2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Part 1 of Mark Schofield's watch list for 2017 quarterbacks - http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2017-nfl-draft/2016/05/09/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-watch-list-part-1/

I'm taking a quick look at about a dozen QB's over the next few weeks, I'll add my thoughts at some point.

Got my first real look at Kaaya over the weekend--there's something there IMO. He has this really bad habit of letting his front foot leak out to the left when he's throwing, and it causes the ball to float on him, but he's got some really intriguing ability.

Let me know what you think.

Chris Shanafelt's top 2017-eligible small school prospects - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fcor3F9ITQgdur0hn8j28rFSxbeUqHflrEYt3MDFo7s/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Names that jump off the page - Cooper Kupp (EWU WR) and Connor Harris (Lindenwood LB). Harris has racked up 336 tackles in his past 2 seasons (22 games).

Kupp is my guy. He's like if Julian Edelman had Greg Salas' body type. And those hands...wow

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kupp is my guy. He's like if Julian Edelman had Greg Salas' body type. And those hands...wow

Watched EWU for the first time at the start of 2014 vs Sam Houston (back when Vern Adams was an afterthought). Kupp made a one handed grab that was so good, I shouted "Where have you been all my life?".

I've been hooked ever since. He's a human highlight reel.

Got my first real look at Kaaya over the weekend--there's something there IMO. He has this really bad habit of letting his front foot leak out to the left when he's throwing, and it causes the ball to float on him, but he's got some really intriguing ability.

Let me know what you think.

I have Kaaya scheduled for the 24th. Focusing on seniors first. Then it's OL and pass rushers. Been a fan of Kaaya since his freshman year, he's the guy I most want to dig into.

Conscious decision not to bother with DB's this year. Impossible to get a definitive read without All-22.

Edited by Blokestradamus

my favorite comment, from the WalterFootball 2017 draft, round 2:

48. Dallas Cowboys: Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

Clemson_logo.gif
"The Cowboys blew it by passing on Jalen Ramsey. Apparently, cornerbacks who can erase half the field aren't valuable commodities. Perhaps the front office will prevent Jerry Jones from making stupid decisions next spring. "

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_2.php

They expect us to be worse if we are at 13 and if we draft a RB besides Christian McCaffrey, who could be the next Marshall Faulk, Whaley deserves to be fired.

If Kelly improves he will be in the first round regardless of checkered past, but I'm leery of spread QBs including Watson.

Not familiar with Kaaya but being in a pro offense he's worth checking out along with other pro style teams like Michigan, Michigan St., Stanford and the rest.

Just speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that Christian McCaffrey will stay in Stanford for the duration.

His family has strong ties to that school, and I think he has the attitude of "School first, football second". Just a hunch.

There's a world of work to be done before April of 2017, but I will say this: as of today, the best draft-eligible player I've watched to date is FSU's Demarcus Walker. He is an absolute terror.

@PFF

Could college football's best defender next season be an FSU Seminole? @PFF_Gordon believes so: https://t.co/1ih3Ek9qvi

@LedyardNFLDraft

Be happy: 2017 tight end class promises a huge lift to the position for NFL teams in need http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/05/10/2017-nfl-draft-watch-list-tight-ends/

CiHHDnIUUAAFWo2.jpg

Being a Michigan fan I am biased, so I would love to see Jake Butt playing for the Bills.

The Bills do have a need at Tight End. I hope that O'Leary could become good, I just see Butt as a more natural TE.

Part 1 of Mark Schofield's watch list for 2017 quarterbacks - http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2017-nfl-draft/2016/05/09/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-watch-list-part-1/

I'm taking a quick look at about a dozen QB's over the next few weeks, I'll add my thoughts at some point.

And Part 2 - http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2017-nfl-draft/2016/05/12/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-watch-list-part-2/

For me, Kiel is the standout name. I absolutely love him, just wish he could stay healthy.

Will be looking forward to it.

If you could point out which QBs play in the spread and which don't would be useful.

I've been burned by too many spread QBs and feel this is a big negative for any prospect although not impossible to overcome.

Just speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that Christian McCaffrey will stay in Stanford for the duration.

His family has strong ties to that school, and I think he has the attitude of "School first, football second". Just a hunch.

I read an article where Ed (dad) said that athletes like his boy should be able to come out as freshman because they are so talented.

Being a Michigan fan I am biased, so I would love to see Jake Butt playing for the Bills.

The Bills do have a need at Tight End. I hope that O'Leary could become good, I just see Butt as a more natural TE.

I like Price from Michigan St. too.

Gee, that is a very impressive group of RB's.

I noticed how many were Juniors, so the question is, how many of them will declare.

Is Nick Chubb going to be the same after that horrifying injury last year?

Word fromAthens is he will be back 100%. Chubb is a hard worker, I think he wil be all good.

This statement and the # of games you apparently watch to gain insights on players tell me that you are single.

It's by choice. Granted, it's the choice of the entire female population but a choice nonetheless!

Early days with this QB bunch but you guys need to watch Baker Mayfield. For every 'short' QB that gets the Russ comp, he's the closest one to being worthy for me.

Edited by Blokestradamus

It's by choice. Granted, it's the choice of the entire female population but a choice nonetheless!

Early days with this QB bunch but you guys need to watch Baker Mayfield. For every 'short' QB that gets the Russ comp, he's the closest one to being worthy for me.

His improvisation reminds me of Maziel at A&M. He's a better passer though. He is a fun player to watch.

His improvisation reminds me of Maziel at A&M. He's a better passer though. He is a fun player to watch.

He really does give off that JFF vibe, superior intellect though. Johnny didn't know when to attack and when to be conservative.

Only 7 QB's in (seniors only) but he's the clear frontrunner thus far. Makes some utterly jawdropping throws.

I watched Watson play 6 or 7 times last year and the guy is impressive. He reminds me of a smaller version of Cam. Not quite as tall and about 40lbs lighter right now, but the same talent level like Cam in college. The guy can run AND throw the football. Kaaya? Ehhhhhhh, idk. The guy hasn't really done anything to be in the discussion if you ask me, but what do I know. Kelly I don't trust because of his immaturity issues, but we'll see how he does this year. Another guy I think people may be sleeping on is Baker Mayfield. He had a couple of tough games last year, but if he shows improvement this season coming off of a solid year last then he could be in the 1st Round equation. After that I think you have a bunch of developmental guys.

:thumbsup:

There's a world of work to be done before April of 2017, but I will say this: as of today, the best draft-eligible player I've watched to date is FSU's Demarcus Walker. He is an absolute terror.

I got bored and put Miami/FSU on to watch Kaaya. You weren't kidding, Walker is pretty damn good. Those hands are just brutal. I quite like Miami's RG Danny Isidora and Walker worked him over when they got matched up.

Got a bit of bend to him for a guy that size.

No, they told you it was them or football and ... B-)

He really does give off that JFF vibe, superior intellect though. Johnny didn't know when to attack and when to be conservative.

Only 7 QB's in (seniors only) but he's the clear frontrunner thus far. Makes some utterly jawdropping throws.

Your not concerned about the spread offense?

Your not concerned about the spread offense?

I have to admit, I'm less worried about the spread concepts than I used to be. They are firmly entrenched in the NFL now. Also, not every scheme is the same. For instance, I pretty much abhore Baylor from a pro prospect standpoint because it's far too removed from the reality of the NFL. Receivers coached not to block, they essentially run 4 routes and there's almost zero responsibility on the backside of the play. Their QB's are pretty much plug and play idiots with big arms that don't know a thing about progressions or dealing with pressure.

Lincoln Riley is a Mike Leach protege and Oklahoma run a full Air Raid attack now. It's similar to what Cal ran with Jared Goff. Of course there's quite a few single read or half-field read plays where the ball is out so fast that it's pretty clearly pre-determined (Mayfield does what Mariota did, throws smokes/screens so fast he doesn't bother with the laces half the time to speed the process up).

Where guys like Goff and Mayfield are different is their skills from the neck up, they translate to any scheme. They can process information quickly, handle the pocket, execute multiple reads. I remember Mayfield's first game at Texas Tech vividly because I wrote him off as the typical Air Raid QB. Big arm, throws a lot of vertical routes. The guy that finished the 2015 season is a lot more accomplished than the freshman that threw all over SMU.

The telltale sign of a good QB in a spread scheme is watching what happens when the first read is taken away. The guys that can operate then are worth your time. I can't stress enough to judge the player and not the scheme. Understand what the scheme is set up for by all means, know that most guys in those schemes have an inherent weakness or disadvantage.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I have to admit, I'm less worried about the spread concepts than I used to be. They are firmly entrenched in the NFL now. Also, not every scheme is the same. For instance, I pretty much abhore Baylor from a pro prospect standpoint because it's far too removed from the reality of the NFL. Receivers coached not to block, they essentially run 4 routes and there's almost zero responsibility on the backside of the play. Their QB's are pretty much plug and play idiots with big arms that don't know a thing about progressions or dealing with pressure.

Lincoln Riley is a Mike Leach protege and Oklahoma run a full Air Raid attack now. It's similar to what Cal ran with Jared Goff. Of course there's quite a few single read or half-field read plays where the ball is out so fast that it's pretty clearly pre-determined (Mayfield does what Mariota did, throws smokes/screens so fast he doesn't bother with the laces half the time to speed the process up).

Where guys like Goff and Mayfield are different is their skills from the neck up, they translate to any scheme. They can process information quickly, handle the pocket, execute multiple reads. I remember Mayfield's first game at Texas Tech vividly because I wrote him off as the typical Air Raid QB. Big arm, throws a lot of vertical routes. The guy that finished the 2015 season is a lot more accomplished than the freshman that threw all over SMU.

The telltale sign of a good QB in a spread scheme is watching what happens when the first read is taken away. The guys that can operate then are worth your time. I can't stress enough to judge the player and not the scheme. Understand what the scheme is set up for by all means, know that most guys in those schemes have an inherent weakness or disadvantage.

I used to not worry about the spread figuring it didn't matter but so far it has been a HUGE obstacle to overcome. Look how long it took Cam and he is still in a run oriented scheme (plus he's a little b!tch but that's a different story)

I hope your right but we shall see if Goff and others can overcome.

I used to not worry about the spread figuring it didn't matter but so far it has been a HUGE obstacle to overcome. Look how long it took Cam and he is still in a run oriented scheme (plus he's a little b!tch but that's a different story)

I hope your right but we shall see if Goff and others can overcome.

I think the NFL needs to go through another stage in its evolution. It's going more and more pass-heavy, now it needs to embrace the new era of college QB's. Focus more on what they can do than what they can't. If they don't, the league is facing a severe recruitment issue at its premier position. The true pro-style QB's are rare, finding good ones is even rarer. 18 guys on my QB watch list, I think 2-3 come from established pro-style schemes.

I'm curious to watch the progression of Mariota and Goff. I think Mariota had a decent rookie year given how bad his protection was at times. They seem like the right kind of guys to find success and change some opinions. I'll remain bullish on what I think are the right players until I see enough evidence to the contrary.

I think the NFL needs to go through another stage in its evolution. It's going more and more pass-heavy, now it needs to embrace the new era of college QB's. Focus more on what they can do than what they can't. If they don't, the league is facing a severe recruitment issue at its premier position. The true pro-style QB's are rare, finding good ones is even rarer. 18 guys on my QB watch list, I think 2-3 come from established pro-style schemes.

I'm curious to watch the progression of Mariota and Goff. I think Mariota had a decent rookie year given how bad his protection was at times. They seem like the right kind of guys to find success and change some opinions. I'll remain bullish on what I think are the right players until I see enough evidence to the contrary.

I thought they would but I think the problem with the spread is it is to simple and easily defended in the NFL, kind of the passing version of the triple option, it looked great in college but with better athletes in the NFL it wasn't successful.

There are spread elements in the NFL now, but true success comes from QBs making reads and progressions and that is the biggest problem with college spread QBs. They don't make many reads and when they arrive in the NFL they are very underprepared and is why they fail so much. Some start out great like Kap and RG3 but then they get figured out and it's usually downhill from there.

This another reason why each team should have a farm club so they can develop prospects properly. This would not only help QB but also the Linemen and WRs who also have a hard time adjusting from the spread to pro style game.

edit: What prostyle QBs are on your list?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

edit: What prostyle QBs are on your list?

CJ Beathard - Iowa

Tommie Armstrong Jr - Nebraska

Patrick Towles - Boston College (Kentucky grad transfer)

I'm assuming that Mark Richt will get Kaaya into a more pro-style scheme. There's a few teams that I haven't watched enough to know exactly what they run.

Edit - I figure I might as well post the list while I've got it open. Major work in progress. Guys listed at the bottom are underclassmen that might declare. The lack of DB's is because I'm not bothering with them this year unless I get some All-22 footage. If anyone has a suggestion for the list, let me know - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sKjS_k5oDm7qJE4g83CKXvDxEulWFmNhYFu3_BKP2lg/edit#gid=0

Edited by Blokestradamus

CJ Beathard - Iowa

Tommie Armstrong Jr - Nebraska

Patrick Towles - Boston College (Kentucky grad transfer)

I'm assuming that Mark Richt will get Kaaya into a more pro-style scheme. There's a few teams that I haven't watched enough to know exactly what they run.

Michigan has 6'6" 240 pound sophomore, curious to see if he starts.

A lot of the big 10 teams do and there is Stanford

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.