5-24: Doug Whaley on WGR

At least someone gets that the whole thing is a dredged up non story from a throwaway line by Whaley.

Yeah, really. It's like that time the cigarette executive came out and said humans weren't meant to smoke cigarettes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a complete misinterpretation of the intent which is the human body isn't designed to sustain the extreme forces that are inherent to playing football at the NFL level and therefore players will get injured. Nothing more and nothing less.

Not at all. If he doesn't want to take heat for such a statement then he should either quit is job or do everything in his power to change the way the game is played to make it safer. Until then, making a public statement like that will go viral in a negative fashion.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Yeah, really. It's like that time the cigarette executive came out and said humans weren't meant to smoke cigarettes.

Except for the fact that the tobacco industry lied about the cancerous effects and addictive properties of their products, but it's obvious that playing football will inherently result in injuries.

Sorry, but not a good analogy.

@BuffaloBillsPR

Statement from @buffalobills GM Doug Whaley:

CjUReBbWYAEU_4l.jpg

Except for the fact that the tobacco industry lied about the cancerous effects and addictive properties of their products, but it's obvious that playing football will inherently result in injuries.

You missed the sarcasm. Obviously a tobacco exec would never be foolish enough to say the obvious.

And you also have missed the years long "scandal" of the NFL "hiding the effects" of concussions on players.

@BuffaloBillsPR

Statement from @buffalobills GM Doug Whaley:

CjUReBbWYAEU_4l.jpg

Lets see how many bilsl "fans" now crucify him for actually making a statement.

You missed the sarcasm. Obviously a tobacco exec would never be foolish enough to say the obvious.

And you also have missed the years long "scandal" of the NFL "hiding the effects" of concussions on players.

Missed your sarcasm. Excuse the broken meter. But I definitely did not miss the NFL downplaying the concussive effects of playing football. I think they have been guilty as hell in that respect and are getting off pretty easily with the settlement.

Lets see how many bilsl "fans" now crucify him for actually making a statement.

His point was obvious all along and it's not exactly breaking news that it is the nature of the business that players are going to sustain injuries.

@BrentAxeMedia

I think most understood what Doug Whaley meant to say with the "humans" comment. But in the media world today, that's what can happen.

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Brent Axe

Totally. No room for nuance and context anymore, it seems.

It's not as if Whaley were vague. He LITERALLY SAID "I personally don't think humans are supposed to play (football)."

An absolutely ridiculous statement for a General Manger of a National Football League team to make.

It's not as if Whaley were vague. He LITERALLY SAID "I personally don't think humans are supposed to play (football)."

An absolutely ridiculous statement for a General Manger of a National Football League team to make.

Is that all he said? No. How about reading the entire comment and putting it in the context of the point he was making? Is that too much to ask?

Is that all he said? No. How about reading the entire comment and putting it in the context of the point he was making? Is that too much to ask?

That's literally what he said. You can try to spin it as much as you want. There's no missing context in the statement "I personally don't think humans are supposed to play (football)." He said what he said and it cannot be denied.

because it hurts his agenda

Riiiiiiiiight.

That's literally what he said. You can try to spin it as much as you want. There's no missing context in the statement "I personally don't think humans are supposed to play (football)." He said what he said and it cannot be denied.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Are you really that literal with no ability to read and interpret the entirety of the statement to understand what the larger point was?

"This is the game of football," Whaley added. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play. And these things are going to come up."

"But we trust in our medical staff and we trust in each individual athlete to do what they have to do to get back on the field."

LOL. The context comes from what was said around the statement. But I'm sure you knew that. ;)

@RyanTalbotBills

It's ridiculous, but Doug Whaley released a statement on a comment he made Tuesday. http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1672787-whaley-i-used-poor-choice-of-words

Whaley didn't say anything wrong with his initial comment on Tuesday, but you have to wonder if he was asked by the league to release a statement on his original comment.