2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Care to expand a little on where you think I went wrong, Bill? Do you object to the calibre of player, the positions? Just curious.

Adams = Whitner. Can't escape the past to evaluate individual talent in the 2017 draft class. He'd fill a glaring need and be one helluva player.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to expand a little on where you think I went wrong, Bill? Do you object to the calibre of player, the positions? Just curious.

Adams is a tremendous safety.......he's NOT Whitner......he can do it all.

That said.......drafting for need usually proves to be a poor choice.

I know that's hard to avoid when you are a mock drafter but the likelihood that those players will excel as rookies is not good......and 2-3 years later those needs could have been otherwise resolved by then.

Use free agency for need.......then draft for elite quality at cornerstone positions....positions that are usually only stocked in free agency with warty players.

In general, if you would hesitate to pay a player the going rate if he pans out at the position........probably $12M per year or so for Adams by the time he would hit FA........it probably was a poor choice.

Personally, I'd take the QB.......even if it meant carrying 4 on the 53 next year.

But knowing they probably won't........I'd be looking hard at pass rusher.

It's a nice draft for pass rushers.

Hughes has struggled for most of this season and Shaq sure hasn't looked like the twitchy pass rusher some on here thought they were getting.

That is almost certainly a near future, big ticket need.

Bear in mind the disclaimers and whatnot, here's my mock draft for Bills Wire. Tell me how stupid I am.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/17/2017-nfl-mock-draft-buffalo-bills/

I said earlier in the thread that I'm a big Adams fan. He's going to be good. Also think Reynolds has a ton of talent. I think you grab a receiver in the second though.

I said earlier in the thread that I'm a big Adams fan. He's going to be good. Also think Reynolds has a ton of talent. I think you grab a receiver in the second though.

Dupre might be a 2nd round guy, too soon to tell. He's like a Michael thomas type as far as lots of talent but not in an offense conducive to big production. Edited by YoloinOhio

Post #1225 explains my position quite well.

I readily admit that when I watch college it is almost exclusively the Crimson Tide. If defense is what you want, they have some GREAT players on their front seven. Yes, GREAT.

And I meant what I said. Thanks and keep 'em coming. :)

Bear in mind the disclaimers and whatnot, here's my mock draft for Bills Wire. Tell me how stupid I am.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/17/2017-nfl-mock-draft-buffalo-bills/

Love Adams...Love him for the Bills...But...I think based on the probability the Bills finish at least 8-8...he will be gone by the time they pick...

I think at this extra-early point the name to watch for the Bills is Jabrill Peppers...I think he's just enough of a tweener, and moved around so much in College, it may make teams pause a bit allowing him to slide just a little... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Post #1225 explains my position quite well.

I readily admit that when I watch college it is almost exclusively the Crimson Tide. If defense is what you want, they have some GREAT players on their front seven. Yes, GREAT.

And I meant what I said. Thanks and keep 'em coming. :)

There is a practicality issue when it comes to mock drafts. If I take a 1st round QB or double up on pass rushers after Shaq last year, I get ripped to shreds for that too. I respect the point BADOL makes and, for the most part, I agree with him. I just think that, at some point, you have to address holes on the roster that are there. I also think Adams would be a BPA candidate if he's on the board, it's just that position of need is a deciding factor when you consider talent levels.

I did try to work an Alabama player in there. Allen is probably gone, Williams is a tough sell early, Foster would be nice but I'm not sure about taking another ILB early. You know my appreciation for Marlon Humphrey, I'd definitely consider him if Gilmore does walk. Same that you're aware of me being wary on Cam Robinson early.

I appreciate the kind words. There's no hard feelings on my part :)

Many highly rated players already skip the combine, on account of the fact that they have nothing more to prove. Skipping the bowl game is just an extension of that.

Almost all of the highly rated prospects show up in Indianapolis, but some decide to skip certain segments of the combine.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Many highly rated players already skip the combine, on account of the fact that they have nothing more to prove. Skipping the bowl game is just an extension of that.

Some skip because there's a mandatory drug test, some attend but hide what they don't want scouts to see. Little different than injury avoidance but to the same principle, don't damage your future earnings.

I get it, focus on getting some money. I feel differently with my experiences but I'm not unsympathetic.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Almost all of the highly ratted prospects show up in Indianapolis, but some decide to skip certain segments of the combine.

Which I will never understand. The combine proves absolutely nothing and is basically meaningless.

If it did the NFL success draft rate would be much higher.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.