Bills Staying in Orchard Park? Buying Up Land Around...

I park in Lot 3 and IF we get out in a timely fashion (which is always bad enough since for some reason they allow traffic to move westbound on Southwestern from Abbott, but I digress), it takes us longer to get from the lot 3 drive through the traffic circle at Big Tree and South Park than it does to get from the traffic circle to Youngstown. Traffic is TERRIBLE.

I park in Drive 5, right up close to the stadium. I leave my seats when the clock hits 00:00. I am generally pulling in to my driveway approximately 30 minutes from the time I start my car. Straight down Southwestern to Union and home to Cheektowaga. I rarely have traffic issues getting in or out of Drive 5.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very neutral on the new stadium topic. I'm not here to advocate a new downtown stadium by any stretch of the imagination. The tailgating experience itself is a great reason to stay in Orchard Park. That being said, I don't understand it when people use traffic issues as a reason not to build a downtown stadium. The Ralph has among the worst traffic flow situations in the entire league. It is surrounded by two lane roads that lead to the express ways a couple miles down the road. A downtown site would have immediate access to express ways. Of course congestion would still exist. It's inevitable when 80,000 people gather in one place at the same time. I just don't see it as being in worse than the Ralph. In fact I think it would improve that situation.

and good chance new stadium has under 70,000

But my retirement plan will hopefully include a second residence....I'll be the exact opposite of the standard "snow bird", I'll travel north for football season!

Ha - funny. My wife and I are in extended negotiations about this very subject right now.

Yes, for those like you and I that just need to shoot up Southwestern, it isnt that bad. There are a lot of others that get stuck in bad traffic though.

My point wasnt to say the traffic would be better downtown, just not any worse. Some people will always be stuck in traffic when you are dealing with that volume. Speaking of volume though... if they tie into mass transit like they should, then that will remove a good number of vehicles from the fold. Every Falcons game I went to while living in Atlanta, I took MARTA, and was dropped off right at (under actually) the stadium. No drunk driving either.

About $4Billion, with about $500,000,000 in cash right now. He could afford to pay for the whole thing if he really wanted to. And he can definitely cover half (assuming the whole thing will cost about $1Billion).

I agree he would be foolish to do it all himself, but, it might be worth it in order to have total control and keep the city/county/state out of his business.

I do pay property tax, in WNY. And I've (WE've) already helped fund plenty of stadiums and projects in NYC and Albany. They can kick in for us now too.

I dont follow. What I propose is contingent on a indoor/retractable roof stadium.

I'm guessing there is a reason pegula is investing in the area w practice fields etc and upgrades. That we will be in OP 10+ yrs. That the option to do a retractable downtown isn't that possible. And as such, the value it would add to uptown can't be that much. Having a building take up that much space downtown, needing the infrastructure it would need is a massive undertaking. Keeping the game 20 minutes away and improving the downtown of Buffalo would help create a place for after the game. Perhaps, soon transportation to get to OP from downtown will be likely. Chill in Buffalo until 1130-1145 hop on train. Head to OP. Get there by 1210. Go in game?

I'm guessing there is a reason pegula is investing in the area w practice fields etc and upgrades. That we will be in OP 10+ yrs.

they could simply be planning on keeping offices/practice facilities outside of downtown. a lot of teams do that.

no inside info with that statement, just sharing that practice.

I'm guessing there is a reason pegula is investing in the area w practice fields etc and upgrades. That we will be in OP 10+ yrs. That the option to do a retractable downtown isn't that possible. And as such, the value it would add to uptown can't be that much. Having a building take up that much space downtown, needing the infrastructure it would need is a massive undertaking. Keeping the game 20 minutes away and improving the downtown of Buffalo would help create a place for after the game. Perhaps, soon transportation to get to OP from downtown will be likely. Chill in Buffalo until 1130-1145 hop on train. Head to OP. Get there by 1210. Go in game?

There is a rail line that goes by RWS. They could extend Metrorail to the Southtowns.

There is a rail line that goes by RWS. They could extend Metrorail to the Southtowns.

There is no real connection to that rail line as of now. At least, not within walking distance of downtown.

Ha - funny. My wife and I are in extended negotiations about this very subject right now.

We've been in negotiations for over a decade on this topic. And we'll continue to discuss for years to come. She countered, once, with the idea of me living in Buffalo for one year (without her - she doesn't like cold weather) to get it out of my system. I stood firm and shot that notion down....Nothing like a little piece of football heaven (walk up property to Ralph Wilson Stadium).

Not to be completed until April 2017. Seems like a long time to build a simple grass practice field.

Apparently the long construction time is OBD caving to.Rob Ryans demands of a mighty taco, john & Marys, Bar Bill, Jim's Steak Out, Teds, and Lunetta's

Satellite operations on the sidelines.

Hurry, unless a recession hits prices are getting nutz!

i swear, i didn't realize this had become a big thing. i read this thread earlier today and made a few calls to find out what was up.

that said, i didn't take another look at this thing until just a few minutes ago and realized that it had become A BIG THING until it wasn't.

it's not.

jw

LOL

Not to be completed until April 2017. Seems like a long time to build a simple grass practice field.

Grass has gotta grow man...