NFL Sunday Ticket 2016

You guys are not talking to the right department. You need customer retention. otherwise, they will just cancel it and won't care.

Also, if you ever get push back, just say you will think more about it, and then call back in a few days. I have done this to get better deals, and I think some of the customer reps there are just more experienced and familiar with the deals they can cut than others.

I said when it prompted me to "cancel my service". Should I have said something different?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm-- that should have gotten you there. I usually just yell: "cancel! cancel!"

I would just try again.

Okay thanks. This guy wasn't hearing any of it, he had a real attitude problem.lol

Okay thanks. This guy wasn't hearing any of it, he had a real attitude problem.lol

If you ever get a representative that is being a jerk, politely ask to speak to their supervisor. I have found that you can usually get better deals as you go up the ladder. Again, being calm and polite is key, IMO.

I had them call my bluff once and set up the cancelation. Just called back a few days latter and explained that I didn't understand why they wanted to lose me when all I wanted was some discounts or a better deal on the ticket. Don't remember what I got, but remember I was happy with what they gave me.

They did blame it on a new agent. They also said the longer you wait from the last time they gave you a deal the more they could give you, so based on that its better to call closer to the start of the season.

But I always worry if I wait to long they might feel that they have given out too much as more and more people find out about it each year. I do feel a little guilty doing it, but your crazy if you don't. Since they seem to allow it each year, we're only playing by thier rules.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Unfortunately, I have more than a year to go on my contract......no leverage this year....(got the free Genie setup in my condo in Florida and that is GREAT) Of interest on this board is the trouble DTV is giving me about having a one account system. that is one account for my Buffalo area home and my Florida vacation home. (I am retired) They pushed me into the one account deal...which is good....turn off upstate NY and turn on Florida..and vice versa as many times a year as I want......only get charged for receivers that are on. Now, they are telling me the FCC is pressuring them to make me do two accounts....and Sunday ticket, which I might buy....would have to be purchased twice if I want it both locations.(two account system) Anyhow, Sunday ticket has now gotten prohibitive for me unless they continue to allow the one account system. (this also has to do with local TV stations somehow) Anyhow, I may have to do the cable and ditch the Bills/ticket when in the south. May need to get literate on the streaming options.

If you ever get a representative that is being a jerk, politely ask to speak to their supervisor. I have found that you can usually get better deals as you go up the ladder. Again, being calm and polite is key, IMO.

Correct....and if this doesn't work.....end the call and call back later and try again

I had them call my bluff once and set up the cancelation. Just called back a few days latter and explained that I didn't understand why they wanted to lose me when all I wanted was some discounts or a better deal on the ticket. Don't remember what I got, but remember I was happy with what they gave me.

They did blame it on a new agent. They also said the longer you wait from the last time they gave you a deal the more they could give you, so based on that its better to call closer to the start of the season.

But I always worry if I wait to long they might feel that they have given out too much as more and more people find out about it each year. I do feel a little guilty doing it, but your crazy if you don't. Since they seem to allow it each year, we're only playing by thier rules.

Don't.....their prices are high as it is....

I know this is not PC, but AT&T used to have the worst customer service when they were our internet and landline provider in CT. I used to spend a long time just to get a real CR and usually they were from some other country. One told me he was a proud citizen of El Salvador but didn't seem to understand my problem. I subsequently learned to ask for on shore services to get someone from this country.

I have never had this problem with Direct TV and I have told them I hoped things wouldn't change when AT&T took over. I'm not sure if that could happen eventually, but as another poster recommended if you don't get what you want call back later to get someone more reasonable. Customer retention is my best bet so far, but the last time it took an inordinate amount of time to reach them. I usually call in the evening around 7 p.m. and try to strike up a conversation. Guy recommended Ray Donovan when he offered me 4 months of Showtime for free and I really liked the show.

My advice is to keep calling back. They recognize loyalty even when your contract is not up.

So I called back this morning. Said I was disappointed with my call & I have decided to go to Dish, said they are going to give me a $300.00 credit. The guy's response was amazing. He said "let me type up the cancellation form for you." I have never felt so betrayed in all my life. So I put the cancellation date as August 6th. So I am hoping they call me back between then. If not I am going to have to call them back with my tail between my legs telling them to cancel my cancellation. What a nightmare.

So I called back this morning. Said I was disappointed with my call & I have decided to go to Dish, said they are going to give me a $300.00 credit. The guy's response was amazing. He said "let me type up the cancellation form for you." I have never felt so betrayed in all my life. So I put the cancellation date as August 6th. So I am hoping they call me back between then. If not I am going to have to call them back with my tail between my legs telling them to cancel my cancellation. What a nightmare.

You did say that you have 2 years remaining on your contract, so if you made the call around the same time last year I suppose there is a chance that you do not have any "credits" available. Still, it amazes me that they won't do anything to placate you. Wow...sorry man.

You could always call up in a couple days and say something like "I talked with my wife and she does not want to switch satellite services. I would like to revoke my request to cancel my service. However, financially I am having trouble justifying paying this much for television. Is there anything you can you do for me?"

You did say that you have 2 years remaining on your contract, so if you made the call around the same time last year I suppose there is a chance that you do not have any "credits" available. Still, it amazes me that they won't do anything to placate you. Wow...sorry man.

You could always call up in a couple days and say something like "I talked with my wife and she does not want to switch satellite services. I would like to revoke my request to cancel my service. However, financially I am having trouble justifying paying this much for television. Is there anything you can you do for me?"

Yeah I will come up with something. I have no intention on cancelling direct tv. I don't really care about the sunday ticket. I live in Lancaster & have season tickets so I am at the stadium usually 5-6 games a year anyways. It is just nice gesture to get it for free.

:lol: A similar thing happened to me last year...I needed to reduce my bill and they had nothing to offer me, I asked about the Ticket and they offered a measly amount...so I said I guess I'm going to cancel and go to cable. She said "okay what date to you want to cancel"? Damn, I was caught!!! I gave them a date about a week down the line, and felt like a real chump. I woke up the next morning...NO SERVICE, they turned it off a week early!!! So I called them back and said WTF? Well then all the action started, said they were very sorry, give us a chance to make it right, blah, blah, blah. After a little back and forth I got Sunday Ticket Max for free, all the movie channels for 6 months free (after credits) and 20 off my bill for a year. Now I have to make the call again...I am dreading this. :cry:

Dude, you crack me up. I promise I'll come back and post once I make my annual call.

:lol: A similar thing happened to me last year...I needed to reduce my bill and they had nothing to offer me, I asked about the Ticket and they offered a measly amount...so I said I guess I'm going to cancel and go to cable. She said "okay what date to you want to cancel"? Damn, I was caught!!! I gave them a date about a week down the line, and felt like a real chump. I woke up the next morning...NO SERVICE, they turned it off a week early!!! So I called them back and said WTF? Well then all the action started, said they were very sorry, give us a chance to make it right, blah, blah, blah. After a little back and forth I got Sunday Ticket Max for free, all the movie channels for 6 months free (after credits) and 20 off my bill for a year. Now I have to make the call again...I am dreading this. :cry:

Hm interesting. Hopefully the same thing will happen to me. I could take going without tv for one day for all those discounts.

Dude, you crack me up. I promise I'll come back and post once I make my annual call.

Hey no problem, I am glad I could amuse you. That is why I am here. lol

Things have changed since AT&T and DTV got together. AT&T apparently no longer cares about their services working (that my remotes are useless half the time seems to be so common they are unmoved - while I am outraged!). But they're better at answering the phone and getting you a person to talk to. They just don't fix anything. Somehow I keep getting transferred to the DTV people (I have both just for ST and a minimal package), but the problem is with AT&T. As odd as this sounds, I think AT&T is giving up on AT&T and hitching their wagon more to DTV. I know it's complicated with upgrading cables, etc., but I just want my damn remotes to work! (My wife says the one in the family room died a slow painful death like it had been condemned to a work camp.)

wow, just the opposite for me. Called a few weeks back saying 3 of my remotes were dying, they overnighted 3 new ones on the spot. Came to my MIL's house on Thursday evening, and could not get picture from the Genie. Called at midnight Thursday, they had a guy at the house and fixed Friday at 8.30.

In terms of the deal, think most of you guys have FOMO on a deal more than worried about actually paying for the Sunday ticket. I hate the call, but i make it, just get the first person and say listen, here is what is all over the internet. Give me the ticket and max for that and we all good. Usually takes 5 minutes. If they counter with something that costs me $100 or whatever...i say okay, thanks, perfect, I'll take it ..talk to you next year

I'm too lazy to bother haggling with them. I'm just happy to be able to watch all the games. So much better than watching a game I don't care about to see Bills score, or spending way more to sit in a bar and watch.

I'm too lazy to bother haggling with them. I'm just happy to be able to watch all the games. So much better than watching a game I don't care about to see Bills score, or spending way more to sit in a bar and watch.

If you do it right you don't have to haggle. They actually give you "credits" on your account for being a good customer. All you need to do, really, is ask to use them.

There is absolutely no need to threaten cancellation, be nasty, or make up stories. I think the mistake people sometimes make when calling DTV is that they try too hard.

If you do it right you don't have to haggle. They actually give you "credits" on your account for being a good customer. All you need to do, really, is ask to use them.

There is absolutely no need to threaten cancellation, be nasty, or make up stories. I think the mistake people sometimes make when calling DTV is that they try too hard.

agree the hardest part is getting to the retention folks but I found that ALL have to say th[o the machine is Cancel Service. When ya get agent make sure they are in retention enjoy the chat and just ask nicely what they can do. Has worked for me for years, this year I have a genie upgrade email so will use that as the leverage to call :-)'