Bills decline to exercise 2017 option for EJ Manuel

Nope. He's one of the better backups, at this point. And if he can erase some of the horrible development, he might even be starter material some day. He really needed the TT treatment coming out of college (sit for a few years behind a vet, with a good developmental coaching staff), instead he got... well... a **** show.

Agreed and well said. Tyrod Taylor was developed a hell of a lot better than Manuel. Hopefully, Jones will get more of the Taylor development instead of the Manuel treatment.

And Taylor and Manuel are much closer as passers than some posters want to believe. The huge plus for Taylor is he protected the ball much better. Hopefully that continues as he throws more routes next year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was funny. I love those old lines from Airplane.

As far as the EJ love / hate thing related to TT, well I'm rooting for TT. He has a lot to prove this year though and has to show some improvement in critical areas, but had some great flashes last year.

Regarding EJ, most people I've read agree he was put in a bad position. They really thought they could ease him into the starting role, but Kolb ( Mr. Glass) slipped on a banana peal. EJ like others before him was put in before he was ready. I think of guys like the older Carr who was destroyed by the horrible line on the Texans and ruined him.

With that said, he was a major reach in the first round. Living in FL I watched his games on Saturdays, and he made poor decisions and was inaccurate. Whaley thought he could improve but did not.

Maybe in another situation with a fresh start he can be a capable back up. He proved in Buffalo this is not possible with that Jax game. My gut is he places so much. Pressure on himself he makes bad decisions. I truly hope he can shake it off, sit behind someone and have a long career. I just don't want it to be here after 2016.

This is all that needs to be said about EJ. He turned out to be exactly what his scouting detractors said he was. No amount of grooming was going to alter the fact that this game is too fast for him to decipher.

Sure, he will make a great backup because the backup is the only guy on the roster absolutely no one wants to see play.

This is all that needs to be said about EJ. He turned out to be exactly what his scouting detractors said he was. No amount of grooming was going to alter the fact that this game is too fast for him to decipher.

Sure, he will make a great backup because the backup is the only guy on the roster absolutely no one wants to see play.

I thought that was part of being a bills fan when you want the backup to play?

The Bills will keep three QBs on the roster, and deactivate Cardale on game days. I don't know why this is difficult for folks to understand.

EJ is JUST FINE as a #2 in this league. Cardale will get his chance but it isn't going to be in 2016.

I agree that it's unlikely EJ is still here in 2017...the Bills may try to keep him as a backup but someone else will probably overpay, believing he can still develop into a competent starting option.

It is not difficult to understand. I know the Bills did it last year. My hope is that Jones shows promise in camp and preseason. EJ is what he is for the Bills. But can you say that a rookie can't play like EJ did last year when called upon? I mean it was like watching a rookie. Really bad and really good all in the same game.

It is not difficult to understand. I know the Bills did it last year. My hope is that Jones shows promise in camp and preseason. EJ is what he is for the Bills. But can you say that a rookie can't play like EJ did last year when called upon? I mean it was like watching a rookie. Really bad and really good all in the same game.

Keep calm, EJ is still a rookie?

Ya want to buy a carriage return? :lol:

Ah yes. The infamous JJ Watt pick 6 play. Well, here it is again, in all it's glory.

Please watch. At the snap, the OLB drops back into coverage, and #66 Henderson stupidly skips in place and does nothing as Watt shoots past him on the outside. Likewise, Chandler takes off for his usual spot deep downfield - about two yards past the LOS - and does nothing to impede Watt's progress. It's like neither one of them were there to put a chip on Watt. And, of course what about Fred? He also takes off toward the flat - I'm pretty sure he was EJ's #1 read on that play and well, he also goes by Watt like he's just a shadow. So JJ gets a standing start and a free run to EJ, he makes an easy leap up to intercept the ball and the rest is his-to-wah!

I'm sure that Hack-at-it and Maroon still have this play in their arsenal.

In I believe it was the first game of last year, Taylor had a play almost identical to this. Instead of the DE intercepting, the DE deflected the ball back to Taylor and Taylor batted it down. I wondered what the reaction would have been if the DE was a little more skilled and intercepted the ball. The play would have been virtually identical then.

I am thinking this is sarcasm....

EJ played like a rookie last year and it was his third year in the league. He will be kept on the team as insurance. And it is probably best NOT to play Jones at all this year if possible. Let EJ be the back up. Let Jones develop. EJ's ceiling has been exposed.

Hey how many people called Tyrod "pretty much a rookie"

In I believe it was the first game of last year, Taylor had a play almost identical to this. Instead of the DE intercepting, the DE deflected the ball back to Taylor and Taylor batted it down. I wondered what the reaction would have been if the DE was a little more skilled and intercepted the ball. The play would have been virtually identical then.

Tyrod is better. There would be some sort of Miller or Henderson hate. McCoy should have chipped... where was Clay?

Cardele is not as raw as everyone makes him out to be. I anticipate him being our 2 coming out of Fisher.

Imo

I completely agree. People act like Cardale has been hiding out at a D-3 school for the past four years and has never played in--much less won--a big game.