2/3 of US would struggle to cover $1,000 crisis

Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense

• Yes
    • No

bs. I made $6k/year as a research assistant in grad school. full tuition assistance including books. I was injured in the lab one night. no insurance (cuz it wasn't part of the assistantship and I couldn't afford it). it took many months to pay off the medical bills and finally get on an even keel. never had much to save even after they were paid off. perhaps you lived on ramen noodles and kept your room at 57 degrees and then lived an otherwise charmed existence.

Dumbasses and klutzes get no sympathy from me. :D

From the article:

Mitchell Timme, 26, said that his wages have remained flat for the last few years while his cost of living has increased. Once everything is paid "there's nothing left to save," he said.

Looks like according to the picture in the article Mitch ole boy was able to afford himself a nice Apple laptop. :thumbsup:

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumbasses and klutzes get no sympathy from me. :D

From the article:

Mitchell Timme, 26, said that his wages have remained flat for the last few years while his cost of living has increased. Once everything is paid "there's nothing left to save," he said.

Looks like according to the picture in the article Mitch ole boy was able to afford himself a nice Apple laptop. :thumbsup:

no one gets any sympathy from you. you should hope karma never bites you where you need help from someone.

no one gets any sympathy from you. you should hope karma never bites you where you need help from someone.

No one?? Really? Oh no I have sympathy for lots of people. Those that are in bad situations due to no fault of their one. It's a small group however. Most are in the trouble they are financially because of poor choices they've made in their lives.

A much needed correction.

Savings today simply represent future spending, and it's a far more sustainable model for real growth than the one we have today.

So you are more than willing to accept slow or negative growth in exchange for more savings? well you should be happy then

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-savings-rate-problem-2016-5

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/01/news/economy/american-consumer-saving-not-spending/

bs. I made $6k/year as a research assistant in grad school. full tuition assistance including books. I was injured in the lab one night. no insurance (cuz it wasn't part of the assistantship and I couldn't afford it). it took many months to pay off the medical bills and finally get on an even keel. never had much to save even after they were paid off. perhaps you lived on ramen noodles and kept your room at 57 degrees and then lived an otherwise charmed existence.

Nope, not BS. It can be done, if you're not a spoiled brat and use a modicum of foresight in budgeting and work your ass off.

The fact that you couldn't manage it doesn't make me a liar. It makes you a liberal.

Nope, not BS. It can be done, if you're not a spoiled brat and use a modicum of foresight in budgeting and work your ass off.

The fact that you couldn't manage it doesn't make me a liar. It makes you a liberal.

how many hours a week did you work? where did you live?

Basic necessities??

1. Smart phone?

2. Internet?

3. Cable?

4. Booze?

5. Lunches out instead of brown bagging it?

I wonder how many of the poor minimum wage darlings have any of the above that they could do without for a few months to get that emergency fund in place. How about a second job?

People like you are confussing stereotypes aka trailer trash with reality. There are plenty of people like that, but until you live on minimum wage and try to save $20 a week you have no clue. You can only work so much until you fail at one of your jobs. Everyone has limits. The arguement is pointless. How much do you think rent costs? Sure there are people who do waste on alcohol,drugs,phones etc but they're also SMART/HARD WORKING people who waste not yet can hardly survive. I'm glad that some of you guys are blessed with high wages, yet lack the class to be humble/thankful. Some people do lack drive and ambition. Others are dealt different cards in life. Someone has to fill low paying jobs as well. They should at least pay enough for people to survive emergencies. I was making the arguement in a previous post about the "choices" we make. A poster claimed a high school diploma with ambition and no out of wedlock children equals success. In a world where college is crucial, that is a ridiculous statement. I was told it's ones fault they don't get an education. That may be true in many cases, but to make that a blanket statement is nothing short of ignorant. Life doesn't always allow everything for everyone. It doesn't make them lazy or dumb. PS I don't understand why all of guys who claim to be successful are so bitter and angry about all the supposed failures out there. Just be happy you're doing good. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Every person who mentions rent as a cost immediately loses the argument.

Live with your family. Everyone else in the world lives with their parents. Americans are the only ones who think its a necessity to have their own house. Do we even have to talk about every adult owning a car? And no, I don't care if you have to commute an hour to work, you're the dumbass that decided to live that far.

We've been so rich that we've skewed the idea of what it means to be poor. How many times have you heard someone say they're destitute because they don't have anything left after paying their bills? That's not what poor means.

Every person who mentions rent as a cost immediately loses the argument.

Live with your family. Everyone else in the world lives with their parents. Americans are the only ones who think its a necessity to have their own house. Do we even have to talk about every adult owning a car? And no, I don't care if you have to commute an hour to work, you're the dumbass that decided to live that far.

We've been so rich that we've skewed the idea of what it means to be poor. How many times have you heard someone say they're destitute because they don't have anything left after paying their bills? That's not what poor means.

How do you commute to work if you are stuck in the country with your family? America is not set up like the rest of the world. BTW in a couple of generations the parents won't have the money to support the kids to live at home for eternity because they don't make enough. Greeks,and Spainards live at home with their parents. Other economically succesful 1st world country residents do not. The idea that everyone has even has parents alive, and have that kind of relationship with them lives in the same sugar coated world of those who say everyone had the opportunity to go to college. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

In Buffalo, and including school, about 100 hrs/wk.

Double shifts six days a week? Good for you, and I have no idea how old you are but a lot of people wouldn't be able to physically withstand that. If you're saying that's what people "should" do to make it they might as well move to China and labor away all day. At least they wouldn't be wasting money on a home they never see. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Double shifts six days a week? Good for you, and I have no idea how old you are but a lot of people wouldn't be able to physically withstand that. If you're saying that's what people "should" do to make it they might as well move to China and labor away all day. At least they wouldn't be wasting money on a home they never see.

You're a !@#$ing idiot. Read what I actually write before responding to me.

You're a !@#$ing idiot. Read what I actually write before responding to me.

Just go to the typical tough guy fu style response to justify your manhood, and lack of ability to debate anything. That's fine, sometimes I don't expect any better on this forum You were just debating the merits of people who can't save 1K for an emergency. You responded by saying where you live, and how often you go to work/school. It seemed to me you were saying that's what people should do, and if they can't they are to blame. We disagree on a heated political issue. No need for hostility. It's always easier just to insult the other sides intelligence, and resort to name calling. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Just go to the typical tough guy fu style response to justify your manhood, and lack of ability to debate anything. That's fine, sometimes I don't expect any better on this forum You were just debating the merits of people who can't save 1K for an emergency. You responded by saying where you live, and how often you go to work/school. It seemed to me you were saying that's what people should do, and if they can't they are to blame. We disagree on a heated political issue. It's always easier just to insult the other sides intelligence, and resort to name calling. Way to go my friend.

giphy.gif

So you are more than willing to accept slow or negative growth in exchange for more savings? well you should be happy then

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-savings-rate-problem-2016-5

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/01/news/economy/american-consumer-saving-not-spending/

It's not that I want it, it's that it's necessary.

Such a senario would put us on a much more sustainable growth path once we went through a correction.

People like you are confussing stereotypes aka trailer trash with reality. There are plenty of people like that, but until you live on minimum wage and try to save $20 a week you have no clue. You can only work so much until you fail at one of your jobs. Everyone has limits. The arguement is pointless. How much do you think rent costs? Sure there are people who do waste on alcohol,drugs,phones etc but they're also SMART/HARD WORKING people who waste not yet can hardly survive. I'm glad that some of you guys are blessed with high wages, yet lack the class to be humble/thankful. Some people do lack drive and ambition. Others are dealt different cards in life. Someone has to fill low paying jobs as well. They should at least pay enough for people to survive emergencies. I was making the arguement in a previous post about the "choices" we make. A poster claimed a high school diploma with ambition and no out of wedlock children equals success. In a world where college is crucial, that is a ridiculous statement. I was told it's ones fault they don't get an education. That may be true in many cases, but to make that a blanket statement is nothing short of ignorant. Life doesn't always allow everything for everyone. It doesn't make them lazy or dumb. PS I don't understand why all of guys who claim to be successful are so bitter and angry about all the supposed failures out there. Just be happy you're doing good.

i wish there was a symbol for standing ovation. this post gets it. i won't try to add it's got it all. it's all true.

i found it:

Edited by birdog1960

People like you are confussing stereotypes aka trailer trash with reality. There are plenty of people like that, but until you live on minimum wage and try to save $20 a week you have no clue. You can only work so much until you fail at one of your jobs. Everyone has limits. The arguement is pointless. How much do you think rent costs? Sure there are people who do waste on alcohol,drugs,phones etc but they're also SMART/HARD WORKING people who waste not yet can hardly survive. I'm glad that some of you guys are blessed with high wages, yet lack the class to be humble/thankful. Some people do lack drive and ambition. Others are dealt different cards in life. Someone has to fill low paying jobs as well. They should at least pay enough for people to survive emergencies. I was making the arguement in a previous post about the "choices" we make. A poster claimed a high school diploma with ambition and no out of wedlock children equals success. In a world where college is crucial, that is a ridiculous statement. I was told it's ones fault they don't get an education. That may be true in many cases, but to make that a blanket statement is nothing short of ignorant. Life doesn't always allow everything for everyone. It doesn't make them lazy or dumb. PS I don't understand why all of guys who claim to be successful are so bitter and angry about all the supposed failures out there. Just be happy you're doing good.

Fail at a minimum wage job?

Interesting.

Just go to the typical tough guy fu style response to justify your manhood, and lack of ability to debate anything. That's fine, sometimes I don't expect any better on this forum You were just debating the merits of people who can't save 1K for an emergency. You responded by saying where you live, and how often you go to work/school. It seemed to me you were saying that's what people should do, and if they can't they are to blame. We disagree on a heated political issue. No need for hostility. It's always easier just to insult the other sides intelligence, and resort to name calling.

Again: read what I post before you respond to it. Don't waste my !@#$ing time.