2/3 of US would struggle to cover $1,000 crisis

Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense

• Yes
    • No

People like you are confussing stereotypes aka trailer trash with reality. There are plenty of people like that, but until you live on minimum wage and try to save $20 a week you have no clue. You can only work so much until you fail at one of your jobs. Everyone has limits. The arguement is pointless. How much do you think rent costs? Sure there are people who do waste on alcohol,drugs,phones etc but they're also SMART/HARD WORKING people who waste not yet can hardly survive. I'm glad that some of you guys are blessed with high wages, yet lack the class to be humble/thankful. Some people do lack drive and ambition. Others are dealt different cards in life. Someone has to fill low paying jobs as well. They should at least pay enough for people to survive emergencies. I was making the arguement in a previous post about the "choices" we make. A poster claimed a high school diploma with ambition and no out of wedlock children equals success. In a world where college is crucial, that is a ridiculous statement. I was told it's ones fault they don't get an education. That may be true in many cases, but to make that a blanket statement is nothing short of ignorant. Life doesn't always allow everything for everyone. It doesn't make them lazy or dumb. PS I don't understand why all of guys who claim to be successful are so bitter and angry about all the supposed failures out there. Just be happy you're doing good.

Yeah what the !@#$ do we know. We were all born into our high paying jobs. We have no idea what's it's like to work low paying jobs. I was always Chef Jim. Never sauté cook or grill cook Jim.

In Buffalo, and including school, about 100 hrs/wk.

Slacker.

And you were probably one of those lucky guys that got paid by the hour.

Edited by Chef Jim

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah what the !@#$ do we know. We were all born into our high paying jobs. We have no idea what's it's like to work low paying jobs. I was always Chef Jim. Never sauté cook or grill cook Jim.

Slacker.

And you were probably one of those lucky guys that got paid by the hour.

You didn't do that, someone else made that happen.

You have to remember that the millennial generation believes that it's considered a "Privilege" to have an adult actually parent a kid. Someone told me that I was incredibly lucky to have a dad to teach me how to drive a car.

You didn't do that, someone else made that happen.

You have to remember that the millennial generation believes that it's considered a "Privilege" to have an adult actually parent a kid. Someone told me that I was incredibly lucky to have a dad to teach me how to drive a car.

Don't downplay it, you might be lucky that it wasn't your mother teaching you. :bag:

Fail at a minimum wage job?

Interesting.

Yes of course I did. I'm not as smart as any of guys who like to humble brag about how succesful you are. Actually I know people who lost both parents and missed the opportunity to go to college. Without college they will never earn what it takes to live. Just my opinion. Why are you guys all so miserable when you say you are all so well to do? The lack of class is amazing. I guess none of guys have any chance of ever losing your job either. Even a doctor can lose it in hearbeat from something like a frivolous lawsuit, but in your sugar coated worlds that doesn't happen.

Yes of course I did. I'm not as smart as any of guys who like to humble brag about how succesful you are. Actually I know people who lost both parents and missed the opportunity to go to college. Without college they will never earn what it takes to live. Just my opinion. Why are you guys all so miserable when you say you are all so well to do? The lack of class is amazing. I guess none of guys have any chance of ever losing your job either. Even a doctor can lose it in hearbeat from something like a frivolous lawsuit, but in your sugar coated worlds that doesn't happen.

I've lost more jobs than I imagine you've ever had. I'm sorry your friends couldn't go to college because they lost their parents however there are ways around that. Too bad the parents didn't know how to protect their family.

Quit your whining. Life is hard and in my mind and at my age is what's made it fun!

College never has guaranteed success and the lack of it has never destined someone to "never earn what it takes to live". Who's miserable? Face it, you just don't like people who say it like it is. With few exceptions, one gets out of life what they put into it. I've been up big time and down big time, but I never blamed anyone else for my situation. You have a lot to learn, pilgrim.

College never has guaranteed success and the lack of it has never destined someone to "never earn what it takes to live". Who's miserable? Face it, you just don't like people who say it like it is. With few exceptions, one gets out of life what they put into it. I've been up big time and down big time, but I never blamed anyone else for my situation. You have a lot to learn, pilgrim.

Everyone who doesn't make good money is a loser who didn't try hard. You guys are right. I give up. It's all an OPINON we have different beliefs. I'm not necessarily right and you're not necessarily wrong. You are all very insecure people if you need recognition that you worked hard to get where you're at. I'm sure you have, but not everyone succeeds. Not everyone can. I NEVER blamed anyone for any situations either. I've been up and down too. Don't try to act like you know me. I don't have a lot to learn. I just don't agree with you all. BTW some sort of education is crucial. Try making much over minimum wage with just a high school diploma. It's a fact. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Everyone who doesn't make good money is a loser who didn't try hard. You guys are right. I give up. It's all an OPINON we have different beliefs. I'm not necessarily right and you're not necessarily wrong. You are all very insecure people if you need recognition that you worked hard to get where you're at. I'm sure you have, but not everyone succeeds. Not everyone can. I NEVER blamed anyone for any situations either. I've been up and down too. Don't try to act like you know me. I don't have a lot to learn. I just don't agree with you all. BTW some sort of education is crucial. Try making much over minimum wage with just a high school diploma. It's a fact.

No, I'm most certainly right and you have a loser's mindset. Besides that, your reading comprehension sucks.

Everyone who doesn't make good money is a loser who didn't try hard. You guys are right. I give up. It's all an OPINON we have different beliefs. I'm not necessarily right and you're not necessarily wrong. You are all very insecure people if you need recognition that you worked hard to get where you're at. I'm sure you have, but not everyone succeeds. Not everyone can. I NEVER blamed anyone for any situations either. I've been up and down too. Don't try to act like you know me. I don't have a lot to learn. I just don't agree with you all. BTW some sort of education is crucial. Try making much over minimum wage with just a high school diploma. It's a fact.

If you don't know anyone who is making more than minimum wage without a college diploma, then you're hanging out with idiots.

I am probably the only person in my circle of acquaintances that attended university right after high school. Two of them are head of their departments now; with a high school diploma. Some got their degrees paid for by employers after getting an entry level job. (including a few I had to convince to do it even though it was a free benefit).

I find it insulting that (liberal) universities now advertise that you need college to "learn how to think." And many people believe it.

we have a statistically improbable amount of Alec Baldwins at PPP

You NEVER blame someone for their situation? NEVER? Just as none of us blame everyone for their personal situation. Sometimes bad things happen and we understand that. You sound like the perfect result of higher education in this country. Do you have a fridge in your safe space? There are a lot of people making boatloads of money with just a high school education. I'm not here to say I make boatloads of money but I'm doing just fine with not much more than a high school education. Sure I have an associates degree in Culinary Arts and sure it opened a lot of doors for me when I did cook professionally. However I'm in a complete different career now and I did rise to the top pretty quickly. I'm not bragging I'm just pointing out that you're wrong regarding a lot of your assumptions about life and what it takes to succeed.

Back in my day we worked 100's of hours and paid all our bills on time and had 1000's saved up!

We never went out and tried to get laid and eat pizza at 2am like you loser punks!

Get em drive !

Life ain't fair for some. Lots of good people struggling, lot of schmucks are rolling in the dough.

Dad used to to work 40 hours a week while mom stayed home and money was fine. Now mom and dad both work full time and don't have ****. Pay those taxes !

Note that I did not say anything about individual people, just human nature in general. Note that I did not utter a word about character flaws. Note that the original point you tried to refute was that US welfare recipients have more income than 90% of the world's population. Note that this 90% is simply of the people alive today, when you look at this over time, the US poor are "richer" than 99+% of people who have ever lived, including ancient kings and queens. Note that the factories being closed were opened by capitalists in the first place. Note that trying to equalize incomes will result in the gradual stripping away of the incentive to excel which is such a big part of human nature. Note that it has done this in all of the communized world and the only ones who excel there are those in power and criminals....and these are often the same individuals.

:thumbsup:

Nope, not BS. It can be done, if you're not a spoiled brat and use a modicum of foresight in budgeting and work your ass off.

The fact that you couldn't manage it doesn't make me a liar. It makes you a liberal.

Liberal checking in, with a very balanced budget, and enough savings to cover emergencies. Not sure where this notion comes from that only conservatives/moderates can balance their budget.

That being said, I do believe in raising the federal minimum wage (not to $15 on a national level, but certainly in some areas), and I do believe there's certain predatory practices combined with lack of real life budgeting education in high school, privatized healthcare, and mandatory post secondary education, that puts a lot of people in 'impossible' financial situations in this country. At the same time, there's also a lot of people that, unfortunately, prioritize 'keeping up with the Joneses' over debt pay off and saving.

General financial problems in the US aren't just as simple as 'them damned liberals', or 'you're an idiot', imo. Each person has their own set of circumstances, some of them legitimately out of their control, some of them not. Too commonly can make a mistake out of ignorance, or have an unfortunate accident happen, and be financially burdened for a lifetime.

I was just making the point that their are plenty of people who are not compensated "fairly" yet they are not "lazy" or losers.

That's a useless argument because pretty much everyone would agree they are not compensated fairly. I spent most of my working life thinking I wasn't being fairly compensated. I spent the first six years complaining about it, then spent the rest of my life doing something about it.

Not to mention, regardless of what level of poverty you come from, there is opportunity to make things better. But you have to want it. You have to work for it. You have to seek it it out and ask. The biggest difference between those who do and those who don't is that those who do just want it enough to seek it out. Those who don't just expect it to be given to them. They're not hard to find. They're the one's interrupting everyone who is working to whine about a $15/hour minimum wage they don't deserve.

But what TTYT said is spot on: Stay in school, don't get pregnant, work your ass off. The more committed you are to your work, the faster you'll fly by the countless number of "those who don't."

That's a useless argument because pretty much everyone would agree they are not compensated fairly. I spent most of my working life thinking I wasn't being fairly compensated. I spent the first six years complaining about it, then spent the rest of my life doing something about it.

Not to mention, regardless of what level of poverty you come from, there is opportunity to make things better. But you have to want it. You have to work for it. You have to seek it it out and ask. The biggest difference between those who do and those who don't is that those who do just want it enough to seek it out. Those who don't just expect it to be given to them. They're not hard to find. They're the one's interrupting everyone who is working to whine about a $15/hour minimum wage they don't deserve.

But what TTYT said is spot on: Stay in school, don't get pregnant, work your ass off. The more committed you are to your work, the faster you'll fly by the countless number of "those who don't."

This completely. The only thing I'd add is that some people have a harder time and experience more setbacks. That may not be fair, but there is no amount of legislation or compassion that will ever change that, so it means those unlucky people need to keep trying, no matter how many times it takes. I've never met anyone who was successful right from the start. Perseverance is everything. If you allow yourself to become discouraged, you will never amount to anything.

In other words: people make choices.

Liberal checking in, with a very balanced budget, and enough savings to cover emergencies. Not sure where this notion comes from that only conservatives/moderates can balance their budget.

That being said, I do believe in raising the federal minimum wage (not to $15 on a national level, but certainly in some areas), and I do believe there's certain predatory practices combined with lack of real life budgeting education in high school, privatized healthcare, and mandatory post secondary education, that puts a lot of people in 'impossible' financial situations in this country. At the same time, there's also a lot of people that, unfortunately, prioritize 'keeping up with the Joneses' over debt pay off and saving.

General financial problems in the US aren't just as simple as 'them damned liberals', or 'you're an idiot', imo. Each person has their own set of circumstances, some of them legitimately out of their control, some of them not. Too commonly can make a mistake out of ignorance, or have an unfortunate accident happen, and be financially burdened for a lifetime.

It's all about priorities and decision making. We all know people that don't do well financially in life. Some don't really care and are comfortable in that existence. Nearly all that I know, however, simply make decisions every day that lead to a long term pattern of underachievement and virtually all of them are in denial of that or simply don't have the will to get up tomorrow with some determination and do what's necessary to make a difference.