5-24: Doug Whaley on WGR

5-24: DOUG WHALEY TALKS LAWSON INJURY ON WGR (13:15)

Bills GM Doug Whaley on WGR NOW

Whaley on Shaq Lawson: "Right now there isn't a timetable...it's safe to say he will miss the early part of the season"

Whaley says Bills knew about Lawson's shoulder injury, but were concerned about "another flare up" during the year

Whaley says Lawson could have played through shoulder injury but wanted to be "proactive"

Whaley: "We looked at the macro instead of the micro"

Whaley on Watkins injury affecting Tyrod Taylor: "Is it going to be a detriment to their growth as a duo? I don't think so"

Whaley says the Bills will wait to see how the roster looks before reaching out to free agents like Bolden/Freeney

On Gilmore: "if we put a value on Stephon, but it hinders us from doing something down the road, you have to adjust your value"

@JeremyWGR

Doug Whaley says rookie camp injury to Lawson could have been rehabbed to return in short term, but team opted for long term, complete fix.

@MatthewFairburn

Doug Whaley said he would be disappointed if 2014 second round pick Cyrus Kouandjio couldn't win the RT job in year three.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd statement

From the standpoint of the extreme forces exerted on the human body it makes sense, but I'm surprised that he said that.

@TyDunne

What does Rex think about Doug Whaley saying "humans aren't supposed to play" football? "I love the game. I think it's the greatest sport."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I mean..... I don't think humans were "meant" to do a lot of the things we do, but we do them anyway. Doug played football and has made his career in it off of the playing field so I'm fairly certain he isn't trashing the game. The bobble-heads will run with anything.

I mean..... I don't think humans were "meant" to do a lot of the things we do, but we do them anyway. Doug played football and has made his career in it off of the playing field so I'm fairly certain he isn't trashing the game. The bobble-heads will run with anything.

It was a throwaway line where he was making a larger point. No big deal IMO, but obviously some are going to make an issue of it.

Maybe there's more to this recent Carrucci quote:

"General Manager Doug Whaley -- who chooses every word he speaks to the media as if it's a potential boomerang that will return to knock him in the back of the head..."

I honestly cannot believe a NFL franchise has a GM who says this. You don't need to be a PR expert to know that making this statement when the league is involved in litigation over concussions is not beneficial. :doh:

This guy needs to take media training

Yeah, I think he does. I think the media gets to him sometimes. In the post draft interview with Rex and him, someone was asking a question to Rex, and Whaley was watching the draft on the tv to the side and he frowned, but then felt the need to explain to the media that he was frowning because teams were drafting guys he wanted as free agents, and not about what Rex was saying "just so they know".

Found it in the below link at the end starting at 25:30

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Whaley-and-Rex-Recap-the-2016-Draft-Class/8268859d-97ff-4bc3-bac1-70015c237c28

Just awkward, but I'll take it as long as he keeps it up as a good GM.

Maybe there's more to this recent Carrucci quote:

"General Manager Doug Whaley -- who chooses every word he speaks to the media as if it's a potential boomerang that will return to knock him in the back of the head..."

I honestly cannot believe a NFL franchise has a GM who says this. You don't need to be a PR expert to know that making this statement when the league is involved in litigation over concussions is not beneficial. :doh:

"If you look at his game log, he's only missed three games. So is he injury-prone? I wouldn't say that," Whaley said during the interview when asked about the foot injury Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins sustained during the offseason. "Are things going to come up with a guy like this? We hope that gets limited in the future."

Then he kept going when it probably would have been a better idea for him to stop.

"This is the game of football," Whaley added. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play. And these things are going to come up."

"But we trust in our medical staff and we trust in each individual athlete to do what they have to do to get back on the field."

It was a throwaway line where he was making a larger point. No big deal IMO, but obviously some are going to make an issue of it.

Especially some media magnates feeling cranky that they're no longer allowed to simply periscope OTAs, count incomplete passes and then eat and drink on the Bills' dime.

Edited by jimmy10

Holy hell, people are running with *that* line?

Seriously, we're 'supposed' to do things like forage and light hunting, and that's about it... football? Not so much. The statement makes perfect sense, but hey, offseason. Lets have an outrage party.

Edited by Dorkington