Doug Whaley comments going viral

Those of you who think this is a non-story are misguided. Executives of NFL teams probably should not be yapping about how football isn't meant for humankind. Coupled with the fact that Whaley is a young GM already on the hot seat, for whom his owner has already looked for a Czar/Babysitter to oversee, this can't be helpful to his career.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the guy meant was it's unnatural for humans to be purposely and continuously smashing into each other at high velocity. It's been said a thousand different times before. One thing yesterday showed me was who the real journalists are, are who the thin-skinned butt-hurt, unimaginative whiny bitches are. I wish they would take their pens and go home.

Here, here. Not just journalists, but re-re-re-re-re-re-re-confirming who the over-reactive posters here are too.

Those of you who think this is a non-story are misguided. Executives of NFL teams probably should not be yapping about how football isn't meant for humankind. Coupled with the fact that Whaley is a young GM already on the hot seat, for whom his owner has already looked for a Czar/Babysitter to oversee, this can't be helpful to his career.

Those who are incapable of understanding that words belong in their proper context are misguided.

This is a complete non-story and it is only because we are still in the relatively quiet part of the off-season that anyone is paying attention. Frankly, it is a nonsense.

All the guy meant was it's unnatural for humans to be purposely and continuously smashing into each other at high velocity. It's been said a thousand different times before. One thing yesterday showed me was who the real journalists are, and who the thin-skinned butt-hurt, unimaginative whiny bitches are. I wish they would take their pens and go home.

How any poster or 'journalist' has a problem with this is beyond me.

He's an idiot.

no he's not. It was a comment completely taken out of context.

The man was merely pointing out how brutal the game really is

LOL... you're letting personal bias cloud your opinion

Nobody pretends Doug knows his way around a microphone. He does not. I've said as much here several times.

But I believe you are drastically overstating the consequences of what he said. Used in court how? To demonstrate what?

Again, do you think Mr. Pegula is happy about these comments, which btw are now the talk of Sirius Radio? He left the door WIDE open for civil suits.

Also on Sirius, they are talking about how he declared 3 rookies to be "starters" even before training camp. This probably wasn't very motivational to the other players, right, or is this me being petty?

On TSW, we are talking about him knowingly drafting an injured player in round one.

Darby WAS a great draft selection ya know, but Whaley is causing harm to the team that just might take time to undo. The stupidity is pushing any positive moves to the side, or so I think.

Of course, the above is nothing more than my opinion. I am sure that many here think Whaley is great. If we win football games, I will be one of them.

So you think that Mr. Pegula or Roger Goodell don't care that Whaley said this?

I think they don't care. They're smart enough people to understand Whaley was talking about this in the context of injuries and what the body goes through playing football.

Come on, Bill. Whaley isn't the most polished public speaking but who cares; there aren't going to be lawyers lined up at the courthouse filing complaints today because of what he said. That's preposterous.

A party admission?

Umm, sure, and all of the players also voluntarily assume the risk of injury when they sign their contracts.

So you think that Mr. Pegula or Roger Goodell don't care that Whaley said this?

Of course they care. It's another PR disaster for them. But that doesn't mean it will make a good legal argument in court.

No, I dont think they care. And please answer Gunner's question.

Look, I am not trying to define right and wrong. But, if a player is seriously injured (which is bound to happen), I think he can go right into court and sue. Will he win? Maybe not but it would cost Pegs money to defend himself, no? Or, he could win. Frivolous lawsuits don't always lose, ya know?

And, I politely and respectfully disagree. I think that both Pegs and Goodell would prefer it if he had simply kept his mouth shut. Again, this is jmo.

PS: Do you think Saban would do something like this? ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

Look, I am not trying to define right and wrong. But, if a player is seriously injured (which is bound to happen), I think he can go right into court and sue. Will he win? Maybe not but it would cost Pegs money to defend himself, no? Or, he could win. Frivolous lawsuits don't always lose, ya know?

And, I politely and respectfully disagree. I think that both Pegs and Goodell would prefer it if he had simply kept his mouth shut. Again, this is jmo.

This comment is gold. Please enlighten me on all of the frivolous lawsuits you are aware of that have prevailed -- but I hope you have all of the facts and legal arguments researched before you claim a result was "frivolous."

All DW needs to do is own up to a PR gaffe. He just explains that he meant it in the context of injuries in football. Much like jumping out of an airplane, banging heads and getting hurt is an unnatural act. Didn't mean football shouldn't exist.

Where he aired, is the world we live in has people just looking to find ways to spin errors of a small magnitude against you.

Is anybody really surprised that ESPN and the NFL media want to attack the Bills? I'm not. Or, that some on here hate DW, think he's dumb and incompetent, and personally attack him at any chance.

Is that OK to say Mods or am I one of the ones not allowed to say this?

Nothing has changed, Bills win 9-10 games and make playoffs, and this matters? Methinks not.

Edited by The Thurmanator

Fair enough, as long as you understand that you we are merely guessing at the emotions of some very smart (and incredibly busy) business people who we do not know, regarding a full and reasonable quote (not the small bit taken completely out of context).

I can agree that Goodell would most likely prefer that the entire quote was never said, but I dont think it is more than a very small blip on their radar today.

JMO :thumbsup:

He has released another qualifying statement:

"What I actually meant to say is that all humans are cleared to play football by our medical staff. I have complete confidence in that staff. Everyone will be a day one starter. No if something were to happen....."

"We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia."