2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watson is a passer. He is very definitely a passer.

I am only being slightly tongue in cheek about Donald.... I have only seen him once and wasn't blown away I have to say. I do think USC Quarterbacks generally get hyped up because they play for USC. Matt Leinart was talked about as a consensus #1 pick the year before he came out, Barkley was talked about a year out as a consensus #1 pick, Kessler was seen by some as a top 10 pick after his sophomore year too.

I didn't like any of them very much. Donald will ultimately succeed or fail based on him and his own game not the games of those who came before him but the thing all those above had in common was playing for USC gave them a hype that outweighed their talent.

I thought Lienart would make it but was not a Barkely nor Kessler fan.

I saw 3 or 4 of Darnold, he looked pretty good in those, one more to go against Penn St., that should be a great game.

BB - have you ever watched Watson play? If so why would you say he's not a passer first?

nope, no confidence in Cbus. Just hope. But, no one really expected to be in the CFP until next year, so kind of just enjoying it.

he runs a lot, has over 500 this yr and over 1000 last yr

@theMMQB

With only a season of tape, NFL teams are racing to learn as much as possible about UNC QB Mitch Trubisky. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/21/nfl-draft-2017-mitch-trubisky-north-carolina-tar-heels-quarterback

C0NeKL-UoAAwUOu.jpg

Meh, how is that for an assessment?

Question for draft guys. Jake Browning. Is the kid a legit prospect? Eligible for next years draft since he's a soph? I like him but haven't watched him play more than a couple games, he's a semi local kid so he sparks an interest.

hell of a mind for the game but really lacking in arm and size, could be a great backup.

Fitz

minus the turnovers

@theMMQB

"He’s a big ol’ kid with a big arm": Scouts will watch Wyoming's Wentz-like Josh Allen in tonight’s Poinsettia Bowl:http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/15/nfl-general-manager-candidates-2017

Cz0XupvUkAA46Se.jpg

oh sure, hogging one of my guys (not one of my guys yet B-) )

BB - Watson is very mobile but have you watched him play? Can't see how he would ever not be considered a passer first.

Yep. The same got thrown at Mariota "oh all he does is run" and I consistently said on here Mariota is a passer who can run, not a runner who can throw and I'd have taken him #1 overall over Jameis (not that I didn't rate Winston highly I just loved Mariota). I don't think Watson is quite the polished prospect Mariota was - his decision making is not as consistent - but I think he throws with anticipation, he is accurate (his turnovers in my opinion are almost all poor decision making not poor accuracy), he wants to play from the pocket, he has a terrific arm and he can use his legs which (especially early in an NFL career) buys him some time while he develops that polish in the pros.

The grade I have on Watson at this moment is higher than the grade I had on any quarterback in last year's class and than everyone but Mariota and Winston in the 2015 class.

If DeShaun Watson falls to the Bills in the first round and they don't pick him..... that will be a huge error in my opinion. I would turn the card in inside 10 seconds in that scenario.

Yep. The same got thrown at Mariota "oh all he does is run" and I consistently said on here Mariota is a passer who can run, not a runner who can throw and I'd have taken him #1 overall over Jameis (not that I didn't rate Winston highly I just loved Mariota). I don't think Watson is quite the polished prospect Mariota was - his decision making is not as consistent - but I think he throws with anticipation, he is accurate (his turnovers in my opinion are almost all poor decision making not poor accuracy), he wants to play from the pocket, he has a terrific arm and he can use his legs which (especially early in an NFL career) buys him some time while he develops that polish in the pros.

The grade I have on Watson at this moment is higher than the grade I had on any quarterback in last year's class and than everyone but Mariota and Winston in the 2015 class.

If DeShaun Watson falls to the Bills in the first round and they don't pick him..... that will be a huge error in my opinion. I would turn the card in inside 10 seconds in that scenario.

no way he falls that far! Top 5 pick because of all the teams at the top that need QBs.

BB - Watson is very mobile but have you watched him play? Can't see how he would ever not be considered a passer first.

He's absolutely a passer first. Last night I heard Trevor Mattich saying that he is the most cerebral QB in the country with the decisions he's making at the LOS. Watson CAN run, much like Aaron Rodgers CAN run. They are cleary passers first.

My feeling on the qb issue is that it is an imperative that we get the best prospect that we can out of this draft, even if it means that we trade additional picks to make the jump up to be in position to secure a qb. Doug Whaley was aggressive in trading up for Watkins. In hindsight, it hasn't worked out not because Watkins isn't a superlative talent, because he is, his production hasn't been realized to the maximum extent because the qbing hasn't been good enough to make the proper use of his abilities. I'll also say the same thing about Clay. Whaley gave Clay a rich contract to sign him in free agency. The GM didn't get his money's worth of production not because of his talent but because of the inadequate level of play from the qb.

Jim Kelly retired two decades ago. In those twenty years a legitimate franchise has not been found. That is ridiculous---enough is enough! If the GM was willing to be aggressive in Watkins's draft year, then it is even more important to be aggressive is securing the qb of the future.

I would appreciate it if others would comment on North Carolina's qb Mitch Trubinsky? He seems to have a more ready NFL style of game than some of the other top qb prospects in this year's draft.

Edited by JohnC

My feeling on the qb issue is that it is an imperative that we get the best prospect that we can out of this draft, even if it means that we trade additional picks to make the jump up to be in position to secure a qb. Doug Whaley was aggressive in trading up for Watkins. In hindsight, it hasn't worked out not because Watkins isn't a superlative talent, because he is, his production hasn't been realized to the maximum extent because the qbing hasn't been good enough to make the proper use of his abilities. I'll also say the same thing about Clay. Whaley gave Clay a rich contract to sign him in free agency. The GM didn't get his money's worth of production not because of his talent but because of the inadequate level of play from the qb.

Jim Kelly retired two decades ago. In those twenty years a legitimate franchise has not been found. That is ridiculous---enough is enough! If the GM was willing to be aggressive in Watkins's draft year, then it is even more important to be aggressive is securing the qb of the future.

I would appreciate it if others would comment on North Carolina's qb Mitch Trubinsky? He seems to have a more ready NFL style of game than some of the other top qb prospects in this year's draft.

John, I think Mitch is a lot like Connor Cook in terms of his playing style, but without the personality and leadership issues . I would take him as a NFL QB prospect but he's very inexperienced. He didn't win the job at UNC until this year. For a first round pick I would prefer more experience in terms of being ready to step right in. Otherwise he's another project. I do like his style of play and NFL traits though.

He's absolutely a passer first. Last night I heard Trevor Mattich saying that he is the most cerebral QB in the country with the decisions he's making at the LOS. Watson CAN run, much like Aaron Rodgers CAN run. They are cleary passers first.

Yes. Now, I do think Clemson is going to unleash his legs vs OSU because they have a great pass defense and have struggled vs mobile QBs. But he's just as good of a natural passer as Mariota and more mobile than Winston. IMO. If we kept our current offense with the Bills, I think Watson would light it up.

John, I think Mitch is a lot like Connor Cook in terms of his playing style, but without the personality and leadership issues . I would take him as a NFL QB prospect but he's very inexperienced. He didn't win the job at UNC until this year. For a first round pick I would prefer more experience in terms of being ready to step right in. Otherwise he's another project. I do like his style of play and NFL traits though.

Yes. Now, I do think Clemson is going to unleash his legs vs OSU because they have a great pass defense and have struggled vs mobile QBs. But he's just as good of a natural passer as Mariota and more mobile than Winston. IMO. If we kept our current offense with the Bills, I think Watson would light it up.

My feeling is if he is a good prospect then bring him on board and start the development process. If the qb is not ready to play then don't play him. Find a qb such as Glennon and McCarron who can start and allow you to bring along the prospects at the right pace.

Too many people have the attitude that drafting a qb in the first round is an instant fix. That is not the usual case in this league. There is a development stage that calls for patience.

As I stated in a prior post Whaley was aggressive in the Watkins deal. It wasn't worth it because the process he took was backwards. You have to solidify the qb position before you can get maximum production out of the receiver positions.

It doesn't matter what coaching changes this organization makes (it should be done) because unless the qb position is substantially upgraded little else will change. If this organization hasn't learned that after a generation of futility then it should close their doors and find another field of endeavor. Enough is enough!

As I stated in a prior post Whaley was aggressive in the Watkins deal. It wasn't worth it because the process he took was backwards. You have to solidify the qb position before you can get maximum production out of the receiver positions.

He thought he had his Quarterback in EJ and that an elite playmaker would elevate EJ's play. Clearly that was wrong but the thought process was as you suggested.

Trubisky I have not seen a lot of but I am not sold. I will be honest and say I am not even sure what is I am not sold on.... I definitely need to go and watch more of him though.... I haven't seen enough to try and grade him yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.