Bears release Matt Slauson -Signed w/ San Diego

JM57

F5 and hoping we're not just leverage to get him a better deal in San Diego. One would hope his familiarity with Rex and Kromer tilts this in our favor.

Yeah, any way you look at it we are thin at guard and in dire need at OT. I doubt if this player will be moved to tackle. How about you?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a great move.

If Slauson and Miller struggle at RT and RG you could slide Slauson to guard and have Mills fill in at Tackle.

Too much depth is never a bad thing.

I agree Scott. If he is any good at all at Guard we need him. I don't care if he ever plays tackle.

Anyone know if we are the first or second visit? Seen conflicting reports. I generally feel better about our prospects regardless now. Before if we were the first, I'd assume leverage. Now I think we can hook him before the other team has a shot. And if we're the second stop, I- for the first time in forever- think that SD could be the team he's leveraging. Land em' Dougie

we are the 2nd visit

@sdutgehlken

Former Bears G/C Matt Slauson is visiting the Chargers today, source confirms. Also has visit planned with Bills. 85 starts since 2010.

Slauson is your prototypical big ole Nebraska Cornhusker OL, sporting a Grizzly Adams beard and considered by his Bear teammates the toughest guy on the team; plays old school style.

SIGN HIM

He's from Oregon. He looks like he throws 20 foot logs around as his form of weight training.

:lol:

If you're really in win now mode, this is a move you make. The kid was average on his best days last year. If you want Tyrod to stay on the field, better shore up the OL however you can

as a 3rd rd rookie... He'll be much better this year with a full year in the system...

For me if we have the cash to sign one OL I want someone who can play tackle. I know hating on John Miller has been a popular off-season pastime around these parts but I have watched every snap and there is something to work with there. I think he can be a solid starter for a long time at RG. The weakest position on our line without a single doubt is RT and having an experienced and capable vet OT alongside Miller would, without doubt in my mind, improve the guard play. At right tackle our current options are a bust, an inconsistent (and when he is bad he is very bad) 3rd year player with a health issue and a guy whose ceiling is decent backup RT.

Slauson makes sense if Kromer and Rex think he can slide over to RT because he gives you positional versatility if needed.

What is the date when Free Agents can be signed and NOT count toward the net/net FA signings wrt compensatory picks? I don't think Whaley will try to sign anybody until after that date. He wants to acquire some comp pick(s) next year - which will make up for trading away the 2017 4th rounder.

I'm pretty sure either way Slauson wouldn't count as he was cut by the Bears and not a true UFA ie guy whose contract ran out.

For me if we have the cash to sign one OL I want someone who can play tackle. I know hating on John Miller has been a popular off-season pastime around these parts but I have watched every snap and there is something to work with there. I think he can be a solid starter for a long time at RG. The weakest position on our line without a single doubt is RT and having an experienced and capable vet OT alongside Miller would, without doubt in my mind, improve the guard play. At right tackle our current options are a bust, an inconsistent (and when he is bad he is very bad) 3rd year player with a health issue and a guy whose ceiling is decent backup RT.

Slauson makes sense if Kromer and Rex think he can slide over to RT because he gives you positional versatility if needed.

I'm with you on this. Give Miller two good vets on either side and watch him improve. At worst, he slides in to RG and one of the others steps in at RT. Edited by Rubes

I agree Scott. If he is any good at all at Guard we need him. I don't care if he ever plays tackle.

He brings experience and leadership too. Plus, even though he is more experienced at G, the fact that he can play RT and maybe C is a big plus. Henderson, Velasco and Miller can fight it out but the overall line quality and depth will be a lot better on that right side.