RD 5, Pick 156: RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas

Why does everyone say we need WR? Woods was hurt all year and still played. Sammy is Sammy. How many targets is any rookie from the 4th/5th round going to get? 1 per game? Meanwhile it is easy to see the RB contributing a lot.

I can see OT or SS, but unless there is someone specific you have in mind that goes between this pick and our next then it doesn't matter. Do you have someone in mind? Do they have a name?

I agree regarding WR. I think I'd rather take a chance that at least one of Hankerson, Little, Boykin and Salas works out than a lower round rookie.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree regarding WR. I think I'd rather take a chance that at least one of Hankerson, Little, Boykin and Salas works out than a lower round rookie.

Hankerson, Little, Boykin, and Salas are the NFL version of discarded tickets on the ground a horse track. 99.99% of them are losers but there will still be a guy looking through them. At least with a draft choice you have the mystery of the unknown.

The '05 Saints had Az Hakim, Devery Henderson, Michael Lewis, Joe Horn, Donte Stallworth and Nathan Poole. A decent set of WRs. They picked Marques Colston in the 7th round the next Spring. I don't think they were sad about it.

The BIlls are the ones that signed him to that contract...what would that say about them?

My goodness. How many different ways can you say the same thing over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over?

you mean the thread on WRs

I think we need WR depth, glad we got ourselves one today. That's what people have been calling for. Someone to challenge for #3.

Wow, this one strayed way, way off topic. A referendum on the GM. A referendum on the HC. A referendum on the WRs.

So, how about the newest Williams?

I think our rookie brings something that those players do not bring to the team however......

This guy is not just fast......anyone notice how well he tracks that ball in the air?

Finding late round gems (if that is what he is) are what helps teams manage their salary caps and get to the playoffs. Our QB throws a great deep ball....this guy is obviously a deep ball threat

This is my favorite pick this year. It's a bigger need than some of the thread's early responders realized. It's a little like the Darby pick last year in that it makes more sense once you've had time to chew it over. Both McCoy and karlos are injury risks and Shady is gone in a year or three.

This gives them a one cut and up the field runner who will go with the play, with the power to tag on yards on the end of the run. I'm picturing Frank Gore running wild in Roman's offense...this seems a truly perfect fit. Throw in the surprising elusiveness for such a big guy, and his instincts as a runner. Maybe I'm over excited but I think we just hit a home run here that will help this offense for a long time.

He probably plays this year one way or another.

Edited by Aaron

Hankerson, Little, Boykin, and Salas are the NFL version of discarded tickets on the ground a horse track. 99.99% of them are losers but there will still be a guy looking through them. At least with a draft choice you have the mystery of the unknown.

The '05 Saints had Az Hakim, Devery Henderson, Michael Lewis, Joe Horn, Donte Stallworth and Nathan Poole. A decent set of WRs. They picked Marques Colston in the 7th round the next Spring. I don't think they were sad about it.

Hogan says hello from WR cast off island. Is he the 1 in 10,000 you are talking about cause I think your math is WRONG.

Back on topic, I didn't know anything about this pick, and originally scoffed at a RB pick. Looking closer I am very excited to get a high ceiling player at skill position of need. I have been very excited with how this draft played out. Sorta wondering what we can get from the UDFA class.

Love this pick. He only participated in non contact drills at the Senior Bowl but looked pretty good. Phil Savage called him "the sleeper RB of this draft class".

Great potential here, with high upside, which is exactly what you want from mid to late picks.

The reason fans don't have NFL jobs is because we are not willing to look at things short, mid and long term. The best GMs are. My immediate reaction to the pick I knew nothing about was negative. I wanted a WR or S. But the reason only 30 people in the world have these jobs is they go with their gut and play percentages. But you still may have been wrong about two or three.

The reason fans don't have NFL jobs is because we are not willing to look at things short, mid and long term. The best GMs are. My immediate reaction to the pick I knew nothing about was negative. I wanted a WR or S. But the reason only 30 people in the world have these jobs is they go with their gut and play percentages. But you still may have been wrong about two or three.

OK, I know Jerrah doesn't count. What other team doesn't have a GM?

OK, I know Jerrah doesn't count. What other team doesn't have a GM?

Cleveland doesn't have a real one. Sashi Brown is the one who talks in place of the GM but he has no real football background. His title is "VP of football operations" ... Kind of like what Russ Brandon was a few years back Edited by YoloinOhio

This is my favorite pick this year. It's a bigger need than some of the thread's early responders realized. It's a little like the Darby pick last year in that it makes more sense once you've had time to chew it over. Both McCoy and karlos are injury risks and Shady is gone in a year or three.

Yea, "needs" can change in a heartbeat

My goodness. How many different ways can you say the same thing over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over?

I think we need WR depth, glad we got ourselves one today. That's what people have been calling for. Someone to challenge for #3.

Wow, this one strayed way, way off topic. A referendum on the GM. A referendum on the HC. A referendum on the WRs.

So, how about the newest Williams?

I like the kid.

What did Fred weigh in his prime?

any thoughts on the rotation if Williams shows decently pre season ota etc ?

He said he has not played ST. But Gillislee can. But says he can block and catch.

Is Felton going to still be here? Not sure about his cap hit.

better ?

This gives them a one cut and up the field runner who will go with the play, with the power to tag on yards on the end of the run. I'm picturing Frank Gore running wild in Roman's offense...this seems a truly perfect fit. Throw in the surprising elusiveness for such a big guy, and his instincts as a runner. Maybe I'm over excited but I think we just hit a home run here that will help this offense for a long time.

He probably plays this year one way or another.

BTW the line will likely allow him to do just that this year. so well stated Aaron.

On another note, how much time does McCoy have left as a Bill? one or two years?

Love this pick. He only participated in non contact drills at the Senior Bowl but looked pretty good. Phil Savage called him "the sleeper RB of this draft class".

Great potential here, with high upside, which is exactly what you want from mid to late picks.

Whaley called him a 3rd-4th.

HIGHLIGHTS OF jONATHAN WILLIAMS FOR THOSE WHO MISSED IT EARLIER IN THE THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQBZWUznSI

It seems to me RB is a spot like QB in that you take one every year until you hit. The difference is at RB you can take them in late rounds. Karlos' concussions are something to fear. To me it makes sense.

It makes a lot of sense, I hated the pick at 1st until I had time to think it out and remember last years injury bug AND Karlos playing style might keep him off the field after his 1st contract cuz of concussions, Gillislee is good damn good, and McCoy is getting up there for an athlete at RB. Im very happy with the pick after seeing his highlights, cant wait to see him play in pre-season.

@christrapasso
#Bills got my RB2 in Jonathan Williams. RD2 grade. Didn't play in '15. ACL. But '14 film is Zeke-like. Awesome vision, cutting & esp balance

after seeing the highlight video here his balance is insane dude!!! reminds me of F-jax with his stutter step. Its a great pick for a 5th rnd.

But Whaley is terrible, right? So terrible he brought Gillespie off the street who performed well. :rolleyes:

Whaley gets way more hate then he deserves. He just had the best draft of his life I hope we keep Whaley if Rex gets canned.

Alex Collins was by far the more explosive RB at ARK... I didn't even know he was in this draft until SEA grabbed him. -Still, Williams is OK.

hes ok? After watching these highlights dude is a baller Freddy 2.0 with that similar stutter step and upright running style. I could see him passing Karlos on the depth chart If the foot is healed and he hasnt regressed.

I was right there with you on the WR or S. Then after remembering last years RB shenanigans and the fact we ARE a running team I understood it. THEN I SAW THE HIGHLIGHT TAPE and I was like O ****. Whaley got a bargain on a baller. Now I really like the pick dude is awesome. def gonna challenge Karlos for #2 on the depth chart and hes a HUGE upgrade to boobie, ciere wood, heron, anyone else im missing? GIllislee is damn good too our RB stable is set.

hes ok? After watching these highlights dude is a baller Freddy 2.0 with that similar stutter step and upright running style. I could see him passing Karlos on the depth chart If the foot is healed and he hasnt regressed.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I wouldn't be shocked if this is our most productive back this year, per touch. He looks like a perfect fit.

BTW the line will likely allow him to do just that this year. so well stated Aaron.

Hope you're right my friend. Woulda loved some help up front :lol:

Shady now has a backup in JWilliams, and Karlos has a backup in James Wilder Jr. For camp, Felton has a backup in BabyGronk. Gillislee is battling JWilliams and will lose. One of the talking heads called Jonathan the steal of the round.