2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ Beathard - Iowa

Tommie Armstrong Jr - Nebraska

Patrick Towles - Boston College (Kentucky grad transfer)

I'm assuming that Mark Richt will get Kaaya into a more pro-style scheme. There's a few teams that I haven't watched enough to know exactly what they run.

Edit - I figure I might as well post the list while I've got it open. Major work in progress. Guys listed at the bottom are underclassmen that might declare. The lack of DB's is because I'm not bothering with them this year unless I get some All-22 footage. If anyone has a suggestion for the list, let me know - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sKjS_k5oDm7qJE4g83CKXvDxEulWFmNhYFu3_BKP2lg/edit#gid=0

How about this guy; http://gogriz.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2551&path=football

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I'm aware of him. Below certain statistical thresholds at the FCS level.

If DB puts videos up, I'll watch him. Just not sure about why he's getting hype outside of really tall, white.

Here's the NDSU game last year (granted, it's a Jamaal Jones vid, but hey, it'll suffice):

Here's the NDSU game last year (granted, it's a Jamaal Jones vid, but hey, it'll suffice):

Cheers, Bandit. I think I have that game recorded or downloaded somewhere.

I'm terribly disorganised, don't let the spreadsheets fool you. :lol:

Edited by Blokestradamus

Yep, know anything about him?

Aside from his measurables, I don't know much about him. Wilton Speight played mostly in mop up duty last year.

Michigan has yet to name a starter for this season, and knowing Harbaugh, that won't happen until the day before the first game. Which is practically what they did with Jake Rudock last season.

They have 2 Seniors, Shane Morris & John O'Korn, whom they are also looking at as well. I think Speight is the favorite, but who knows?

They are also very high on Freshman Brandon Peters, but I'd be surprised if they went with him this soon.

And as if by magic. 2 games of Gustafson - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/brady-gustafson/

Nice arm, good size, a lot of one look reads, could be a Lynch type.

One thing I don't understand about the spread how can you have so few reads when you have usually 4 wide, are the other WRs just decoys?

One thing I don't understand about the spread how can you have so few reads when you have usually 4 wide, are the other WRs just decoys?

It's a numbers game. Bryce Petty saying that he can now identify defensive fronts on Madden as a 2nd year NFL QB is terrifying. Kids should know this stuff when they're in high school.

Some teams just ask their QB to count. If you've got a 5 man box, run. If you've got a 6 man box, it's about picking your numbers/matchup advantage on the perimeter. There's not much nuance at the heart of it.

It's a numbers game. Bryce Petty saying that he can now identify defensive fronts on Madden as a 2nd year NFL QB is terrifying. Kids should know this stuff when they're in high school.

Some teams just ask their QB to count. If you've got a 5 man box, run. If you've got a 6 man box, it's about picking your numbers/matchup advantage on the perimeter. There's not much nuance at the heart of it.

I remember reading an article last year Where Bryce basically said all theses reads and protections where new to him and wish he learned it in college.

And as if by magic. 2 games of Gustafson - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/brady-gustafson/

That game against NDSU in the playoffs is straight garbage. Could've had 3 Pick-6's in 28 minutes of play.

The kid has only played 7 games (broke his leg vs Liberty mid-season) so I'll hold off complete judgement until he's had a better run of games but he's not the next Wentz.

Why does anyone look at a 2017 mock draft in June 2016?

To get an idea who the top talents are heading into the CFB season.

That, and also there's not much else to talk about regarding football at this time of year.

Deshaun Watson vs Baker Mayfield under pressure - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/732990233466179585

Watson vs Brad Kaaya under pressure - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/738061682400845824

Can't convince myself that Watson is a 1st round calibre QB at this point. I know Kaaya isn't one at this point. Mayfield might be but he needs to meet certain physical thresholds.

Deshaun Watson vs Baker Mayfield under pressure - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/732990233466179585

Watson vs Brad Kaaya under pressure - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/738061682400845824

Can't convince myself that Watson is a 1st round calibre QB at this point. I know Kaaya isn't one at this point. Mayfield might be but he needs to meet certain physical thresholds.

I have watched quite a bit of Watson, and I feel like I'm in the minority and agree with you. I think he needs to show a bit more this season before I would think he is a 1st round calibre QB. He needs to be better under pressure, which you have highlighted and he needs to throw more anticipatory throws. I don't think he does a great job reading defense post-snap either. And while his ball placement down the field is great, he struggles with placement on the short stuff. At this point, I think I like Goff and Wentz as passers more than I like Watson.

That's not to say he can't improve all of those things this season because he has improved every season thus far.

I have watched quite a bit of Watson, and I feel like I'm in the minority and agree with you. I think he needs to show a bit more this season before I would think he is a 1st round calibre QB. He needs to be better under pressure, which you have highlighted and he needs to throw more anticipatory throws. I don't think he does a great job reading defense post-snap either. And while his ball placement down the field is great, he struggles with placement on the short stuff. At this point, I think I like Goff and Wentz as passers more than I like Watson.

That's not to say he can't improve all of those things this season because he has improved every season thus far.

The ball placement is the issue that first jumped out. It's fine margins but better placement might mean 25-50 yards more YAC over the course of a game.

Watson does have a lot of good traits. Really strong arm, can make every throw with appropriate velocity. His bucket throw is gorgeous when he makes the right decision to target it (getting Williams back will only strengthen that). Escapability in the pocket is a plus but really needs to stand tall and deliver when he can instead of looking to run away from pressure. Played around 205-207 last year, would like to see him bulk up a bit because he takes a lot of shots as a runner.

Biggest issue for me is consistency with his feet. It's too much like backyard football with him. One throw vs Oklahoma, he rolls out right and fires a TD to Renfrow. On the face of it, great placement, big time throw. When you watch his base on delivery, he actually throws it on his tiptoe. When he has to come to backside reads, his feet don't line up great and he tends to fire high/wide. Similar issue to Wentz but not as pronounced. I'm a stickler for a consistent process so Watson annoys me.

Texas A&M looks like a tire fire with every QB and top QB prospects leaving but Myles Garrett is the best player in college football. Then again Nkemdiche and in the past Bowers were also considered the best player going into their draft eligible season.

I've watched a bunch of 2017 eligible QB's and I think I'm happy with how I'd rank them. I decided to exclude JT Barrett because his sophomore season was so disjointed and I really didn't want to use freshman film to judge him. He's unquestioned as OSU's starter for next season so the tape will be there eventually. Other notables not on the list are Mason Rudolph (OK St), Trevor Knight (Texas A&M) and whoever wins the ND job.

1) Baker Mayfield - Oklahoma

2) Deshaun Watson - Clemson

3) Brad Kaaya - Miami

4) Patrick Mahomes - Texas Tech

5) Gunner Kiel - Cincinnati

6) Luke Falk - Washington State

7) Chad Kelly - Ole Miss

8) Cooper Rush - Central Michigan

9) CJ Beathard - Iowa

10) Sefo Liufau - Colorado

11) Seth Russell - Baylor

12) Brady Gustafson - Montana

13) Patrick Towles - Boston College (Kentucky transfer)

14) Joshua Dobbs - Tennessee

15) Mitch Leidner - Minnesota

I feel that Mayfield is the outstanding QB of the class but people will pick apart his game because of his size.

Nice list Blokes

I think our boy Gunner Kiel has a chance to make a comeback; I'll be watching closely

I'm with you on Mayfield as well

The guy I'm most intrigued by is Mahomes--the physical talent is all there; he's got to make faster decisions with the ball and re-point his release a bit to get more control over some of his wild throws.

Nice list Blokes

I think our boy Gunner Kiel has a chance to make a comeback; I'll be watching closely

I'm with you on Mayfield as well

The guy I'm most intrigued by is Mahomes--the physical talent is all there; he's got to make faster decisions with the ball and re-point his release a bit to get more control over some of his wild throws.

Kiel needs to stay healthy for a full season before I commit completely. Talent is there but he seems to get hurt every year.

Mahomes is quitting baseball so that should get rid of that awful sidearm delivery. If they could protect him better, that would be a huge thing for him. He'll get slated for running a lot but he kinda has to because that OL is abysmal. I love the fact that he runs to pass a lot, good head on his shoulders.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.