2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UCLA LT Conor McDermott looks to be a Taylor Decker clone. Similar stature, technique, basketball background, inherent weakness with pad level. Even wear the same number.

Both have plenty of power and nasty in the run game. McDermott will be 24 this October so that might hamper his value.

Big issue is durability. Left the Stanford game in the 1st. Left the Utah game in the 3rd. Two previous shoulder surgeries.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Deshaun Watson vs Baker Mayfield under pressure - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/732990233466179585

Watson vs Brad Kaaya under pressure - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/738061682400845824

Can't convince myself that Watson is a 1st round calibre QB at this point. I know Kaaya isn't one at this point. Mayfield might be but he needs to meet certain physical thresholds.

who is that in your avatar?

I have watched quite a bit of Watson, and I feel like I'm in the minority and agree with you. I think he needs to show a bit more this season before I would think he is a 1st round calibre QB. He needs to be better under pressure, which you have highlighted and he needs to throw more anticipatory throws. I don't think he does a great job reading defense post-snap either. And while his ball placement down the field is great, he struggles with placement on the short stuff. At this point, I think I like Goff and Wentz as passers more than I like Watson.

That's not to say he can't improve all of those things this season because he has improved every season thus far.

Everyone sees all the points and athleticism in the spread system and then thinks this will transfer over to the NFL but rarely does.

@TodaysPigskin

Check out first mock draft of 2017 to see who the #Patriots, #Jets, #Dolphins and #Bills wind up landing. https://t.co/8yDgWf9WGv

No. 15 to the Buffalo Bills (8 O/U, 40/1, 8-8): Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Why: The Bills did a great job by adding three players in the first three rounds who hopefully become starters in the front seven. Rex Ryan will want to build on that–assuming he is still here despite missing the playoffs and coming away with the 15th pick. Drafting an athletic defensive back like Jamal Adams, who bounced around the LSU defense from corner to nickelback before settling at safety, will allow them to help strengthen the cornerback tandem of Stephon Gilmore and Ronald Darby.

@TodaysPigskin

Check out first mock draft of 2017 to see who the #Patriots, #Jets, #Dolphins and #Bills wind up landing. https://t.co/8yDgWf9WGv

Why: The Bills did a great job by adding three players in the first three rounds who hopefully become starters in the front seven. Rex Ryan will want to build on that–assuming he is still here despite missing the playoffs and coming away with the 15th pick. Drafting an athletic defensive back like Jamal Adams, who bounced around the LSU defense from corner to nickelback before settling at safety, will allow them to help strengthen the cornerback tandem of Stephon Gilmore and Ronald Darby.

I've watched LSU a couple times recently and Adams is quite the hitter. Looks to have controlled aggression and superb instincts.

@TodaysPigskin

Why: The Bills did a great job by adding three players in the first three rounds who hopefully become starters in the front seven. Rex Ryan will want to build on thatassuming he is still here despite missing the playoffs and coming away with the 15th pick. Drafting an athletic defensive back like Jamal Adams, who bounced around the LSU defense from corner to nickelback before settling at safety, will allow them to help strengthen the cornerback tandem of Stephon Gilmore and Ronald Darby.

This would be a fine pick IMO. At this point I expect WR to be the target but a safety makes sense as well. I like Adams quite a bit. This year's LSU team has TONS of talent.

This would be a fine pick IMO. At this point I expect WR to be the target but a safety makes sense as well. I like Adams quite a bit. This year's LSU team has TONS of talent.

If they're picking the top half of the 1st then I don't think an extension for Taylor can be justified. If defense improves and nobody is fired then they're searching for a QB who can step in. If Rex, Whaley are canned then they're drafting someone.

If they're picking the top half of the 1st then I don't think an extension for Taylor can be justified. If defense improves and nobody is fired then they're searching for a QB who can step in. If Rex, Whaley are canned then they're drafting someone.

I'm just basing it on today. All indications seem to be that TT is in the rise. You can't really get a QB at 15 anyways. If they were picking 6th I may agree.

I think that Woods leaves after this year so a #2 will be the need. They could lose Graham and/or AW for different reasons. That would make safety a priority as well.

Interesting comments from Benjamin Allbright on Chad Kelly:

@AllbrightNFL Jun 14

Chad Kelly will probably get a shot on bloodlines, but there's nothing about this tape that says "NFL QB"

@AllbrightNFL Jun 14

Scout to me: Kelly is day 3/PUDFA at best, & that's if you're willing to put up with him off the field...short, middling tools, HS offense.

@AllbrightNFL Jun 14

Chad Kelly will probably get a shot on bloodlines, but there's nothing about this tape that says "NFL QB"

@AllbrightNFL Jun 14

Scout to me: Kelly is day 3/PUDFA at best, & that's if you're willing to put up with him off the field...short, middling tools, HS offense.

got a hell of an arm though but as my usual, I don't trust spread QBs.

got a hell of an arm though but as my usual, I don't trust spread QBs.

When I watched him, all I could think was that he's baby Jay Cutler. He's raw because of the disruption he's caused to his own career but he's just as 'toolsy' as someone like Cardale. He'll get a shot.

The big issue is off-field. Sociopathic tendencies.

I need Yolo to talk Pat Elflein with me. It's like someone took everything I love in an interior lineman and made him into a real boy.

He's the RG - https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/730788336999272448

great kid!! We are so fortunate he came back. Will make a huge difference on that young OL. He already graduated. He's playing Center this year.

He's really good. I thought that he was a 1st rounder this year if he came out.

I think he would've been my #2 interior OL behind Ryan Kelly and a fringe 1st rounder.

I think he'll probably test pretty average but he's so fundamentally sound. Just a powerful, square wrecking ball.

great kid!! We are so fortunate he came back. Will make a huge difference on that young OL. He already graduated. He's playing Center this year.

I've seen quite a few people with OSU connections talk him up as a human being. That's always a great first impression.

Great for his pro prospects if he can play C at a high level. I think he'll be fine, plays with power and leverage.

@AllbrightNFL Jun 14

@AllbrightNFL Jun 14

Wait, I thought we were supposed to tank for him this year. Now I'm confused.

UCLA LT Conor McDermott looks to be a Taylor Decker clone. Similar stature, technique, basketball background, inherent weakness with pad level. Even wear the same number.

Both have plenty of power and nasty in the run game. McDermott will be 24 this October so that might hamper his value.

Big issue is durability. Left the Stanford game in the 1st. Left the Utah game in the 3rd. Two previous shoulder surgeries.

But I've heard here that shoulder surgeries are routine and have zero impact on a player's career, right???

So, Caleb Brantley (Florida DT) might be a bit good.

https://vine.co/v/5u91mq0zK5b

I remember trying to watch video of Jonathan Bullard last year, and having Brantley keep drawing my attention.

He's an animal.

It's funny--I wasn't a huge Decker guy, but I really like McDermott. I think he may be a slightly better athlete, and I also think he does a better job getting his hands onto his target quicker.

I think if he can stay healthy he's got a shot to be a top-15 guy

It's funny--I wasn't a huge Decker guy, but I really like McDermott. I think he may be a slightly better athlete, and I also think he does a better job getting his hands onto his target quicker.

I think if he can stay healthy he's got a shot to be a top-15 guy

I'm curious about him. Only a one year full-time starter so logic suggests that he'll improve with experience. I want to see him healthy and sustaining blocks a little more.

Provided that Greg Roman stays, I think he'd fit what he seems to desire at RT (I know, potential 1st rounder on a RT, ewwwwww)

When I watched him, all I could think was that he's baby Jay Cutler. He's raw because of the disruption he's caused to his own career but he's just as 'toolsy' as someone like Cardale. He'll get a shot.

The big issue is off-field. Sociopathic tendencies.

:o that's kinda harsh. Don't think he will be a serial killer

:o that's kinda harsh. Don't think he will be a serial killer

We've all had disagreements with bouncers before. I don't think anyone sane tells people he's got an AK-47 in his truck and he'll use it unless they let him in. Hell, if he had a beard and a different complexion, that lands you in a one room hotel in Cuba. :lol:

I've heard other things that are less easily substantiated that are worrying if true.

We've all had disagreements with bouncers before. I don't think anyone sane tells people he's got an AK-47 in his truck and he'll use it unless they let him in. Hell, if he had a beard and a different complexion, that lands you in a one room hotel in Cuba. :lol:

I've heard other things that are less easily substantiated that are worrying if true.

Not anymore, that is preferred refuge status.

Where did you read that about the bouncer incident?

I'll tell you who's a football player: Adam Bisnowaty - OT/Pittsburgh

He's not a great athlete, and he need to bulk up his lower body to anchor against bull rushes, but this dude can play. He locates well, uses his kick-slide to reach defenders, can shed and work up to the 2nd level, and he's downright nasty.

Watching him pull and work toward the center in run blocking, he's a guy whose best fit may be at guard, but all I know is that I like this kid.

I'll be watching closely--he could be a mid-round pick that contributes early.

He's not a great athlete, and he need to bulk up his lower body to anchor against bull rushes, but this dude can play. He locates well, uses his kick-slide to reach defenders, can shed and work up to the 2nd level, and he's downright nasty.

Watching him pull and work toward the center in run blocking, he's a guy whose best fit may be at guard, but all I know is that I like this kid.

His buddy at LG, Dorian Johnson, is even better. Better LG prospect than Joshua Garnett (the 2016 28th overall pick). Not as big as Garnett but more agile with the same kind of power/nasty.

Bisnowaty kinda reminded me of Jack Conklin. Logic tells me that the NFL will want to move him to RT but guard is probably his most natural fit. I think he'll perform better in a phone booth than in space.

He's also had a back injury in 2013 and missed time in 14 and 15 with ankle issues. Those are red flag areas with OL for me.

Edit - While on the subject of Pitt, RB Qadree Ollison (Niagara Falls native & Canisius HS grad) is gonna be a good one.

Edited by Blokestradamus

His buddy at LG, Dorian Johnson, is even better. Better LG prospect than Joshua Garnett (the 2016 28th overall pick). Not as big as Garnett but more agile with the same kind of power/nasty.

Bisnowaty kinda reminded me of Jack Conklin. Logic tells me that the NFL will want to move him to RT but guard is probably his most natural fit. I think he'll perform better in a phone booth than in space.

He's also had a back injury in 2013 and missed time in 14 and 15 with ankle issues. Those are red flag areas with OL for me.

Definitely; I have DJ noted as a guy that I need to go back and focus on...he was getting some nice push in the run game from what I saw.

He has the frame to fill out more, I think Olineman would do well to add strongman into their training as this would help their overall strength and size.

I really hate analysis like this - http://draftbreakdown.com/outland-trophy-watch-list-includes-utah-ot-j-j-dielman/

And I quote:

"His struggles tend to be in pass protection, especially against defensive ends who have good hand play. Dielman doesn’t always win the hand battle at the snap and because of that, he loses balance and lunges in a desperate effort to recover"

"If he fails to elevate his play on the edge, he’ll likely project as a guard in the pros"

Okay Bryan, I can really see a guy with slow hands translating to guard. It's really !@#$ing lazy and it plays up to what should be a dead narrative.

I really hate analysis like this - http://draftbreakdown.com/outland-trophy-watch-list-includes-utah-ot-j-j-dielman/

And I quote:

"His struggles tend to be in pass protection, especially against defensive ends who have good hand play. Dielman doesnt always win the hand battle at the snap and because of that, he loses balance and lunges in a desperate effort to recover"

"If he fails to elevate his play on the edge, hell likely project as a guard in the pros"

Okay Bryan, I can really see a guy with slow hands translating to guard. It's really !@#$ing lazy and it plays up to what should be a dead narrative.

:lol:

I generally look for the following traits in transition guys:

- shorter limbs

- built lower to the ground

- better working toward the center than away

- gets lost in space

:lol:

I generally look for the following traits in transition guys:

- shorter limbs

- built lower to the ground

- better working toward the center than away

- gets lost in space

Pretty much the same as me. I'm not sure if arm length is crucial. I'd hate to be the guy that saw Joe Thomas with 32 1/2" arm length and called him a guard. :lol:

To be an effective C/G, patience is no virtue. Got to win the rep quickly. If the Fins are really playing Tunsil at G, he'll be declared a bust before their bye week.

@ChaseGoodbread

Freeze also notes Chad Kelly suffers from ADD, but considers it a challenge he can overcome in going to the NFL.

Hugh Freeze on Chad Kelly: "The transition to the NFL game for him will be more mental than physical."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.