2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

It's funny that you brought up the Andy Dalton comparison. Few would argue that Dalton is an elite qb but that is not to say that he isn't a solid or even good qb. The Bills had an opportunity to draft him in the second round. We passed on him. If we would have taken him I'm confident that this team would have been a much more credible team over the past number of years and our playoff drought would have ended a number of years ago.

Few teams have elite qbs. However, with competent qbing you can be in the mix to compete for the playoffs and beyond. Jim Kelly retired two decades ago. We still haven't found an average franchise qb to replace him. That is a disgrace and an embarrassment. Enough is enough!

i like Dalton a lot. Bills would be very lucky to find a QB like him.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember they turned down offers to move down further which if they really did have EJ level with Geno or Barkley (I actually think the latter is more likely I don't think the Bills were ever high on Geno) they may well have accepted.

Interesting stuff GB. I didn't know there were more offers. You know, looking back they probably could have traded further down and STILL have drafted EJ. :)

I'm not arguing with your position because for the most part we are in agreement. As far as Nix's philosophy of building a team first before addressing the qb position that is a foolish approach to take.

I agree that QB first is the better approach. Look at the Raiders. Get the guy then worry about the pieces. They had some talent but most of what they have now came post Carr.

Interesting stuff GB. I didn't know there were more offers. You know, looking back they probably could have traded further down and STILL have drafted EJ. :)

I agree. As long as they stayed in the 1st I think EJ would have been there. I do believe the Eagles and the Jags were both pretty high on him and the Bills probably didn't want to get too far back in the first to give one of them the idea of nudging up (I think they were #1 and #4 in the 2nd) but they could have moved back another 8-10 spots and still had EJ. Edited by GunnerBill

I agree that QB first is the better approach. Look at the Raiders. Get the guy then worry about the pieces. They had some talent but most of what they have now came post Carr.

I agree. As long as they stayed in the 1st I think EJ would have been there. I do believe the Eagles and the Jags were both pretty high on him and the Bills probably didn't want to get too far back in the first to give one of them the idea of nudging up (I think they were #1 and #4 in the 2nd) but they could have moved back another 8-10 spots and still had EJ.

Whether the Eagles or the Jags had a first round grade on EJ is not the issue. The core issue is whether the Bills' organization can competently evaluate qbs, a task that is much more complicated and comprehensive than evaluating for other positions.

In my mind EJ should have had a third round grade as a developmental qb. Drafting him in the first round and playing him sooner than he should hurt his development and prospects. I am a Whaley supporter. However, if he had a first round grade on EJ then he should share blame with Buddy for that pick that ultimately set this franchise back.

One of Buddy Nix's major faults when it comes to scouting is that he is too enamored with physical size and prowess instead of focusing on the more important issues of the ability to play and instincts for the game. That is why he would move up in the third round to draft a track receiver in Graham who didn't have a major impact in college instead of taking a chance on a less imposing specimen as Russell Wilson who was the embodiment of talent for knowing how to play.

Whether the Eagles or the Jags had a first round grade on EJ is not the issue. The core issue is whether the Bills' organization can competently evaluate qbs, a task that is much more complicated and comprehensive than evaluating for other positions.

In my mind EJ should have had a third round grade as a developmental qb. Drafting him in the first round and playing him sooner than he should hurt his development and prospects. I am a Whaley supporter. However, if he had a first round grade on EJ then he should share blame with Buddy for that pick that ultimately set this franchise back.

One of Buddy Nix's major faults when it comes to scouting is that he is too enamored with physical size and prowess instead of focusing on the more important issues of the ability to play and instincts for the game. That is why he would move up in the third round to draft a track receiver in Graham who didn't have a major impact in college instead of taking a chance on a less imposing specimen as Russell Wilson who was the embodiment of talent for knowing how to play.

I don't want to rehash what's been said before but the truth is the plan was to have EJ play behind Kevin Kolb but that all went away when Kolb suffered one of the strangest injuries I have ever heard. In terms of us taking EJ in the 1st, it was a reach but think the team talked itself into it because they didn't want to risk not getting him yet also tried to be shrewd in trading below the top 10 to get him as it allow us keep him at a lower cap figure in his 5th year if he ended up in fact being our franchise QB.

I don't want to rehash what's been said before but the truth is the plan was to have EJ play behind Kevin Kolb but that all went away when Kolb suffered one of the strangest injuries I have ever heard. In terms of us taking EJ in the 1st, it was a reach but think the team talked itself into it because they didn't want to risk not getting him yet also tried to be shrewd in trading below the top 10 to get him as it allow us keep him at a lower cap figure in his 5th year if he ended up in fact being our franchise QB.

The bottom line with EJ is that he was improperly evaluated. Whether Kolb or Orton or whoever stop gap qb was brought in to buy time for EJ to be groomed the outcome was going to be the same. There are flaws to his game dealing with accuracy and reading defenses/going through progressions that were not correctable to the extent that he could be a successful franchise qb. The core issue relating to EJ and the qb position is our organization's ability to smartly scout for that position.

The bottom line with EJ is that he was improperly evaluated. Whether Kolb or Orton or whoever stop gap qb was brought in to buy time for EJ to be groomed the outcome was going to be the same. There are flaws to his game dealing with accuracy and reading defenses/going through progressions that were not correctable to the extent that he could be a successful franchise qb. The core issue relating to EJ and the qb position is our organization's ability to smartly scout for that position.

Agreed. I don't think EJ will ever be a franchise QB but thought he could be at least a Rich Gannon type that could have a few years of above average play but thus far it looks like he just another backup QB. In terms of scouting the position, it's sad really as it could be debated that Joe Ferguson is the only QB we ever drafted and developed (as Kemp learned in San Diego and Kelly in the USFL).

Edited by The Jokeman

Agreed. I don't think EJ will ever be a franchise QB but thought he could be at least a Rich Gannon type that could have a few years of above average play but thus far it looks like he just another backup QB. In terms of scouting the position, it's sad really as it could be debated that Joe Ferguson is the only QB we ever drafted and developed (as Kemp learned in San Diego and Kelly in the USFL).

There are many reasons why this organization has been floundering for a generation or more. Not being able to evaluate qbs properly as draft prospects and free agent qbs is the single most important reason why this franchise continues to be stuck in the muck of mediocrity. As I stated in other posts Jim Kelly retired two decades ago. Still, this laggard and inept organization has not found a decent replacement. That is pathetic and stupid!

In my view the best approach to take this offseason is to see if we can acquire a qb who is currently stuck as a backup but has the potential to be a credible qb. McCarron and Glennon come to mind. If a deal for Garoppolo can be made I would not be against it. That is not to say that the Bills shouldn't continue to engage in the draft in their pursuit of a franchise qb prospect.

Is Cardale Jones a good prospect? Maybe so. But at this point he is a raw prospect with tools who needs time to develop before a fair assessment can be made.

@RQUINN619

2017 NFL Draft: Breaking down #LSU S Jamal Adams' potential fit with #GoBillsNFL_Season_2016_BUF.png

https://t.co/KaDGyPwGND

@RQUINN619

Rob Quinn Retweeted Rob Quinn

Bills safeties are trash. Jamal Adams is not. Read about how he can save Bills D

Robert tells no lies. Corey White and company; meet your doom. Your DOOOOOOM!

@theMMQB

The top 10 draft order heading into Week 17: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/26/nfl-week-16-playoff-picture-antonio-brown-derek-carr-injury-peter-king

C0nHEmFXgAAyR2Q.jpg

Bills currently have the #12 pick.

This is why I'd play EJ Manuel this week. It'll serve two purposes. One, to see if he's worth resigning. Two, if he stinks it up and they lose they can move up in the draft.

Dak Prescott was a fourth round selection by the Cowboys so we would have had to have taken him in the third round.

Not true. The Bills could have taken Prescott with their original 4th round pick, but Whaley gave away that pick (as well as this year's fourth) to move up for Ragland, who probably would have been available anyway. At the time, we were told that 4th rounders never amount to anything.

White and company will be joined by the Bills fanbase at this introduction. The Bills will once again be doomed for 4 or 5 years when they waste a first round pick on a safety.

Two things; why does everything doom a team for 4-5 years? Also, how can you take issue with drafting good players? I'd really hate to end up with an Earl Thomas calibre player in the early teens.

Bear in mind the disclaimers and whatnot, here's my mock draft for Bills Wire. Tell me how stupid I am.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/17/2017-nfl-mock-draft-buffalo-bills/

Dont like it Blokes. No QB

I understand the reasoning if they pick the option up they wont get a QB high and have that controversy ready to Brew becUse thats how the Bills are.

Just also think that is what is wrong with this organization

Edited by MAJBobby

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.