Football Outsiders: RT is Bills' Biggest Post Draft Weakness

Is Michael Jasper ready yet?

Jasper is currently fighting the Canadian wildfires right now by himself. He projects that the fires will be out in a few days and he'll be in 'football shape' by training camp. Not worried about it at all.

if you have a RT that is good enough you can actually use that TE as a receiver sometimes

Ideally you don't want to do that, however when your QB is a money long ball passer like Tyrod you don't mind this. Additionally using 6 blockers opens up the running lanes for Tyrod to punish teams for playing with deep safeties.

Still cant believe Kujo was such a whiff.

You'd think burning a 2nd rounder at RT would get you somebody at least mediocre.

Cordy was a great 2nd round grab, but i'm sure Whaley is pissed at himself and/or staff for gambling on Kujo.

Imagine our offense if he was a stud. How it would help Miller learn, add to our running game, Tyrod's development as a pocket passer, etc.

Ok i'm over it. Every GM has a handful of picks that haunt them. Hope we get that side fixed somehow.

Have you looked at the number of FIRST round OTs who never amounted to anything? This is hardly a "haunting" draft pick for Whaley.

I agree it's still disappointing though.

It's easy to say that the RT position was weak for the Bills last season. However, I wouldn't characterize it as a position of "need". Buffalo got 10 starts out of a rookie drafted in the 7th round and had the most effective rushing attack in the NFL. Something needs to be said for continuity and knowing how the guy next to you plays. Assuming he's back, this will be the first time in 20 years, TWENTY years, that the starting offensive line returned from the previous year. Does anyone remember the Dockery/Walker experiment in 2007? They paid boatloads of money for two offensive linemen that were supposed to "upgrade" those positions. Complete and utter failure and a lack of continuity. I'm not saying that Henderson will be great or even good, but continuously fiddling with something before you give it a chance to come together is a mistake.

This situation is not a panic certainly, and really does not even add up to even a big problem yet.

The reality is that we have several imperfect players who while they cannot be mistaken for Pro Bowl RTs did see some significant time at RT last year on a Bils team which led the NFL in rushing yardage (and thanks to the mixture of the talents of Tyrod and his blockers avoided sacks).

Right now, if the Bills can acquire more talent at a reasonable price then by all means get 'em.

However, if I go into the season looking to find one guy to start from Henderson, Mills, and Cujo, and then the loser from these three to be my back-up I am not panicking.

In fact, I would not be shocked if part of the reason Slauson went to SD is because he judged that there was less competition in SD rather than go up against three young RTs none of whom are great but all have some potential upside.

Jasper is currently fighting the Canadian wildfires right now by himself. He projects that the fires will be out in a few days and he'll be in 'football shape' by training camp. Not worried about it at all.

Actually he returned to his alma mater Bethel University as assistant football coach coaching offensive line.

I know we missed on a few OTs in the draft but had the defense been better prepared and coached better last season we could have made the POs with the offense we had. The draft and Rex knowing its do or die for him gives me hope for next season

Still cant believe Kujo was such a whiff.

You'd think burning a 2nd rounder at RT would get you somebody at least mediocre.

Cordy was a great 2nd round grab, but i'm sure Whaley is pissed at himself and/or staff for gambling on Kujo.

Imagine our offense if he was a stud. How it would help Miller learn, add to our running game, Tyrod's development as a pocket passer, etc.

Ok i'm over it. Every GM has a handful of picks that haunt them. Hope we get that side fixed somehow.

Kuondijio was supposed to be a #1 pick, he slipped because of concerns re: his knee. Also, when we are speaking of him we need to remember that, though he's entering his 3rd year, he's only have just turned 23 when camp opens. For perspective he's only slightly more than a year older than rookie Laremy Tunsil.

Edited by That's No Moon

I think a player and his situation to keep an eye on is the Raven's OT Eugene Monroe. I think that the guy could be gotten and for a reasonable price for the quality of player that he is. I think that it would be better to trade for him instead of taking a chance that the Ravens cut him after June 1st and have him hit the open market, his price would go up considerably. The last 3 years of his current contract is very reasonable for a very good OT.

There's really only 1 concern with him and that is if he can stay healthy. If he could then I believe that the Bills would have a dominate OL.

@BuffRumblings

Biggest remaining weakness for the #Bills? Right tackle, per @FO_ASchatz

https://t.co/0cUOGWYSnb

What's the biggest remaining hole on the Buffalo Bills' roster heading into the 2016 regular season? That would be right tackle, according to Aaron Schatz over at FootballOutsiders.com (and probably a lot more people, too).

wow that is horrible, even more odd that we didn't draft a tackle, they better hope some becomes available. I know your supposed to draft BPA but when you have a flat tire you fix the flat not the good tire.

Is Michael Jasper ready yet?

why not, athletic quick first step :D

@RyanTalbotBills

After missing out on Matt Slauson, the Bills should look at Louis Vasquez http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1668532-should-the-bills-look-at-louis-Vasquez

"His power blocking prowess wasn't a great fit in Broncos coach Gary Kubiak's zone blocking scheme."

Power blocking is certainly utilized in Buffalo's offense and Vasquez has played at both right guard and right tackle in his career."

Sounds like a plan to me, sign him.

I would rank NT as the teams biggest need. Henderson, Mills, and Cyrus are nothing great but I think that it is possible one of those 3 could emerge and do a decent job at RT, not inspiring too much confidence but there is some room for hope there. But the team does not have a true NT on the roster. And for Rex's scheme I think you need a true NT. Dareus at the nose seems like a waste, Kyle Williams could be at the nose but he would also be a waste at the nose, and Washington is unproven and smaller.