very clearly meant humans aren't supposed to be colliding into each other, and when they do it will result in injuries but we trust in our medical staff, and the athlete to get themselves back onto the field. He is a god damn NFL GM, if you really think he meant humans "shouldn't" be playing football, and the NFL should close up shop, you need to take a closer look at the quote, or you are the media who is cashing in on this clear and purposeful misinterpretation of his words.

People also seem to be glossing straight over the fact that Whaley "PERSONALLY" played the sport himself. At the University of Pittsburgh.

It is a profound statement of culpability that has legal implications for the NFL. The GM is privy to legal representation of this team in court. If something happens he is called into court with the lawyers. He helps maintain the rules of safety representing 1/32 NFL franchises. He is the director of scouting that convinces human beings to join their franchise. This was a BIG mistake, not something just misspoken.

:doh:

WHAT ARE THE LEGAL IMPLICATIONS!?

Seriously. Please explain how this is a unique reveal, such that LEGAL disruption is warranted. Please, please, please, please SOMEBODY substantiate this entirely empty claim that has been repeated damn near a dozen times in this thread for affect.

??

Whaley works for the NFL and said "I personally believe humans shouldn't play football." When an NFL representative states something like that, it upsets people who think more should be done on the NFL's part to change the game in order to improve the safety of it as opposed to denying and covering up the truth.

It's not what Whaley said that bothers people. Rather, it's the hypocrisy of it.

If Whaley had said "I don't think humans should play football as it is today, and I'm devoting my life to changing the sport for the better." then people would be applauding him. But that's not what he said nor meant.

I somewhat understand what you're saying but Doug Whaley works for Bills. Terry and Kim Pegula write Doug Whaley's check. I don't really see the hypocrisy of anything to be honest. I really just see him being overly honest and blunt.

Wouldn't the thousands of surgeries that have taken place be called into question to determine the safety of football before Whaley saying it is a violent game?

Wouldn't the thousands of surgeries that have taken place be called into question to determine the safety of football before Whaley saying it is a violent game?

The list of things said/done prior to this as an admission of the game's safety (or lack thereof) is virtually endless. No "legal implications" exist because there's NOTHING new about what he said that could spawn legal action.

I believe that if that was the case then every GM for every team would have to brought in as well. Not to mention from prior years. We're getting way ahead of ourselves. The league has already acknowledged the fact that they have made the mistake of not protecting their players, that's why they are paying out money in a settlement to a large number of players. This statement doesn't have legal ramifications because they have already been implemented by the SCOTUS and NFLPA to the NFL.

WHAT ARE THE LEGAL IMPLICATIONS!?

Seriously. Please explain how this is a unique reveal, such that LEGAL disruption is warranted. Please, please, please, please SOMEBODY substantiate this entirely empty claim that has been repeated damn near a dozen times in this thread for affect.

Like I said, talk to Darryl Talley, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Joe Dellamaure, Fred Smerlas, Shane Nelson, Keith Everett. Look at Kent Hull's untimely death, Jr Seau's. The NFL is being sued! What do you not get about how dangerous this sport is and how little the NFL has done to fix this until recently. I love the game but that doesn't mean that maybe it should do more to stop life altering changes to human beings. I guarantee you it was Roger Goodell who made Whaley back track his statement today. He broke the NFL Integrity Rule by implicating the NFL to his own moral feelings about humans playing the sport of football. I am willing to bet the NFL will take action!

I believe that if that was the case then every GM for every team would have to brought in as well. Not to mention from prior years. We're getting way ahead of ourselves. The league has already acknowledged the fact that they have made the mistake of not protecting their players, that's why they are paying out money in a settlement to a large number of players. This statement doesn't have legal ramifications because they have already been implemented by the SCOTUS and NFLPA to the NFL.

Exactly. The fact that the "legal" side of this has been hammered to mush by fans clawing for a reason why this would be significant does not suddenly make it so.