2/3 of US would struggle to cover $1,000 crisis

Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense

• Yes
    • No

If you can accomplish these three things, you have an exceptional chance of not being poor in America:

1. Don't get pregnant out of wedlock

2. Graduate from high school

3. Get and keep a job

Sadly, it is getting more and more difficult for kids in the 14-18 year old range to meet any of those criteria. #sockingawaymoneyinmysimpleirabecausesocialsecuritywillbegone

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can accomplish these three things, you have an exceptional chance of not being poor in America:

1. Don't get pregnant out of wedlock

2. Graduate from high school

3. Get and keep a job

So you consider 20-25K a year good and not working poor? This's probably what you'll make without a college degree., if you don't have a specialized trade skill such as nursing, CDL license etc. I'm a young person who is considering going back to college to pursue a masters. I met all those criteria, and it hasn't served me very well. That being said I can tell this is a post I stand no chance of convincing anyone of anything I believe so I'll leave it at that. Things aren't the same as they were in you guys "day". Now days graduating high school arguably has little to no value unless it is leads to a college degree. A bachelors degeee essentially holds the same value that a high school diploma used to. Honestly the real problem with this argument is the definition of the word "poor". It's all relative. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Every person I see driving a big pick up truck that isn't using it for their job I consider a bad money manager

Every person I see smoking cigarettes I consider a bad money manager

And a whole bunch of other things people waste money on. Not surprising that people can't handle a $1000 bill

Every person I see who won't contribute to his 401k because "I didn't understand the pie charts" shouldn't be judging other people's money management.

Every person I see who won't contribute to his 401k because "I didn't understand the pie charts" shouldn't be judging other people's money management.

Oh, I manage my money just fine. About as well as you obfuscate. :thumbsup:

You are not that smart

Name a crisis that inexpensive. I guarantee you the only way it's a crisis is if you're a histrionic moron.

I would think a hot water tank, or emergency boiler repair, or a large hole in your roof....but those aren't really even emergencies as much as they are "inconveniences". The truth is, the article should have increased the amount of an "emergency" for inflation (say $20,000). I agree, $1,000 doesn't rise to the level of emergency when some guys could rack that up in dinner and entertainment in one 12 hour span.

So you consider 20-25K a year good and not working poor? This's probably what you'll make without a college degree., if you don't have a specialized trade skill such as nursing, CDL license etc. I'm a young person who is considering going back to college to pursue a masters. I met all those criteria, and it hasn't served me very well. That being said I can tell this is a post I stand no chance of convincing anyone of anything I believe so I'll leave it at that. Things aren't the same as they were in you guys "day". Now days graduating high school arguably has little to no value unless it is leads to a college degree. A bachelors degeee essentially holds the same value that a high school diploma used to. Honestly the real problem with this argument is the definition of the word "poor". It's all relative.

I consider 20-25k per year entry level pay for an unskilled worker with no experience fresh out of high school or college.

During that time, young people should be accumulating skills and experience, and living on a shoe-string budget. Sacrifices should be made to social life and living arrangements as necessary.

Once you have a few years in the labor force, you will be able to transition into better paying jobs or positions assuming a good work ethic and a desire for self improvement.

I consider 20-25k per year entry level pay for an unskilled worker with no experience fresh out of high school or college.

During that time, young people should be accumulating skills and experience, and living on a shoe-string budget. Sacrifices should be made to social life and living arrangements as necessary.

Once you have a few years in the labor force, you will be able to transition into better paying jobs or positions assuming a good work ethic and a desire for self improvement.

Without a degree those better paying jobs don't always come though. That's what older people fail to understand. I have an associates degree, and work as a case manager for those with mental illnesses. I love my career, but 25-30K is the highest potential. I don't want to move on to a new career, but I need to go back to school for a masters in counseling to make real money. The only other option is look into careers such as truck driving to earn real money. I have news for you. A lot of people earn 20-35k in careers that they actually enjoy, and want to be in. I've been in the workforce for ten years, but I guess even though you don't know me they won't pay me more because according to you my work ethic sucks. BTW I love the young people talk when you're only 39. Such an old wise man. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Without a degree those better paying jobs don't always come though. That's what older people fail to understand. I have an associates degree, and work as a case manager for those with mental illnesses. I love my career, but 25-30K is the highest potential. I don't want to move on to a new career, but I need to go back to school for a masters in counseling to make real money. I've been in the workforce for ten years, but I guess even though you don't know me they won't pay me more because according to you my work ethic sucks.

You chose to work in a field that doesn't offer much in the way of compensation, and you don't want to change fields...

Those are choices that you made.

You could have chosen to go into a field that offers much higher compensation, but you didn't. You could have chosen to change careers, but you didn't. You could have chosen to get your masters sooner, but you didn't.

The reality is that you are at fault for your compensation, because of choices you made.

You chose to work in a field that doesn't offer much in the way of compensation, and you don't want to change fields...

Those are choices that you made.

You could have chosen to go into a field that offers much higher compensation, but you didn't. You could have chosen to change careers, but you didn't. You could have chosen to get your masters sooner, but you didn't.

The reality is that you are at fault for your compensation, because of choices you made.

You're insufferable. I can't argue with you anymore. You are right, but my original goal was to help people and I do make enough to survive. That's all I care about. I was just making the point that their are plenty of people who are not compensated "fairly" yet they are not "lazy" or losers. Plus before you throw stones you have no idea about anyone's life situation. I'm not here to whine, and it's not you're business. People like you are everything I dislike about this forum. At least be respectful. I don't need a lecture from the wise old 39 year old. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

You're insufferable. I can't argue with you anymore. You are right, but my original goal was to help people and I do make enough to survive. That's all I care about. I was just making the point that their are plenty of people who are not compensated "fairly" yet they are not "lazy" or losers.

I'm insufferable because you refuse to take responsibility for your own life choices, and think you are entitled to more than the market dictates you are worth?

Again: you made choices.

Those choices are no one else's responsibility.

And I'm not arguing with you. I'm pointing out facts.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I'm insufferable because you refuse to take responsibility for your own life choices, and think you are entitled to more than the market dictates you are worth?

Again: you made choices.

Those choices are no one else's responsibility.

And I'm not arguing with you. I'm pointing out facts.

Yes but my problem with you is that you're putting words in my mouth. I never said I was entitled to more. I said that there are plenty of people who make in the 20-30K who don't have $1K laying around. That's not necessarily their fault. Someone has to fill all the positions in a capitalist society. If everyone went to school to

pursue the same good paying careers, there would be no open positions. Therefore people would be forced to take lower paying jobs. Not everyone can have a good paying job, the ebb and flow of capitalism depend on that fact. There is no need for socio economic Marxist conflict. I was just making the point that not everyone in lower pay ranges are worthless losers. I guess in your world everyone would be "smart" so we would have no nurses, policemen, or teachers. My dialect began with you when I responded to you saying " if you don't get pregnant, graduate high school, and hold a job you can't be poor in America". My response was that the definition of poor is relative. I think plenty of people probably feel they are close to being poor, even in careers those may have choose. I NEVER said I was entitled to more. You incited that. That's why I became confrontational towards your comments.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yes but my problem with you is that you're putting words in my mouth. I never said I was entitled to more. I said that there are plenty of people who make in the 20-30K who don't have $1K laying around. That's not necessarily their fault. Someone has to fill all the positions in a capitalist society. If everyone went to school to

pursue the same good paying careers, there would be no open positions. Therefore people would be forced to take lower paying jobs. Not everyone can have a good paying job, the ebb and flow of capitalism depend on that fact. There is no need for socio economic Marxist conflict. I was just making the point that not everyone in lower pay ranges are worthless losers. I guess in your world everyone would be "smart" so we would have no nurses, policemen, or teachers

You're claiming I said anyone was a loser, and I'm the one putting words in to your mouth?

The reality is that anyone who makes good decisions aimed at a hefty salary as a goal of their employment can do so.

Anyone who chooses to enter into careers that don't offer much in the way of compensation or mobility has no one to blame but themselves.

You're claiming I said anyone was a loser, and I'm the one putting words in to your mouth?

The reality is that anyone who makes good decisions aimed at a hefty salary as a goal of their employment can do so.

Anyone who chooses to enter into careers that don't offer much in the way of compensation or mobility has no one to blame but themselves.

Fair enough. You did not call anyone a "loser", but you still did falsley state that I claimed to be "entitled" to more. I guess I just think deeper into this than some people may. My point is that not everyone can pursue a high salary, and achieve that. If everyone pursues the same careers, they won't have openings. How many college graduates think they are pursuing the money, and find out they can't get a job? The answer is a lot of them. It's all over the news. Just because it may have worked out for you doesn't mean it works out that way for everyone. I don't know where you live. The economy varies greatly regionally in this country. Good luck finding any good paying jobs where I live. However, I know it's MY fault I don't want to leave my family. You would be right, but I'm not the only one. This entire post is about 2/3 of Americans struggling to cover a 1K crisis. Think about some of the economic situations in rural America, and certain states. Maybe many of those people have reasons for not leaving their home, but they're not going to earn much staying. Since you mentioned jobs and market value why didn't you choose to be an NFL player? My point is that we also all have different skill sets. Maybe some of us are great at a career that doesn't pay well. Maybe others excel at computers. and end up making millions. You do fail to take that into account as well. That might explain why some people enter into lower paying careers. If making good money is such a guarantee please do tell me a some careers that guarantee it? I'm not being remotely sarcastic. I would just like you to tell me since you say you can guarantee it with the right effort. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

This links to a chart citing the median income, by state: https://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20121101/bci_data/median_income_table.htm

The lowest single earner median income for any state is $35,505 in Mississippi.

If you aren't earning at least that much, it's because of personal choices you made.

FYI: I used the word "entitled" because you stated that individuals may not be being compensated "fairly".

This links to a chart citing the median income, by state: https://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20121101/bci_data/median_income_table.htm

The lowest single earner median income for any state is $35,505 in Mississippi.

If you aren't earning at least that much, it's because of personal choices you made.

FYI: I used the word "entitled" because you stated that individuals may not be being compensated "fairly".

The average police officers salary in Mississippi is 30K. So you're saying the state shouldn't have any police? That's their poor choice although in reality they should earn more. Therefore only someone with poor decision making abilities would take the job? It's not because it's something they might be skilled at, while say sitting in front of a computer isn't their talent. Certain skill sets earn more money, end of story. It's the way it is. Not everyone has the same talents. You need to tell me what careers guarantee at least $17 an hour in Mississippi. That what you need to earn 35K. Stats don't always tell the story. I'm going to leave it a this, why have candidates in Trump and Clinton who differing ideas on our economy. Clinton wants a higher minimum wage, and Trump advocates the return of American manufacturing. BOTH candidates acknowledge the fact that American people are losing in our new economy. Trump goes as far as to blame a lack of jobs for the number of alienated Americans. IMO this proves that good hard working educated people can still lose out today. If you are doing great I'm happy for you, but to simplify everything into being personal choice seems a little extreme to be. Especially at a time in our history when this issue has come to forefront with both the presidential candidates. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The average police officers salary in Mississippi is 30K. So you're saying the state shouldn't have any police? That's their poor choice although in reality they should earn more. Therefore only someone with poor decision making abilities would take the job? It's not because it's something they might be skilled at, while say sitting in front of a computer isn't their talent. Certain skill sets earn more money, end of story. It's the way it is. Not everyone has the same talents. You need to tell me what careers guarantee at least $17 an hour in Mississippi. That what you need to earn 35K. Stats don't always tell the story.

First, you'll need to explain to me why the decision to leave rural Mississippi isn't a choice.

Then you'll need to explain to me why you're using mean instead of median. (my hunch is that either you don't realize that median speaks to actual individuals, and reflects wage mobility, while mean is nothing more than a much less meaningful aggregate; or that you're trying to muddy the waters with less pertinent data)

Then you'll have to explain why anyone should be paid more than their market value bears out.

Finally, you'll have to explain why you believe that low wage skill sets are isolated rather than transferrable to other higher paying jobs.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

If you make $100K per year and can't set aside $1K then you can't manage your budget at all. You can live without cable, cell phones and eating out for the short period of time it would take to set $1K aside. Now giving up booze, hookers and gambling is a different issue but that can be discussed in another thread....

Thanks for keepin' it real. I look forward to the start of that thread. :D

Dumbasses, or poor.

If you're poor in this country it's likely due to dumbassery.

Oh, I manage my money just fine. About as well as you obfuscate. :thumbsup:

You are not that smart

Says the guy who leaves $12,500 in tax deductions on the table because pie charts are hard.