Ranking ALL Buffalo Bill QB's who have started ONE Game

May be you should argue why you think Fitzpatrick was better than Trent Edwards. Both had very poor games and some good games...Edwards was stuck in a 3-way competition with Losman and Holcomb.

No he wasn't. Holcomb was only on the Bills in 2005; Edwards was drafted in 2007. He was stuck in a QB competition with Ryan Fitzpatrick, which he lost, leading to him getting cut after two games in 2010. Meanwhile Fitzpatrick has been a starting QB in the league ever since. You need to take a Bills history class or something. Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe all the love Bledsoe is getting on this post. He sucked with the only exception as another poster mentioned being the first half of the 2002 season. It's amazing how name recognition can make people see you in a different light. Exclude the first half of 2002, and he was no better than any of our other post Kelly QBs. Please someone tell me why I'm wrong.

I can't believe all the love Bledsoe is getting on this post. He sucked with the only exception as another poster mentioned being the first half of the 2002 season. It's amazing how name recognition can make people see you in a different light. Exclude the first half of 2002, and he was no better than any of our other post Kelly QBs. Please someone tell me why I'm wrong.

I'd say the whole of 2002 but then I might be remembering wrong that is a while ago now. He was never as good after that, but we have not had a QB since who has gotten close to his 2002 production.

I'd say the whole of 2002 but then I might be remembering wrong that is a while ago now. He was never as good after that, but we have not had a QB since who has gotten close to his 2002 production.

Like DriveFor1Outta5, I remember Bledsoe being really good for the first half of his first season with us. His performance tailed off dramatically afterwards.

The only one on that list worth a damn is James Harris.

Man, I'm old. I remember James Harris taking a wicked hit but still somehow getting the pass off (a completion) before hitting the ground.

I loved his toughness. And I loved his determination to defy the odds: he was the first black QB to start on opening day when he lined up under center for the Bills in '69.

I just wish he had been a little better, though as I recall, our OL didn't do him many favors.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Former-Bills-QB-James-Harris-retires-from-the-NFL/30e87209-af72-4dfe-8e95-07cafaad5aec

FWIW. Career passing ratings of a few of these guys:

Fergy: 68.4

Harris: 67.3

Kemp: 57.3

Kemp's leadership skills were better than his passing skills. I'm not sure how you can quantify that, but he did lead the team to two AFL titles.

Wow we had alot of ****ty qbs to root for, !@#$

I really liked Fergy but in my opinion he was not a franchise QB though I can see both sides of the argument...

Fergy's job his first few years in the league was to hand the ball off to OJ. From 1973-1976, Fergy only threw for a mere 123 yards per game. In his rookie year, Fergy didn't crack 1,000 yards for the season despite starting all 14 contests.

But Fergy seemed to mature as he got older. We may forget that Fergy led the NFL in passing yards in 1977, beating out the likes of Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Ron Jaworski, Ken Stabler, and Joe Theisman among others.

Fergy was #8 in passing yards in '79, #6 in '81 and #11 in '83.

Fergy had a lively arm, and had a few good seasons, but he had a number of unproductive years as well.

Here's how I remember Flutie... He would be terrible for 3 quarters but our good defense kept us in the game. Then Flutie would do something magical in the 4th quarter to pull out the win.

If Flutie hadn't sucked the first 3 quarters, we would have gone into the 4th with a the lead and wouldn't need him to lead a comeback. He only threw for about 194 yards per game in an era when good QBs were throwing for a lot more.

Finally someone gets it

Man, I'm old. I remember James Harris taking a wicked hit but still somehow getting the pass off (a completion) before hitting the ground.

I loved his toughness. And I loved his determination to defy the odds: he was the first black QB to start on opening day when he lined up under center for the Bills in '69.

I just wish he had been a little better, though as I recall, our OL didn't do him many favors.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Former-Bills-QB-James-Harris-retires-from-the-NFL/30e87209-af72-4dfe-8e95-07cafaad5aecFWIW. Career passing ratings of a few of these guys:

Fergy: 68.4

Harris: 67.3

Kemp: 57.3

Kemp's leadership skills were better than his passing skills. I'm not sure how you can quantify that, but he did lead the team to two AFL titles.

How about kemp fumbling skills

02 he was ok. The Pro bowl nomination was a popularity contest. based on past pats*** performances IMO.

In general He sucked and his wine sucks.

Give me a bottle of joe montana's!

Solid list. I was watching an NFL Network show and old Bills guys were talking about why they drafted Frank. They said it was because he played his best in high pressure situations. Damn they were rite. Reich was one of the best back up QBs of all time at least in a Bills uni.

Was the best... who was better? And DEFINITELY A BILL... he is the reason people expect backups to be polished starters. This list is wacky. Tuel stsrted 1 game and was 1 dumb throw away from beating the Chiefs in his first action let alone as a starter. He was a development. Thad lewis was a developmental practice squad player who wasnt even supposed to dress. And everyones whipping boy EJ. Thats is too low for him. He is a serviceable backup he will win some and lose some... but i can see thats a loosing battle. So whatever. I cant really speak on too many of them though because im too young

Edited by Agent 91

Great topic. So many terrible QBs, which speaks volumes.

My thoughts: D. Flutie was better than most give him credit for. He deserves to be #4 overall.

T. Taylor has a lot to prove to be where he is.

Fitzpatrick and Lamonica could both be higher on the list.

Bledsoe was good with the Pats. He totally sucked with the Bills.

The remaining QBs on the list should be tied for last. None of them were worth a damn.

I generally agree with the list. And from what I've read Lamonica should be higher for sure. I actually thought Taylor had a pretty good year last year, and there's only one year to judge. I agree with your assessment of Bledsoe. Many on this thread cannot separate his near hall-a-fame play for NE versus what he did (or didn't do) for the Bills.

Now what's interesting to me is can we predict Taylor's future from the plight of any of these QB's on the list.

What made Jim Kelly great. Toughness, confidence, arm strength, accuracy, touch.

What made Trent Edwards suck. Lack of toughness and confidence. He had some accuracy and touch. And we all know he can throw the short ball.

What made JP Losman suck. No ability to throw over the middle. No vision. Bad pocket presence. He had arm strength and a nice long ball.

Tyrod appears to me (at this point) to be a better JP Losman. He has arm strength and a nice long ball. No ability to throw over the middle. No vision. His big plus over Losman is that he can run like a really good running back.

I generally agree with the list. And from what I've read Lamonica should be higher for sure. I actually thought Taylor had a pretty good year last year, and there's only one year to judge. I agree with your assessment of Bledsoe. Many on this thread cannot separate his near hall-a-fame play for NE versus what he did (or didn't do) for the Bills.

Now what's interesting to me is can we predict Taylor's future from the plight of any of these QB's on the list.

What made Jim Kelly great. Toughness, confidence, arm strength, accuracy, touch.

What made Trent Edwards suck. Lack of toughness and confidence. He had some accuracy and touch. And we all know he can throw the short ball.

What made JP Losman suck. No ability to throw over the middle. No vision. Bad pocket presence. He had arm strength and a nice long ball.

Tyrod appears to me (at this point) to be a better JP Losman. He has arm strength and a nice long ball. No ability to throw over the middle. No vision. His big plus over Losman is that he can run like a really good running back.

You're being kind to Losman. He should have had a "t" after the "s" in his last name.

How about kemp fumbling skills

Kemp had his moments but what drove me crazy about him was how he'd be under pressure and instead of throwing the ball away or taking the sack he'd often keep retreating and retreating and turn a 5-10 yard loss into much more.

You're being kind to Losman. He should have had a "t" after the "s" in his last name.

Kemp had his moments but what drove me crazy about him was how he'd be under pressure and instead of throwing the ball away or taking the sack he'd often keep retreating and retreating and turn a 5-10 yard loss into much more.

Kemp? You could add up all the suck QBs on this list and you still couldn't touch Fergy on this.

Agree, after one partial season, no way tyrod deserves 2nd tier "Good" rank.

And did you bother looking at his record? Fitzpatrick belongs in "suck", and as many have pointed out a number in suck deserve "good" or "average"

Edited by truth on hold

That was my first reaction as well. Without Dufek on the list, the entire thing is irrelevant.

I loved Dufek. I think I was probably in 5th or sixth grade and that was the thing me and my dad would argue about. Say what you want about Dufek, but those conversations gave me and pops a way to communicate. Also remember when the strike happened all the talk about Jim Zorn coming out od retirement to play for the Bills.